Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Comp.Arch.Embedded

Search tips

Free PDF Downloads

Advanced Linux Programming

What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory

Introduction to Embedded Systems

C++ Tutorial

Embedded Systems - Theory and Design Methodology

Microcontroller Programming and Interfacing

Introduction to Microcontrollers


More Free PDF Downloads

Recent Blogs on EmbeddedRelated

Coding - Step 0: Setting Up a Development Environment
posted by Stephen Friederichs


Book Review: "Turing's Cathedral"
posted by Jason Sachs


Ada - 7 Segments and Catching Errors
posted by Mike Silva


OOKLONE: a cheap RF 433.92MHz OOK frame cloner
posted by Fabien Le Mentec


Practical protection against dust and water (i.e. IP protection)
posted by Dr Cagri Tanriover


Introduction to Microcontrollers

1 - Beginnings

2 - Further Beginnings

3 - Hello World

4 - More On GPIO

5 - Interrupts

6 - More On Interrupts

7 - Timers

8 - Adding Some Real-World Hardware

9 - More Timers and Displays

10 - Buttons and Bouncing

11 - Button Matrix & Auto Repeating

12 - Driving WS2812 RGB LEDs

13 - 7-segment displays & Multiplexing

See Also

ElectronicsDSPFPGA

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

There are 13 messages in this thread.

You are currently looking at messages 1 to 10.


So far in November, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 3 votes by the community.
Please help us clean the archives from unuseful discussion threads by using the voting system! Details here.

Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - Steven Woody - 2006-01-06 02:55:00

Hi,

we have a IAR EWB C/C++ IDE.  i want to know if the product support
command line compile a c project? and, does it support something like
compile using Makefile ?

thanks.

-
woody


Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - Richard - 2006-01-06 03:14:00

"Steven Woody" <n...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> we have a IAR EWB C/C++ IDE.  i want to know if the product support
> command line compile a c project? and, does it support something like
> compile using Makefile ?
>


Opening a command prompt, going to the IAR bin directory and typing "iccarm"
I get a whole lot of command line options.  Creating a simple C file and
typing "iccarm main.c"  I get some output - so the answer appears to be Yes.
Maybe it would have been quicker for you to try this yourself than write
your post?

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org




Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - Chuck F. - 2006-01-06 06:02:00

Steven Woody wrote:
> 
> we have a IAR EWB C/C++ IDE.  i want to know if the product
> support command line compile a c project? and, does it support
> something like compile using Makefile ?

Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a 
makefile.  If the compiler doesn't return success/failure status 
the interaction with the make program will not be good.  You need 
only read the documentation of your make program.

-- 
  Some informative links:
    news:news.announce.newusers
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html


Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - larwe - 2006-01-06 07:58:00

Chuck F.  wrote:

> Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a
> makefile.  If the compiler doesn't return success/failure status

Not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction to perform the
compile operation.


Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - Dave Hansen - 2006-01-06 10:14:00

On 6 Jan 2006 04:58:21 -0800 in comp.arch.embedded, "larwe"
<z...@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>Chuck F.  wrote:
>
>> Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a
>> makefile.  If the compiler doesn't return success/failure status
>
>Not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction to perform the
>compile operation.

I haven't seen Chuck's post on my newsreader yet, but as an example...

CodeVisionAVR, a C compiler targeting Atmel AVR microcontrollers most
emphatically does not support usage by make.  You load all your C
files into a "project" in the GUI, and hit the "build" button.  Every
C file is compiled every time.  Rather than object files, a big honkin
ASM file is generated and passed to an assembler.  The application is
"linked" at the ASM level.  

There is _no_ command line interface whatsoever.  Many users have been
begging for one for some time, but the architecture of the system
apparently makes this difficult.  Even if there was, it would probably
take the form of "build the project" rather than "compile the file."

Regards,
                                        -Úve

-- 
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - Chuck F. - 2006-01-06 11:40:00

larwe wrote:
> Chuck F.  wrote:
> 
>> Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a 
>> makefile.  If the compiler doesn't return success/failure
>> status
> 
> Not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction to
> perform the compile operation.
> 
Even there.  There is an underlying set of command line driven 
programs, including the compiler and linker.  I am thinking of 
Microsofts own stuff (Visual Studio etc.) here.  I doubt that 
anybody elses stuff is fundamentally different.

-- 
"If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
  the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article.  Click on
  "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
  "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - Chuck F. - 2006-01-06 11:43:00

Dave Hansen wrote:
> "larwe" <z...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chuck F.  wrote:
>> 
>>> Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a
>>> makefile.  If the compiler doesn't return success/failure
>> 
>> Not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction to
>> perform the compile operation.
> 
> I haven't seen Chuck's post on my newsreader yet, but as an
> example...
> 
> CodeVisionAVR, a C compiler targeting Atmel AVR microcontrollers
> most emphatically does not support usage by make.  You load all
> your C files into a "project" in the GUI, and hit the "build"
> button.  Every C file is compiled every time.  Rather than
> object files, a big honkin ASM file is generated and passed to
> an assembler.  The application is "linked" at the ASM level.
> 
> There is _no_ command line interface whatsoever.  Many users
> have been begging for one for some time, but the architecture of
> the system apparently makes this difficult.  Even if there was,
> it would probably take the form of "build the project" rather
> than "compile the file."

Hmm - ridiculous.  I guess I stand corrected.  Don't buy such silly 
systems.

-- 
"If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
  the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article.  Click on
  "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
  "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - larwe - 2006-01-06 16:25:00

Chuck F.  wrote:


> > Not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction to
> > perform the compile operation.
> >
> Even there.  There is an underlying set of command line driven
> programs, including the compiler and linker.  I am thinking of

Like I said: "not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI
interaction".

If an IDE simply calls external command-line programs, then good - but
there are unfortunately some that are totally "integrated" in the real
monolithic single-executable sense of the word.


Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - Steven Woody - 2006-01-06 22:28:00

Chuck F.  wrote:
> Steven Woody wrote:
> >
> > we have a IAR EWB C/C++ IDE.  i want to know if the product
> > support command line compile a c project? and, does it support
> > something like compile using Makefile ?
>
> Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a
> makefile.  If the compiler doesn't return success/failure status
> the interaction with the make program will not be good.  You need
> only read the documentation of your make program.
>

i believe it is right in theory.  but finding out how to properly pass
many options to compiler and linker without a simple example is very
hard as i think.  especiall, beside the object files, IAR's linker has
a command file as it's parameter, i don't know how to use or generate
it.

so i like to know, is there anyone successfully do a Makefile for a IAR
embeded project ? if so, i just want an example.  thanks.

-
woody


Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ? - larwe - 2006-01-06 22:51:00

Steven Woody wrote:

> so i like to know, is there anyone successfully do a Makefile for a IAR
> embeded project ? if so, i just want an example.  thanks.

By the way - just so you know, the answer to this is yes - we have
built MSP430 and NEC 78K0 projects with makefiles using MAKE from the
free command-line edition of Borland C++ 5.5. I can't pull the files to
tell you how it was done, but this is more to tell you that it IS
possible (note that these were old versions of IAR).

Note that we despise IAR and have successfully migrated away from them.


| 1 | |