Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder

Started by Too_Many_Tools January 10, 2006
I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder.

Does something like this exist?

Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to
record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart
recorder?

Thanks for any leads.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder. > > Does something like this exist? > > Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to > record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart > recorder? > > Thanks for any leads. > > TMT >
Inexpensive and "strip chart recorder" are mutually exclusive. Yes, there are lots of addons, google gets tons of hits "http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=analog+data+recorders" The next question is: "how much do you want to spend ?? " Portable, USB, serial, .... lots of questions. What are you trying to measure will determine what kind of analog data recorder to buy. donald
I would agree...I am surprised that in today's world of electronics
that an inexpensive turnkey appliance is not available.

The uses for something like this is many....and I am not trying to be
specific since this will be used to measure a number of physical
parameters.

Let's say one wants a digital solution to what a old HP 680 Strip Chart
Recorder would work for...is there anything out there today that works
the same?

TMT

>I would agree...I am surprised that in today's world of electronics > that an inexpensive turnkey appliance is not available. > > The uses for something like this is many....and I am not trying to be > specific since this will be used to measure a number of physical > parameters. > > Let's say one wants a digital solution to what a old HP 680 Strip Chart > Recorder would work for...is there anything out there today that works > the same? > > TMT
Radio Shack used to sell a Metex VOM (Metex ME-11) that had a serial port output and software that made essentially a data logger which you could then pop into an excel or Quattro spreadsheet and massage the data anyway you liked. I bought two of them from their on-line catalog when they were on sale maybe 3 years ago, suspect you can still find them, maybe with an USB port these days. I use one of mine for metering the transmitted signal from NAA to detect SIDS. Lots more practical than my old Rustrak strip chart recorder, I can just throw away the "uninteresting" data and not use any paper at all. The other one is just a backup for my Fluke 77. W4ZCB
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder. > > Does something like this exist? > > Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to > record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart > recorder? > > Thanks for any leads. > > TMT >
I don't know if the software is available, separately, but for $25 you can buy a 4 channel analog digitizer that comes with such software. http://www.dataq.com/194.htm
On 10 Jan 2006 17:47:31 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
<too_many_tools@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I would agree...I am surprised that in today's world of electronics >that an inexpensive turnkey appliance is not available. > >The uses for something like this is many....and I am not trying to be >specific since this will be used to measure a number of physical >parameters. > >Let's say one wants a digital solution to what a old HP 680 Strip Chart >Recorder would work for...is there anything out there today that works >the same?
Something like the USB-1208LS from Measurement Computing (I'd post a link but their referral/tag/cookie system seems to want two or three lines for the URL) plus an old laptop PC might do the trick. It's a relatively inexpensive USB gadget that comes with basic "strip chart" software as a demo app. They have other, faster, and more expensive models and more software, of course. IIRC, they still include their Universal Library w/ the device, so you can write your own apps with your own look & feel. Higher end stuff is available from places like http://www.astro-med.com/ ... and priced accordingly. Good gear, though. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
OK, So the spec's are: not battery operated and must weight in at about 15 pounds. ;-) I have used some of the smaller devices at : http://www.dataq.com/c_cr/index.htm There will be trade offs on "chart speed" = sample rate and resolution (step size) and max input voltage. good luck donald

Sure Look For Data loggers. DataQ makes some cheap ones www.DataQ.com
"Round Robin Database Tool" - RRDTool - can possibly be hacked into submission: http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

http://www.picotech.com/ do a number of devices that may be suitable.