What is a Hex buffer?

Started by Baxter June 22, 2006
"Grant Edwards" <grante@visi.com> wrote in message
news:129o27i9p0srpa1@corp.supernews.com...
> On 2006-06-23, Baxter <lbax02.spamguard@baxcode.com> wrote: > > >>>> "Hex" in this case just means there's 6 of 'em. (Not hexadecimal,
which
I understand it fine. However, for something like 20 years in my world, "Octal" meant an 8-bit value represented by a base-8 numbering system, while "Hex" means "Hexadecimal" which is a 16-bit value represented by a base-16 numbering system. I'm simply saying that, in my (software) environment, I'm used to "octal" being smaller than "hex". Thinking of it otherwise does not come natural.
> On 2006-06-23, Baxter <lbax02.spamguard@baxcode.com> wrote: > > > Still pretty murky to me. The Hex Buffer connects to various > > pins on a MSP430. Inside the MSP430, I'm setting the pin > > (voltage) high or low - I just can't quite picture how the Hex > > Buffer affects that. As far as that goes, I'm still wrestling > > a bit with the semantics of a "pull-up" resistor. > > When the input pin on an open-drain/open-collector buffer is > low, the output pin is shorted to ground. When the input pin > on an OC/OD buffer is high, the output pin is not connected to > anything. If you want the "not-connected" output pin state to > be high, you have to connect a resistor between the output pin > and V+. >
Ok, now this starts making some sense. The input pins on the buffer are connected to the Serial output of a Palm. We're talking the RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS, etc.
"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ken Asbury wrote: > > pjberg@webtv.net wrote: > >> Baxter, > >> > >> Does every message comes with your SPAM? > > > > Not that I appreciate spammers any more than you do but, in > > the 6 years I've been lurking here, Chuck Falconer has been ... > > I don't think his message had anything to do with me, but rather > with the (perfectly permissable) mild advertising in Baxters > original sig. line. I suspect you are being confused by atrocious > threading in the google display. Berg is just confused. >
Exactly right. Berg is a stalker. I prefer not to engage him in technical forums, and leave any interactions with him to the entertainment (political) forums.
Baxter wrote:
> I understand it fine. However, for something like 20 years in my world, > "Octal" meant an 8-bit value represented by a base-8 numbering system, while > "Hex" means "Hexadecimal" which is a 16-bit value represented by a base-16 > numbering system.
Hmm... Then how would you express 32-bit values? And 11-bit values? Sorry, couldn't resist, but it's Friday night anyway :) Vadim
I presume that was a typo. An octal digit represents a 3-bit value. A hexadecimal digit represents a 4-bit value. But I bet you knew that, really ;). Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
Steve at fivetrees wrote:
> "Baxter" <lbax02.spamguard@baxcode.com> wrote in message > news:129o3qqilr13v32@corp.supernews.com... > >>I understand it fine. However, for something like 20 years in my world, >>"Octal" meant an 8-bit value represented by a base-8 numbering system, >>while >>"Hex" means "Hexadecimal" which is a 16-bit value represented by a base-16 >>numbering system. I'm simply saying that, in my (software) environment, >>I'm >>used to "octal" being smaller than "hex". Thinking of it otherwise does >>not >>come natural. > > > I presume that was a typo.
I presume it was a thinko.
> An octal digit represents a 3-bit value. A > hexadecimal digit represents a 4-bit value.
Yes, but keeping more with the derivation, an octal digit can represent 8 possible values and a hexadecimal digit can represent 16 possible values. Back in seventh grade math class, we worked with base 7 and base 12 (septal and duodecimal?). As far as shortening hexadecimal to hex and getting confused, that what often happens with usage over time. I am guilty of abbreviating a mu, prefix for micro, with a similar looking Roman u. Some people probably think that "us" is the proper abbreviation for microseconds (uF, uV, uW, etc.). The ones that get me going are the use of capital S for seconds (SI symbol for Siemens) and K for kilo. -- Thad
"Thad Smith" <ThadSmith@acm.org> wrote in message
[snip]

> As far as shortening hexadecimal to hex and getting confused, that what > often happens with usage over time. I am guilty of abbreviating a mu, > prefix for micro, with a similar looking Roman u. Some people probably > think that "us" is the proper abbreviation for microseconds (uF, uV, uW, > etc.). The ones that get me going are the use of capital S for seconds > (SI symbol for Siemens) and K for kilo. > > -- > Thad
Of course you can use the correct abbreviation to deliberately confuse the general public. I saw a model railway in a visitor centre with warnings saying "Beware, High Voltage!!! 36,000mV". Peter
Peter wrote:
> "Thad Smith" <ThadSmith@acm.org> wrote in message > news:449cbd18$0$233$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com... > [snip] > >> As far as shortening hexadecimal to hex and getting confused, that what >> often happens with usage over time. I am guilty of abbreviating a mu, >> prefix for micro, with a similar looking Roman u. Some people probably >> think that "us" is the proper abbreviation for microseconds (uF, uV, uW, >> etc.). The ones that get me going are the use of capital S for seconds >> (SI symbol for Siemens) and K for kilo. >> >> -- >> Thad > > Of course you can use the correct abbreviation to deliberately confuse the > general public. I saw a model railway in a visitor centre with warnings > saying "Beware, High Voltage!!! 36,000mV". >
My grandfather (many years ago) told me of doing that, in the 1920's: "Danger! 4000mV" Kept the fingerpokers well away :)