April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Little to no benefit from C based HLS
posted by Christopher Felton

Unit Tests for Embedded Code
posted by Stephen Friederichs

DSPRelated and EmbeddedRelated now on Facebook & I will be at EE Live!
posted by Stephane Boucher

Using a RTLSDR dongle to validate NRF905 configuration
posted by fabien le mentec

Introduction to Microcontrollers

Chapter 1: Beginnings

Chapter 2: Further Beginnings

Chapter 3: Hello World

Chapter 4: More On GPIO

Chapter 5: Interrupts

Chapter 6: More On Interrupts

Chapter 7: Timers

Chapter 8: Adding Some Real-World Hardware

Chapter 9: More Timers and Displays

Chapter 10: Buttons and Bouncing

Chapter 11: Button Matrix & Auto Repeating

Chapter 12: Driving WS2812 RGB LEDs

Find us on Facebook

So far in April, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

AVRStudio4 - 2004-07-29 00:00:00

I am using the AVRStudio4 to create .hex files, but I find that it is
inserting code before the object I am trying to create.  I used
AVRStudio once before, but an earlier version and had great results
programming with my current setup.  However, the old version that
worked has been lost.  When I try to export, I have to use CVAVR and
go into terminal mode.  The files created by the new studio fail to
complete a programming of a chip, and files created by the old system
load fine.  What I have found is that the new version inserts
 :020000020000FC
at the beginning of every .hex file, and this makes my programmer
puke.  I presume the programmers Atmel intended to drive use this
initial code to set up for some common purpose, which my programmer, a
DIY K122, also from Atmel doesnt like it.  Does anyone here know a
setting in the new studio I need to set?  I have looked at everything
I can find.  This is the freeware version, and is not supported by
Atmel.  TIA

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.

Re: AVRStudio4 - Jack Klein - 2004-07-29 21:54:00

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:00:05 GMT, u...@nowhere.net wrote in
comp.arch.embedded:

> I am using the AVRStudio4 to create .hex files, but I find that it is
> inserting code before the object I am trying to create.  I used
> AVRStudio once before, but an earlier version and had great results
> programming with my current setup.  However, the old version that
> worked has been lost.  When I try to export, I have to use CVAVR and
> go into terminal mode.  The files created by the new studio fail to
> complete a programming of a chip, and files created by the old system
> load fine.  What I have found is that the new version inserts
>  :020000020000FC
> at the beginning of every .hex file, and this makes my programmer
> puke.  I presume the programmers Atmel intended to drive use this
> initial code to set up for some common purpose, which my programmer, a
> DIY K122, also from Atmel doesnt like it.  Does anyone here know a
> setting in the new studio I need to set?  I have looked at everything
> I can find.  This is the freeware version, and is not supported by
> Atmel.  TIA

Can't you write a little command line program in (C, BASIC, Perl,
whatever you like) that will copy a text file (that's all an Intel hex
file really is) to a new file, verifying that the first line contains
":020000020000FC", and leaving that line out of the copy?

You could add it to your makefile and it would add a fraction of a
second or so to your build.

Sometimes the simplest solution, especially if you are a programmer,
is to roll your own.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: AVRStudio4 - dmm - 2004-07-30 04:11:00

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:00:05 GMT, u...@nowhere.net wrote:

>I am using the AVRStudio4 to create .hex files, but I find that it is
>inserting code before the object I am trying to create.  I used
>AVRStudio once before, but an earlier version and had great results
>programming with my current setup.  However, the old version that
>worked has been lost.  When I try to export, I have to use CVAVR and
>go into terminal mode.  The files created by the new studio fail to
>complete a programming of a chip, and files created by the old system
>load fine.  What I have found is that the new version inserts
> :020000020000FC
>at the beginning of every .hex file, and this makes my programmer
>puke.  I presume the programmers Atmel intended to drive use this
>initial code to set up for some common purpose, which my programmer, a
>DIY K122, also from Atmel doesnt like it.  Does anyone here know a
>setting in the new studio I need to set?  I have looked at everything
>I can find.  This is the freeware version, and is not supported by
>Atmel.  TIA

You can ask the programmers of AVR Studio in one of the forums
at the Avrfreaks website, and they do support Studio.  Are you
aware that Studio4 uses Jtag to download the file to the devices?
You can also use PonyProg from Lancos to d/load to the chip via
the ISP, which works well.

www.avrfreaks.net
www.lancos.com

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: AVRStudio4 - 2004-08-02 02:03:00

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:11:59 +1000, dmm
<d...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:00:05 GMT, u...@nowhere.net wrote:
>
>>I am using the AVRStudio4 to create .hex files, but I find that it is
>>inserting code before the object I am trying to create.  I used
>>AVRStudio once before, but an earlier version and had great results
>>programming with my current setup.  However, the old version that
>>worked has been lost.  When I try to export, I have to use CVAVR and
>>go into terminal mode.  The files created by the new studio fail to
>>complete a programming of a chip, and files created by the old system
>>load fine.  What I have found is that the new version inserts
>> :020000020000FC
>>at the beginning of every .hex file, and this makes my programmer
>>puke.  I presume the programmers Atmel intended to drive use this
>>initial code to set up for some common purpose, which my programmer, a
>>DIY K122, also from Atmel doesnt like it.  Does anyone here know a
>>setting in the new studio I need to set?  I have looked at everything
>>I can find.  This is the freeware version, and is not supported by
>>Atmel.  TIA
>
>You can ask the programmers of AVR Studio in one of the forums
>at the Avrfreaks website, and they do support Studio.  Are you
>aware that Studio4 uses Jtag to download the file to the devices?
>You can also use PonyProg from Lancos to d/load to the chip via
>the ISP, which works well.

Thanks, I checked out avrfreaks.  Good URL.  I already have the chip
programmer so would just as soon stick with what I have.  This is
really an inconvenience more than anything else, I use notepad to
strip it off and re save the file.  It gets the job done, but it's a
bit irritating, especialy when I forget. :)
>www.avrfreaks.net
>www.lancos.com

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: AVRStudio4 - 2004-08-02 02:06:00

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:54:49 -0500, Jack Klein <j...@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:00:05 GMT, u...@nowhere.net wrote in
>comp.arch.embedded:
>
>> I am using the AVRStudio4 to create .hex files, but I find that it is
>> inserting code before the object I am trying to create.  I used
>> AVRStudio once before, but an earlier version and had great results
>> programming with my current setup.  However, the old version that
>> worked has been lost.  When I try to export, I have to use CVAVR and
>> go into terminal mode.  The files created by the new studio fail to
>> complete a programming of a chip, and files created by the old system
>> load fine.  What I have found is that the new version inserts
>>  :020000020000FC
>> at the beginning of every .hex file, and this makes my programmer
>> puke.  I presume the programmers Atmel intended to drive use this
>> initial code to set up for some common purpose, which my programmer, a
>> DIY K122, also from Atmel doesnt like it.  Does anyone here know a
>> setting in the new studio I need to set?  I have looked at everything
>> I can find.  This is the freeware version, and is not supported by
>> Atmel.  TIA
>
>Can't you write a little command line program in (C, BASIC, Perl,
>whatever you like) that will copy a text file (that's all an Intel hex
>file really is) to a new file, verifying that the first line contains
>":020000020000FC", and leaving that line out of the copy?
>
>You could add it to your makefile and it would add a fraction of a
>second or so to your build.
>
>Sometimes the simplest solution, especially if you are a programmer,
>is to roll your own.

Too true.  I just felt their was some option I had not yet visited to
change.  Up to now, I have just used notepad to strip out the
offending line, and resaved it.  It's really just a nuisance more than
anything else.

 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.