Optimizing Optoisolators, and Other Stories of Making Do With Less
posted by Jason Sachs

Coding - Step 0: Setting Up a Development Environment
posted by Stephen Friederichs

Ada - 7 Segments and Catching Errors
posted by Mike Silva

OOKLONE: a cheap RF 433.92MHz OOK frame cloner

13 - 7-segment displays & Multiplexing

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | Re: National Semiconductor HPC16083/HPC46003 High Performance microController Family - Info Needed

So far in December, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 5 votes by the community.

Re: National Semiconductor HPC16083/HPC46003 High Performance microController Family - Info Needed - David Brown - 2005-11-25 12:09:00

WYSIWYG wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I inherited an embedded computer using the National HPC 46003 processor. I
> am obliged to correct some programming problems in the code but I have
> little information and no tools. I have only found some high level spec
> sheets and app. notes. I'll probably need to hand assemble the changes but I
> need sufficient info to build the object code. Does anyone have the User's
> Manual, assemblers, etc for this processor that can help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

The HPC was a fine micro in its day - I believe it was one of the
fastest microcontrollers available at the time (15 years ago?).  It's a
16-bit accumulator-based CISC cpu, with a reasonable range of addressing
modes.  We used to have an emulator for it, but it's unfortunately
broken.  It was an impressive system - a main board around 50cm by 50cm,
with a "daughter" board at about 30cm by 50cm.  The assembler was, as
far as I can remember, free (or at least very low cost), while the C
compiler from National Semiconductor cost extra.  It's been about 10
years since I've written a new program on the HPC, but the last
modification I made to a HPC program was a couple of months ago.

Talk to your National Semiconductor representatives about tools and
documentation.  If they can't give you the tools, but can authorize a
free copy, then I can send you a zip of the assembler and linker (and C
compiler, if they authorize that too).  That might be easier to deal
with than the originals, which I believe came on 5 1/4" floppies.  The
documentation would be harder - I think I only have it in dead tree format.

As long as you don't have to debug anything (which you might avoid, if
you are only modifying a working system), then the HPC is fine to work
with in assembler, or even its (slightly limited and very old fashioned)
C compiler.  It's certainly much more programmer friendly than many
8-bit micros.

Good luck!

David

(If you want to contact me directly, I'm sure you can figure out my
email address.)

National Semiconductor HPC16083/HPC46003 High Performance microController Family - Info Needed - WYSIWYG - 2005-11-25 12:14:00

Hello,

I inherited an embedded computer using the National HPC 46003 processor. I
am obliged to correct some programming problems in the code but I have
little information and no tools. I have only found some high level spec
sheets and app. notes. I'll probably need to hand assemble the changes but I
need sufficient info to build the object code. Does anyone have the User's
Manual, assemblers, etc for this processor that can help?

Thanks,

Bob

Re: National Semiconductor HPC16083/HPC46003 High Performance microController Family - Info Needed - In Memory of tecNovia - 2005-12-02 13:25:00

On 25 Nov 2005 19:09:10 +0200, David Brown
<d...@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:

>WYSIWYG wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I inherited an embedded computer using the National HPC 46003 processor. I
>> am obliged to correct some programming problems in the code but I have
>> little information and no tools. I have only found some high level spec
>> sheets and app. notes. I'll probably need to hand assemble the changes but I
>> need sufficient info to build the object code. Does anyone have the User's
>> Manual, assemblers, etc for this processor that can help?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob
>>
>The HPC was a fine micro in its day - I believe it was one of the
>fastest microcontrollers available at the time (15 years ago?).  It's a
>16-bit accumulator-based CISC cpu, with a reasonable range of addressing
>modes.  We used to have an emulator for it, but it's unfortunately
>broken.  It was an impressive system - a main board around 50cm by 50cm,
>with a "daughter" board at about 30cm by 50cm.  The assembler was, as
>far as I can remember, free (or at least very low cost), while the C
>compiler from National Semiconductor cost extra.  It's been about 10
>years since I've written a new program on the HPC, but the last
>modification I made to a HPC program was a couple of months ago.
>
>Talk to your National Semiconductor representatives about tools and
>documentation.  If they can't give you the tools, but can authorize a
>free copy, then I can send you a zip of the assembler and linker (and C
>compiler, if they authorize that too).  That might be easier to deal
>with than the originals, which I believe came on 5 1/4" floppies.  The
>documentation would be harder - I think I only have it in dead tree format.
>
>As long as you don't have to debug anything (which you might avoid, if
>you are only modifying a working system), then the HPC is fine to work
>with in assembler, or even its (slightly limited and very old fashioned)
>C compiler.  It's certainly much more programmer friendly than many
>8-bit micros.
>
>Good luck!
>
>David
>
>(If you want to contact me directly, I'm sure you can figure out my
>email address.)

I agree with David, a fine micro - every micro that National does
seems to dissapear :-(
Still have the tools and documentation -  Even have some spare micros
somewhere Im sure..

Vic