April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Little to no benefit from C based HLS
posted by Christopher Felton

Unit Tests for Embedded Code
posted by Stephen Friederichs

DSPRelated and EmbeddedRelated now on Facebook & I will be at EE Live!
posted by Stephane Boucher

Using a RTLSDR dongle to validate NRF905 configuration
posted by fabien le mentec

Introduction to Microcontrollers

Chapter 1: Beginnings

Chapter 2: Further Beginnings

Chapter 3: Hello World

Chapter 4: More On GPIO

Chapter 5: Interrupts

Chapter 6: More On Interrupts

Chapter 7: Timers

Chapter 8: Adding Some Real-World Hardware

Chapter 9: More Timers and Displays

Chapter 10: Buttons and Bouncing

Chapter 11: Button Matrix & Auto Repeating

Chapter 12: Driving WS2812 RGB LEDs

Find us on Facebook

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

So far in April, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-08 01:59:00

Hi,

I am looking for
Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

I browsed web for few like LM74,LM75 etc but they do not come in DIP
package.
Moslty they are in surface mount packages.

Also I am using www.digikey.com online for shopping components.
What are the decent alternatives? I found digikey site to be good
though not having few components I was looking.

Thanks
- Surinder

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - Hans-Bernhard Broeker - 2005-08-08 09:19:00

s...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am looking for Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

Why insist on DIP?  8-pin SMDs are not really all that much harder to
use than DIPs.

If you want something clunkier, try a DS18S20 in the TO-92 housing.
That's Dallas 1-wire bus, though, instead of SPI or I2C.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (b...@physik.rwth-aachen.de)

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-08 11:10:00

Hans-Bernhard,

Thanks for information.

I have PIC16FXX  programmer board.
PIC support I2C and SPI so it is cleaner to use devices with these
interfaces without having to add interface chip separately.

I never used 1-Wire interface.
But seeing following link about PIC/1-Wire looks good to start with.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/2420

On question of why DIP? I have DIP connectors on my programmer board
and  I am relatively more comfortable soldering DIP packages when
required.

As you suggested, DS18S20 in the TO-92 looks good as the pins appears
to be long and wide to be soldered with ease and flexibility to push
them in DIP slot or solder to a small wire.

Vielen Dank Sehr!
- Surinder

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - Anton Erasmus - 2005-08-08 13:18:00

On 8 Aug 2005 08:10:05 -0700, s...@yahoo.com wrote:

[snipped]
>On question of why DIP? I have DIP connectors on my programmer board
>and  I am relatively more comfortable soldering DIP packages when
>required.

[snipped]

It is quite easy to solder an 8 pin SOIC device to an 8-pin DIP
header, whcih can then be used as a if it was a DIP8 package.
You can also buy or make small PCBs that adapts SMT packages to
DIP packages. This increases your options dramatically without having
to abandon the advantages of using DIP packages.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Introduction to Embedded Systems.

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-08 19:15:00

> Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package

If this is a one-off I can give you about 10 DS1620 (DIP-8) left over
as samples from an old project. The part is obsolete but works well.

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: Temperature sensor, SPI or I2C , DIP package - 2005-08-09 08:05:00

Larwe,

I need it just for experimental purpose to get comfortable with
differerent kinds of sensors/interfaces. 2-3 pieces are more than
enough.
Thanks for the offer.

Thanks
- Surinder

 Free pdf download: Introduction to Embedded Systems.