Second-Order Systems, Part I: Boing!!
posted by Jason Sachs

Ada - 7 Segments and Catching Errors
posted by Mike Silva

Project Directory Organization
posted by Stephen Friederichs

OOKLONE: a cheap RF 433.92MHz OOK frame cloner

13 - 7-segment displays & Multiplexing

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller

So far in October, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - Ivan Nathvalski - 2005-08-29 06:11:00

Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can capture
image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - mark jb - 2005-08-29 06:32:00

> Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
> interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can
> capture image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?

you'd need a usb host on the board to interface with the micro, power to run
the cam from the board... you may be better ripping a cheap cam apart and
pulling a direct video output before the usb out (if possible)

-mark

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - Roger Hamlett - 2005-08-29 10:48:00

"Ivan Nathvalski" <i...@rotolmail.com> wrote in message
> Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
> interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can
> capture image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?
Forget it.
Better just to buy one of the cameras with a video output.
Key thing about USB, is that it is designed to make the 'slave' device
relatively easy to produce. The 'host' device, requires a _lot_ more
hardware and code. It is possible to produce a basic host, but you are
looking at perhaps 5 to 10* as much work as producing a direct video
grabber...

Best Wishes

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - Hans-Bernhard Broeker - 2005-08-29 10:58:00

In comp.arch.embedded Ivan Nathvalski <i...@rotolmail.com> wrote:
> Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
> interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can capture
> image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?

About as well as you could pull a 20-ton cargo trailer up a hill using
a bicycle.  You need a USB host for that, which needs between one and
two orders of magnitude more CPU power than what you're envisioning.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (b...@physik.rwth-aachen.de)

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - Michael J. Noone - 2005-08-29 12:28:00

Cypress makes some nice little USB host chips - I'd reccomend taking a
look at those as I doubt a 8b micro could handle the complexities of a
USB host interface. Best of luck!

-M. Noone

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - Alex Gibson - 2005-08-29 21:01:00

"Ivan Nathvalski" <i...@rotolmail.com> wrote in message
> Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
> interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can
> capture image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?

Go with an older type serial cam or  get a camucam2 or avr cam
or similar.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam/
http://www.jrobot.net/

http://home.teleport.ch/idobson/   using bascom avr
http://home.teleport.ch/idobson/projects/UDP-webcam.htm
http://home.teleport.ch/idobson/start_e.htm

Alex

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - dmm - 2005-08-30 05:01:00

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:11:02 +1000, "Ivan Nathvalski" <i...@rotolmail.com> wrote:

>Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
>interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can capture
>image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?

Not a USB solution, but John Orlando and Brent Taylor won 2nd prize
in Circuit Cellar's AVR contest last year with an ATmega8 controlled camera.
http://www.circuitcellar.com/avr2004/Second.html

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - Rudolf Ladyzhenskii - 2005-10-02 09:01:00

USB is a master-slave system. Camera is a slave, so you need a master (USB
host). Low-end micros with USB are USB slaves too.

You need a USB host. It is either built into the higher-end processors or
you need external chip. But this is only half a problem. Then you need USB
host stack, typically found in larger OS, like Linux.

Rudolf

"Ivan Nathvalski" <i...@rotolmail.com> wrote in message
> Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
> interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can
> capture image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?

Re: Reading USB camera data from a microcontroller - D. Jay Newman - 2005-10-02 15:55:00

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii wrote:
> USB is a master-slave system. Camera is a slave, so you need a master (USB
> host). Low-end micros with USB are USB slaves too.
>
> You need a USB host. It is either built into the higher-end processors or
> you need external chip. But this is only half a problem. Then you need USB
> host stack, typically found in larger OS, like Linux.

I'm solving this problem with a Linksys NSLU2 (Network storage system).
This device has one ethernet port, two USB host, and 1.5 serial ports.

You can load a version of Linux on it that will handle a webcam.

I am planning on preporoccesing the image there and then passing on
the relevent information to my main processor.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/
--
D. Jay Newman
http://enerd.ws/robots/