Motorola S-Record Format

Started by Jürgen Veith February 6, 2006
"rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> writes:
> Everett M. Greene wrote: > > "rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> writes: > > > It was not obvious or even accurate. The answer to the OP's question > > > was not on the first link or likely any of the links. He was asking > > > what the tools put into the S0 record. If you read the link it says > > > that the S0 record contains among other things... > > > > > > description is char[0-36] and is a text comment > > > > Where did you find a supposed 36-character limit specified? > > http://www.amelek.gda.pl/avr/uisp/srecord.htm > > go to the description for the S0 record type... > > S0 Record. The type of record is 'S0' (0x5330). The address field is > unused and will be filled with zeros (0x0000). The header information > within the data field is divided into the following subfields. > > mname is char[20] and is the module name. > ver is char[2] and is the version number. > rev is char[2] and is the revision number. > description is char[0-36] and is a text comment. > > 36 is for just the text comment, but this may be the ascii which is > represented by two char in the Srecord for a total of 72 char. But > that was my point. There is a lot of info on the Srecord format, but > much of it is incomplete and/or misleading. I don't think much of > being rude or even just negative in the forums. This was an example > that was completely unjustified.
The preceding sounds as if it's someone's specific S0 format and not a general description.
> > The format allows up to 99 characters and S-recs date back > > to (late) punchcard days, so being prepared for up to 80 > > characters would be wise. > > Do you have a reference that describes this? I have never found a > complete, definitive description of Srecords.
Complete I've found -- definitive is questionable. It would be Motorola's place to be definitive and I've never found anything from them.
Everett M. Greene wrote:
> "rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> writes: >>Do you have a reference that describes this? I have never found a >>complete, definitive description of Srecords. > > > Complete I've found -- definitive is questionable. It > would be Motorola's place to be definitive and I've > never found anything from them.
I've got 6 pages from a Motorola Evaluation Module User's Manual. But you've already found complete... Mel.
Mel Wilson wrote:
> Everett M. Greene wrote: > > "rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> writes: > >>Do you have a reference that describes this? I have never found a > >>complete, definitive description of Srecords. > > > > > > Complete I've found -- definitive is questionable. It > > would be Motorola's place to be definitive and I've > > never found anything from them. > > I've got 6 pages from a Motorola Evaluation Module User's Manual. But > you've already found complete...
I would love to see those 6 pages. :-)
rickman wrote:
> Mel Wilson wrote: >>I've got 6 pages from a Motorola Evaluation Module User's Manual. But >>you've already found complete... > > > I would love to see those 6 pages. :-) >
Turns out it's actually 4. The manual had one sheet of paper twice. I've scanned them, but haven't got them to my web space yet. I'll announce here when it's done. Mel.
Mel Wilson <mwilson@the-wire.com> writes:
> rickman wrote: > > Mel Wilson wrote: > >>I've got 6 pages from a Motorola Evaluation Module User's Manual. But > >>you've already found complete... > > > > I would love to see those 6 pages. :-) > > > Turns out it's actually 4. The manual had one sheet of paper twice. > I've scanned them, but haven't got them to my web space yet. I'll > announce here when it's done.
I'll save you the trouble of scanning. The following is specially imported from Italy:
> From: rizzodav@iol.it (Davide Rizzo) > Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k > Subject: Re: Motorola S1 format > Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:39:18 GMT > Organization: Italia Online
All the following is from the freeware as32 motorola assembler manual APPENDIX E S-RECORD INFORMATION E.1 INTRODUCTION The S-record output format encodes program and data object modules into a printable (ASCII) format. This allows viewing of the object file with standard tools and allows display of the module while transferring from one computer to the next or during loads between a host and target. The S-record format also includes information for use in error checking to insure the integrity of data transfers. E.2 S-RECORD CONTENT S-Records are character strings made of several fields which identify the record type, record length, memory address, code/data, and checksum. Each byte of binary data is encoded as a 2-character hexadecimal number: the first character representing the high-order 4 bits, and the second the low-order 4 bits of the byte. The 5 fields which comprise an S-record are: TYPE RECORD LENGTH ADDRESS CODE/DATA CHECKSUM The fields are defined as follows: FIELD CHARACTERS CONTENTS ----- ---------- -------- Type 2 S-record type - S0 through S9 Record 2 The count of the character pairs in the length record, excluding the type and record length. Address 4, 6, The 2-, 3-, or 4-byte address at which or 8 the data field is to be loaded into memory. Code/data 0-2n From 0 to n bytes of executable code, memory loadable data, or descriptive information. Checksum 2 The least significant byte of the one's complement of the sum of the values represented by the pairs of characters making up the record length, address, and the code/data fields. Each record may be terminated with a CR/LF/NULL. E.3 S-RECORD TYPES Several types of s-records have been defined to accommodate various encoding, transportation, and decoding needs. The MC68332 Freeware assembler uses the following types: S0 A record containing the filename encoded in ASCII hex characters. This is a dummy header file which is not used by Motorola evaluation systems. S1 A record containing code/data and the 2-byte address at which the code/data is to reside. S2 A record containing code/data and the 3-byte address at which the code/data is to reside S3 A record containing code/data and the 4-byte address at which the code/data is to reside S7 A termination record for a block of S3 records. The address field may optionally contain the 4-byte address of the instruction to which control is to be passed. If not specified, the first entry point specification encountered in the object module input will be used. There is no code/data field. S8 A termination record for a block of S2 records. The address field may optionally contain the 3-byte address of the instruction to which control is to be passed. If not specified, the first entry point specification encountered in the object module input will be used. There is no code/data field. S9 A termination record for a block of S1 records. The address field may optionally contain the 2-byte address of the instruction to which control is to be passed. If not specified, the first entry point specifica tion encountered in the object module input will be used. There is no code/data field. E.4 S-RECORD EXAMPLE The following is a typical S-record module: S1130000285F245F2212226A000424290008237C2A S11300100002000800082629001853812341001813 S113002041E900084E42234300182342000824A952 S107003000144ED492 S9030000FC The module consists of four code/data records and an S9 termination record. The first S1 code/data record is explained as follows: S1 S-record type S1, indicating a code/data record to be loaded/verified at a 2-byte address. 13 Hex 13 (decimal 19), indicating 19 character pairs, representing 19 bytes of binary data, follow. 00 Four-character 2-byte address field: hex address 0000, indicates location where the following data is to be loaded. The next 16 character pairs are the ASCII bytes of the actual program code/data. 2A Checksum of the first S1 record. The checksum is the complemented sum of byte value of all fields following the S1 field. The second and third S1 code/data records each also contain $13 character pairs and are ended with checksums. The fourth S1 code/data record contains 7 character pairs. S2 and S3 records are similiar except that the address field is 3 bytes and 4 bytes long, respectively. The S9 termination record is explained as follows: S9 S-record type S9, indicating a termination record. 03 Hex 03, indicating three character pairs (3 bytes) to follow. 00 Four character 2-byte address field, zeroes. 00 FC The two character, one-byte checksum field. The S6 and S7 termination records are similiar except for the larger address fields as noted earlier.
Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "Jürgen Veith" <janvi@t-online.de> wrote in message > news:43e783b1$0$350$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net... > > ok solved - the problem was not the S9 but the S0 line. > > The S0 line contains some unknown things like Compiler Version, comments > and > > the module name. That line was longer than the maximum 32 bytes of my > > buffer and therefore the program stopped with error message. I increased > > max line length to 64 and everything is fine now. > > > > Nevertheless, it would be nice, if anybody knows what secret codes the > > diffrent compilers store inside the S0 line. Probably I am going to > display > > this infos in my flasher window while flashing. > > Ok, crash course in self-help: > > 1. Open your internet browser > 2. enter www.google.com in the address bar. > 3. type "motorola s record" on the Google page > 4. click on the first link google found for you (16.600 hits found) > 5. start reading
Crash course in providing useful advice... if it ain't useful, keep it to yourself! I have been through this process and there are lots of *poor* references on s-records. I had to read a bunch of them to put together a complete (and hopefully accurate) description of s-records. Even then I was not sure it would work for all situations as there seems to be a lot of variability in how s-records are used. You don't need to be rude. That only makes you look stupid.
Ok, crash course in self-help: 1. Open your internet browser 2. enter www.google.com in the address bar. 3. type "motorola s record" on the Google page 4. click on the first link google found for you (16.600 hits found) 5. start reading Meindert
ok solved - the problem was not the S9 but the S0 line.
The S0 line contains some unknown things like Compiler Version, comments and
the module name. That line was longer than the maximum 32 bytes of my
buffer and therefore the program stopped with error message. I increased
max line length to 64 and everything is fine now.

Nevertheless, it would be nice, if anybody knows what secret codes the
diffrent compilers store inside the S0 line. Probably I am going to display
this infos in my flasher window while flashing.

Hi Jürgen,

Jürgen Veith wrote:
[ lots of assumptions about Motorola-S-Format]

I have never seen an S9 record used for something else than
for the "end record".
It seems your programming tool does not know where to put the
start vector.
Why don't you put something like

	org	0xfffe
	db	start_vec

into your source code (assuming assembler)?
Then there will be a S1 record with a start address
of FFFE and the start vector in it.

HTH
Wolfgang

--
From-address is Spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at

After changing old project software, I experienced problems while reading
the S-record file for flash programming. The previously used tool was a
very old DOS program no more available today. Fortunately, I now have a
self written tool in use what allows to examine the reason.

The suspicious section is at the file end, where the 16 bit start vector is
at last address of 64 k space (0xffff). The linker control file has a INIT
statement and linker with old DOS Programmer puts the adress of label
behind the INIT statement automatically at address 0xffff. Therefore the
last line of S-record looks like:

S9 03 1003 E9

S9 indicates last line of S-Record
03 indicates 3 data bytes in line
1003 is the start vector adress (what will be stored at location 0xffff)
E9 is the checksum

My flasher complains, becouse destination adress 0xffff is missing and he
does not know about the correct destination for the start vector in memory.
If I use own segment instead of INIT instruction, the start vector appears
in the line before last s-record line with correct adress and everything is
fine. The last line then looks like S0 03 FFFF FE what will be rejected by
my flasher. What is the meaning of S9 ? Is this incompability a bug of my
programmer or a bug of the linker or simply undocumented feature ?