How to Analyze a Differential Amplifier
posted by Jason Sachs

Little to no benefit from C based HLS
posted by Christopher Felton

Unit Tests for Embedded Code
posted by Stephen Friederichs

DSPRelated and EmbeddedRelated now on Facebook & I will be at EE Live!
posted by Stephane Boucher

Using a RTLSDR dongle to validate NRF905 configuration
posted by fabien le mentec

Introduction to Microcontrollers

Chapter 1: Beginnings

Chapter 2: Further Beginnings

Chapter 3: Hello World

Chapter 4: More On GPIO

Chapter 5: Interrupts

Chapter 6: More On Interrupts

Chapter 7: Timers

Chapter 8: Adding Some Real-World Hardware

Chapter 9: More Timers and Displays

Chapter 10: Buttons and Bouncing

Chapter 11: Button Matrix & Auto Repeating

Chapter 12: Driving WS2812 RGB LEDs

Find us on Facebook

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | Query on ALE pin of 8051.

So far in April, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

Query on ALE pin of 8051. - Aliasger - 2004-04-26 05:14:00

hi

i was working on a circuit based on an 8051 microcontroller. 89C52 to
be precise. till date my program wasn't executing at all. the program
counter wasn't moving ahead. i had connected the ALE pin (pin 30) to
ground and after floating it, the circuit was running fine.

ALE is a output active high pin and i wasn't aware that it shouldn't
be forcefully grounded. i'm still not sure why you shouldn't tie
output pins to vcc or ground. is there some logic behind this?

thanks

ali

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.

Re: Query on ALE pin of 8051. - Meindert Sprang - 2004-04-26 05:27:00

"Aliasger" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i was working on a circuit based on an 8051 microcontroller. 89C52 to
> be precise. till date my program wasn't executing at all. the program
> counter wasn't moving ahead. i had connected the ALE pin (pin 30) to
> ground and after floating it, the circuit was running fine.
>
> ALE is a output active high pin and i wasn't aware that it shouldn't
> be forcefully grounded. i'm still not sure why you shouldn't tie
> output pins to vcc or ground. is there some logic behind this?

Yes: if you tie an output to VCC or ground, you create a short circuit,
possibly leading to destruction the component. Only unused INPUTS should be
tied to VCC or ground.

Meindert

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: Query on ALE pin of 8051. - Andrew - 2004-04-26 07:38:00

Aliasger wrote:
> hi
>
> i was working on a circuit based on an 8051 microcontroller. 89C52 to
> be precise. till date my program wasn't executing at all. the program
> counter wasn't moving ahead. i had connected the ALE pin (pin 30) to
> ground and after floating it, the circuit was running fine.
>
> ALE is a output active high pin and i wasn't aware that it shouldn't
> be forcefully grounded. i'm still not sure why you shouldn't tie
> output pins to vcc or ground. is there some logic behind this?
>
> thanks
>
> ali
For the same reason that you wouldn't short the two pins of a battery
together.  If you short an output that is sourcing a logic 1 to ground the
transistor in the IC's output buffer is connected directly across the power
rails.  It will then, in all probability, be destroyed or at least get
dangerously hot, by the excessive current.

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Introduction to Embedded Systems.

Re: Query on ALE pin of 8051. - mco - 2004-04-26 13:23:00

ALE (Address Latch Enable) is used to de-mux the data and address lines
when accessing external memory.

Mark

Aliasger wrote:
> hi
>
> i was working on a circuit based on an 8051 microcontroller. 89C52 to
> be precise. till date my program wasn't executing at all. the program
> counter wasn't moving ahead. i had connected the ALE pin (pin 30) to
> ground and after floating it, the circuit was running fine.
>
> ALE is a output active high pin and i wasn't aware that it shouldn't
> be forcefully grounded. i'm still not sure why you shouldn't tie
> output pins to vcc or ground. is there some logic behind this?
>
> thanks
>
> ali

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Introduction to Embedded Systems.

Re: Query on ALE pin of 8051. - Steve at fivetrees - 2004-04-26 17:46:00

> ALE is a output active high pin and i wasn't aware that it shouldn't
> be forcefully grounded. i'm still not sure why you shouldn't tie
> output pins to vcc or ground. is there some logic behind this?

You have much to learn, grasshopper ;).

I suggest you get hold of a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and
Hill. It's all in there. If you only ever buy one techy book, this should be
it.

Steve
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
http://www.fivetrees.com

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: Query on ALE pin of 8051. - Aliasger - 2004-05-01 02:03:00

"Steve at fivetrees" <s...@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com> wrote in message news:<408d831f$0$95327$6...@mercury.nildram.net>...
> "Aliasger" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > ALE is a output active high pin and i wasn't aware that it shouldn't
> > be forcefully grounded. i'm still not sure why you shouldn't tie
> > output pins to vcc or ground. is there some logic behind this?
>
> You have much to learn, grasshopper ;).
>
> I suggest you get hold of a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and
> Hill. It's all in there. If you only ever buy one techy book, this should be
> it.
>
> Steve
> http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
> http://www.fivetrees.com

why thank you kind sir, i will have to get myself a copy :-)

 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.