Reverse engineering wireless wall outlets
posted by Fabien Le Mentec

Short Circuit Execution vs. Unit Testing

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

How to make a heap profiler
posted by Yossi Kreinin

Find us on Facebook

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

So far in July, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-08 01:59:00

Hi,

I am looking for
Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

I browsed web for few like LM74,LM75 etc but they do not come in DIP
package.
Moslty they are in surface mount packages.

Also I am using www.digikey.com online for shopping components.
What are the decent alternatives? I found digikey site to be good
though not having few components I was looking.

Thanks
- Surinder

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - Hans-Bernhard Broeker - 2005-08-08 09:19:00

s...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am looking for Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

Why insist on DIP?  8-pin SMDs are not really all that much harder to
use than DIPs.

If you want something clunkier, try a DS18S20 in the TO-92 housing.
That's Dallas 1-wire bus, though, instead of SPI or I2C.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (b...@physik.rwth-aachen.de)

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-08 11:10:00

Hans-Bernhard,

Thanks for information.

I have PIC16FXX  programmer board.
PIC support I2C and SPI so it is cleaner to use devices with these
interfaces without having to add interface chip separately.

I never used 1-Wire interface.
But seeing following link about PIC/1-Wire looks good to start with.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/2420

On question of why DIP? I have DIP connectors on my programmer board
and  I am relatively more comfortable soldering DIP packages when
required.

As you suggested, DS18S20 in the TO-92 looks good as the pins appears
to be long and wide to be soldered with ease and flexibility to push
them in DIP slot or solder to a small wire.

Vielen Dank Sehr!
- Surinder

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - Anton Erasmus - 2005-08-08 13:18:00

On 8 Aug 2005 08:10:05 -0700, s...@yahoo.com wrote:

[snipped]
>On question of why DIP? I have DIP connectors on my programmer board
>and  I am relatively more comfortable soldering DIP packages when
>required.

[snipped]

It is quite easy to solder an 8 pin SOIC device to an 8-pin DIP
header, whcih can then be used as a if it was a DIP8 package.
You can also buy or make small PCBs that adapts SMT packages to
DIP packages. This increases your options dramatically without having
to abandon the advantages of using DIP packages.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-08 19:15:00

> Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

If this is a one-off I can give you about 10 DS1620 (DIP-8) left over
as samples from an old project. The part is obsolete but works well.

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-09 08:05:00

Larwe,

I need it just for experimental purpose to get comfortable with
differerent kinds of sensors/interfaces. 2-3 pieces are more than
enough.
Thanks for the offer.

Thanks
- Surinder