RS-485 Troubleshooting

Started by RahulS January 25, 2006
RahulS wrote:
> > I am using SP483EN chip for RS485 signals. I used oscilloscope to > test the differential signals. The signals were not differential > in nature. When i short the CRO ground and RS485+, it works. When > i monitor the waveform between RS485+ and GND, the waveform is > correct. When i monitor the waveform between RS485- and GND, the > waveform is correct. But when i monitor the waveform between > RS485+ and RS485-, the waveform is incorrect.
This sounds as if the RS485 network is incorrectly terminated and biased. Always include adequate context in your replies. Even if using broken Google usenet interface, when you can follow the instructions below. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
On 25 Jan 2006 03:02:45 -0800, RahulS wrote:

> Hi, > I am using Rabbit development board which has separate ports for RS232 > and Rs485. Right now i am using a single port both as RS232 as well as > RS485. > The port works fine for RS232 signals but for RS485 signals, the > differential output is not proper.I think there is some problem with > the differential voltages. > Please help.
Is it 2-wire or 4-wire RS485? If it's 2-wire (half duplex) make sure you are switching the transceiver at the proper time from transmit to receive. Bob
"Bob Stephens" <roberts@dcxchol.com> wrote in message
> On 25 Jan 2006 03:02:45 -0800, RahulS wrote: > >> Hi, >> I am using Rabbit development board which has separate ports for RS232 >> and Rs485. Right now i am using a single port both as RS232 as well as >> RS485. >> The port works fine for RS232 signals but for RS485 signals, the >> differential output is not proper.I think there is some problem with >> the differential voltages. >> Please help. > > Is it 2-wire or 4-wire RS485? If it's 2-wire (half duplex) make sure you > are switching the transceiver at the proper time from transmit to receive.
And, as I've said a few times, don't forget the ground reference (i.e. those 2 or 4 signals are measured relative to a common 0V reference - miss this out and fun will ensue. Not). Steve (who is therefore in the habit of referring to 3- and 5-wire RS485 architectures) http://www.fivetrees.com
Steve at fivetrees wrote:
> "Bob Stephens" <roberts@dcxchol.com> wrote in message > news:hewtwp16d2b6.1r7fp0inum465$.dlg@40tude.net... > > On 25 Jan 2006 03:02:45 -0800, RahulS wrote: > > > >> Hi, > >> I am using Rabbit development board which has separate ports for RS232 > >> and Rs485. Right now i am using a single port both as RS232 as well as > >> RS485. > >> The port works fine for RS232 signals but for RS485 signals, the > >> differential output is not proper.I think there is some problem with > >> the differential voltages. > >> Please help. > > > > Is it 2-wire or 4-wire RS485? If it's 2-wire (half duplex) make sure you > > are switching the transceiver at the proper time from transmit to receive. > > And, as I've said a few times, don't forget the ground reference (i.e. those > 2 or 4 signals are measured relative to a common 0V reference - miss this > out and fun will ensue. Not). > > Steve > (who is therefore in the habit of referring to 3- and 5-wire RS485 > architectures) > http://www.fivetrees.com
Three connections were tried as follows: 1. CRO channel 1, its signal pin connected to 485+ its ground pin connected to ground we can see continuous rectangular waveforms ( on -off- on -off ) as i am sending data 1 and 0 alternately but continuously data can be seen on hyperterminal ( with 485-232 convertor in between) 2. CRO channel 1, its signal pin connected to 485+ its ground pin connected to ground similar ouput. 3.CRO channel 1, its signal pin connected to 485+ its ground pin connected to 485- no waveform observed ( coincides with reference line on CRO) 4.CRO channel 1, its signal pin connected to 485+ its ground pin connected to 485- its ground pin touched to 485+ ( indirectly it becomes case 1 ) rectangular waveform observed, data can be seen on hyperterminal ( with 485-232 convertor in between) please note that I am only using differential output and not ground for communication of two devices
"RahulS" <rahuls@kpitcummins.com> wrote in message
> Three connections were tried as follows: > 1. CRO channel 1, > its signal pin connected to 485+ > its ground pin connected to ground > > we can see continuous rectangular waveforms ( on -off- on -off ) as i > am sending data 1 and 0 alternately but continuously > data can be seen on hyperterminal ( with 485-232 convertor in between)
Good. If you can see data in hyperterminal, everything seems to be ok.
> 2. CRO channel 1, > its signal pin connected to 485+ > its ground pin connected to ground > > similar ouput.
Typo? Do you mean 485+ or 485-?
> > 3.CRO channel 1, > its signal pin connected to 485+ > its ground pin connected to 485- > > no waveform observed ( coincides with reference line on CRO)
Logical. You short-circuit 485- to ground through the ground of the CRO.
> 4.CRO channel 1, > its signal pin connected to 485+ > its ground pin connected to 485- > its ground pin touched to 485+ ( indirectly it becomes case 1 )
I have no clou as to what you are doing now???? The only proper way to measure this is to connect CRO channel 1 to 485+, ground to ground and CRO channel 2 to 485- and ground to ground. Observe both waveforms simultaneaously on the screen, they should be in opposite phase and all the flanks matching.
> rectangular waveform observed, data can be seen on hyperterminal ( with > 485-232 convertor in between) > > please note that I am only using differential output and not ground for > communication of two devices
Which is bad, because the common mode voltage on RS485 may not exceed 7V. Always use a ground connection too. Meindert
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:47:41 +0100, Meindert Sprang wrote:

>> we can see continuous rectangular waveforms ( on -off- on -off ) as i >> am sending data 1 and 0 alternately but continuously >> data can be seen on hyperterminal ( with 485-232 convertor in between) > > Good. If you can see data in hyperterminal, everything seems to be ok.
I agree with Meindert. If you're reading the data with HT, then you should be good to go. Having said that however, I recently had some reliability problems with a PCMCIA RS485 card, and needed to add 620 ohm biasing resistors from RS485+ to VCC and RS485- to ground in addition to a 120 ohm terminating resistor across the pair. Bob

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference