April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Little to no benefit from C based HLS
posted by Christopher Felton

Unit Tests for Embedded Code
posted by Stephen Friederichs

DSPRelated and EmbeddedRelated now on Facebook & I will be at EE Live!
posted by Stephane Boucher

Using a RTLSDR dongle to validate NRF905 configuration
posted by fabien le mentec

Introduction to Microcontrollers

Chapter 1: Beginnings

Chapter 2: Further Beginnings

Chapter 3: Hello World

Chapter 4: More On GPIO

Chapter 5: Interrupts

Chapter 6: More On Interrupts

Chapter 7: Timers

Chapter 8: Adding Some Real-World Hardware

Chapter 9: More Timers and Displays

Chapter 10: Buttons and Bouncing

Chapter 11: Button Matrix & Auto Repeating

Chapter 12: Driving WS2812 RGB LEDs

Find us on Facebook

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | V Cut for multiple layers PCB

So far in April, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

V Cut for multiple layers PCB - kunil - 2007-03-10 21:28:00

Hi all,

I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB.

I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this
PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate
each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break
the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.

In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image
layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK
for separating multiple layers PCBs ?

Thank you for your help

Regards,
-kunil

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.

Re: V Cut for multiple layers PCB - larwe - 2007-03-10 21:33:00

On Mar 10, 9:28 pm, "kunil" <kunilk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break
> the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.

It's not wise at all to try and just break a scored PCB (for the
reasons you otulined, plus stress around vias close to the flex line).
However you can use a knife or saw to do it by hand, without much
risk.

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: V Cut for multiple layers PCB - CBFalconer - 2007-03-10 23:52:00

larwe wrote:
> On Mar 10, 9:28 pm, "kunil" <kunilk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break
>> the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.
>
> It's not wise at all to try and just break a scored PCB (for the
> reasons you otulined, plus stress around vias close to the flex line).
> However you can use a knife or saw to do it by hand, without much
> risk.

Pay the 2 dollars.  Epoxy boards are hell on knives, drills, saws.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.

Re: V Cut for multiple layers PCB - Spehro Pefhany - 2007-03-11 00:30:00

On 10 Mar 2007 18:28:35 -0800, the renowned "kunil"
<k...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB.
>
>I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this
>PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate
>each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break
>the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.
>
>In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image
>layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK
>for separating multiple layers PCBs ?
>
>Thank you for your help
>
>Regards,
>-kunil

I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power
planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove.

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Introduction to Embedded Systems.

Re: V Cut for multiple layers PCB - PeteS - 2007-03-11 05:29:00

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2007 18:28:35 -0800, the renowned "kunil"
> <k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB.
>>
>> I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this
>> PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate
>> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break
>> the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.
>>
>> In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image
>> layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK
>> for separating multiple layers PCBs ?
>>
>> Thank you for your help
>>
>> Regards,
>> -kunil
>
> I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power
> planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove.

I agree. Inner layers on all my boards have a greater keepout to the
edge then surface layers. My surface keepout from the edge is usually 50
mils minimum and inner layers are 75.

As to breaking them apart, it's ok if you take care. My experience is
the same; I've had no problem breaking V-score boards apart by hand.

Cheers

PeteS

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: V Cut for multiple layers PCB - Alf Katz - 2007-03-11 06:37:00

"kunil" <k...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB.

<Snip>

I've had  success in getting th PCB manufacturer to completely separate
boards by V groove.  Cheaper than routing.  Leaves a sharp corner that can
give you FG splinters, though.

Cheers,
Alf

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory.

Re: V Cut for multiple layers PCB - Spehro Pefhany - 2007-03-11 09:30:00

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:29:28 GMT, the renowned PeteS

>Spehro Pefhany wrote:
>> On 10 Mar 2007 18:28:35 -0800, the renowned "kunil"
>> <k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB.
>>>
>>> I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this
>>> PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate
>>> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break
>>> the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.
>>>
>>> In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image
>>> layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK
>>> for separating multiple layers PCBs ?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> -kunil
>>
>> I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power
>> planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove.
>>

>I agree. Inner layers on all my boards have a greater keepout to the
>edge then surface layers. My surface keepout from the edge is usually 50
>mils minimum and inner layers are 75.
>
>As to breaking them apart, it's ok if you take care. My experience is
>the same; I've had no problem breaking V-score boards apart by hand.
>
>Cheers
>
>PeteS

It can reduce handling costs if the boards are left attached through
the assembly and even the testing process.

There is some cosmetic deficiency in the edges, and they can affect
people like myself who have skin that is sensitive to the dangling
fibers, but if there are no tight mechanical requirements on the
V-groove edges, it works fine.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
s...@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

_____________________________
 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.

Re: V Cut for multiple layers PCB - larwe - 2007-03-11 09:34:00

On Mar 11, 1:39 am, Spehro Pefhany <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat>
wrote:

> I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power
> planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove.

I've had mixed results. I guess I'd break someone else's boards this
way, but not ones I'd paid for. Blades are cheap :)

 Free pdf download: Advanced Linux Programming.