The CRC Wild Goose Chase: PPP Does What?!?!?!
posted by Jason Sachs

Ada - 7 Segments and Catching Errors
posted by Mike Silva

Project Directory Organization
posted by Stephen Friederichs

OOKLONE: a cheap RF 433.92MHz OOK frame cloner

13 - 7-segment displays & Multiplexing

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder

So far in October, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Too_Many_Tools - 2006-01-10 20:07:00

I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder.

Does something like this exist?

Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to
record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart
recorder?

Thanks for any leads.

TMT

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Donald - 2006-01-10 20:35:00

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder.
>
> Does something like this exist?
>
> Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to
> record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart
> recorder?
>
> Thanks for any leads.
>
> TMT

Inexpensive and "strip chart recorder" are mutually exclusive.

Yes, there are lots of addons, google gets tons of hits
"http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=analog+data+recorders"

The next question is: "how much do you want to spend ?? "

Portable, USB, serial, .... lots of questions.

What are you trying to measure will determine what kind of analog data
recorder to buy.

donald

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Too_Many_Tools - 2006-01-10 20:47:00

I would agree...I am surprised that in today's world of electronics
that an inexpensive turnkey appliance is not available.

The uses for something like this is many....and I am not trying to be
specific since this will be used to measure a number of physical
parameters.

Let's say one wants a digital solution to what a old HP 680 Strip Chart
Recorder would work for...is there anything out there today that works
the same?

TMT

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Harold E. Johnson - 2006-01-10 21:02:00

>I would agree...I am surprised that in today's world of electronics
> that an inexpensive turnkey appliance is not available.
>
> The uses for something like this is many....and I am not trying to be
> specific since this will be used to measure a number of physical
> parameters.
>
> Let's say one wants a digital solution to what a old HP 680 Strip Chart
> Recorder would work for...is there anything out there today that works
> the same?
>
> TMT

Radio Shack used to sell a Metex VOM (Metex ME-11) that had a serial port
output and software that made essentially a data logger which you could then
pop into an excel or Quattro spreadsheet and massage the data anyway you
liked. I bought two of them from their on-line catalog when they were on
sale maybe 3 years ago, suspect you can still find them, maybe with an USB
port these days. I use one of mine for metering the transmitted signal from
NAA to detect SIDS. Lots more practical than my old Rustrak strip chart
recorder, I can just throw away the "uninteresting" data and not use any
paper at all. The other one is just a backup for my Fluke 77.

W4ZCB

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - John Popelish - 2006-01-10 22:06:00

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder.
>
> Does something like this exist?
>
> Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to
> record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart
> recorder?
>
> Thanks for any leads.
>
> TMT

I don't know if the software is available, separately, but for $25 you
can buy a 4 channel analog digitizer that comes with such software.
http://www.dataq.com/194.htm

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Rich Webb - 2006-01-10 22:19:00

On 10 Jan 2006 17:47:31 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
<t...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I would agree...I am surprised that in today's world of electronics
>that an inexpensive turnkey appliance is not available.
>
>The uses for something like this is many....and I am not trying to be
>specific since this will be used to measure a number of physical
>parameters.
>
>Let's say one wants a digital solution to what a old HP 680 Strip Chart
>Recorder would work for...is there anything out there today that works
>the same?

Something like the USB-1208LS from Measurement Computing (I'd post a
link but their referral/tag/cookie system seems to want two or three
lines for the URL) plus an old laptop PC might do the trick.

It's a relatively inexpensive USB gadget that comes with basic "strip
chart" software as a demo app. They have other, faster, and more
expensive models and more software, of course. IIRC, they still include
their Universal Library w/ the device, so you can write your own apps
with your own look & feel.

Higher end stuff is available from places like http://www.astro-med.com/
... and priced accordingly. Good gear, though.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Donald - 2006-01-10 22:21:00

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> I would agree...I am surprised that in today's world of electronics
> that an inexpensive turnkey appliance is not available.
>
> The uses for something like this is many....and I am not trying to be
> specific since this will be used to measure a number of physical
> parameters.
>
> Let's say one wants a digital solution to what a old HP 680 Strip Chart
> Recorder would work for...is there anything out there today that works
> the same?
>
> TMT

OK,

So the spec's are: not battery operated and must weight in at about 15
pounds.  ;-)

I have used some of the smaller devices at :
http://www.dataq.com/c_cr/index.htm

There will be trade offs on "chart speed" = sample rate and resolution
(step size) and max input voltage.

good luck

donald

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Neil Kurzman - 2006-01-11 00:46:00

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

> I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder.
>
> Does something like this exist?
>
> Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to
> record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart
> recorder?
>
> Thanks for any leads.
>
> TMT

Sure

Look For Data loggers.

DataQ makes some cheap ones www.DataQ.com

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Frithiof Andreas Jensen - 2006-01-11 03:33:00

"Too_Many_Tools" <t...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder.
>
> Does something like this exist?
>
> Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to
> record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart
> recorder?

"Round Robin Database Tool" - RRDTool - can possibly be hacked into
submission:  http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

Re: Inexpensive Digital Strip Chart Recorder - Mike Harrison - 2006-01-11 05:00:00

On 10 Jan 2006 17:07:07 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools" <t...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am looking for an inexpensive digital strip chart recorder.
>
>Does something like this exist?
>
>Are there addons for a laptop, pda or pocket pc that allows one to
>record, store and display analog data similar to the good old chart
>recorder?
>
>Thanks for any leads.
>
>TMT

http://www.picotech.com/ do a number of devices that may be suitable.