Important Programming Concepts (Even on Embedded Systems) Part III: Volatility
posted by Jason Sachs

Ada - 7 Segments and Catching Errors
posted by Mike Silva

Project Directory Organization
posted by Stephen Friederichs

OOKLONE: a cheap RF 433.92MHz OOK frame cloner

13 - 7-segment displays & Multiplexing

Discussion Groups | Comp.Arch.Embedded | 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter.

So far in October, you have voted 0 times ou of a total of 0 votes by the community.

18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - Elder Costa ih8sp4m@yahoo.com - 2007-07-06 12:36:00

I need to connect a Commell LV-681 (ATI RS485M & ATI SB460 chipset,
Turion 2x based) SBC to a 24-bit LVDS panel (LG-Philips LM150X08-
TL01.) Unfortunately the LVDS output of this SBC is configured for 18-
bits panels (I wonder who manufactures them.) Does somebody know some
18 to 24 bits converter?

Elder.

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - Didi - 2007-07-06 13:54:00

On Jul 6, 7:36 pm, "Elder Costa ih8s...@yahoo.com" <ih8s...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I need to connect a Commell LV-681 (ATI RS485M & ATI SB460 chipset,
> Turion 2x based) SBC to a 24-bit LVDS panel (LG-Philips LM150X08-
> TL01.) Unfortunately the LVDS output of this SBC is configured for 18-
> bits panels (I wonder who manufactures them.) Does somebody know some
> 18 to 24 bits converter?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help.
>
> Elder.

You probably will have to convert LVDS to parallel 18 bits, then
serialize
into 24 bits LVDS again. Just insert 0-s for the lowest two bits of
each
colour.

Many panels have 18 bits - 6 bits per colour. This is still quite
an overkill for TFTs, since the contrast they have is typically around
500 and
I have not seen it above 10000 (top class TV-sets/monitors, IIRC), so
using just
16 of the 18 bits is a 6 to about 100 times overkill.
 When doing 16-bits into the 18, the typically used number is 5-6-5
for
R-G-B (again, just padd 0-s for the lowest bits you don't have).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - 2007-07-06 14:11:00

On Friday, in article
     <1...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
     i...@yahoo.com "Elder Costa i...@yahoo.com" wrote:
>I need to connect a Commell LV-681 (ATI RS485M & ATI SB460 chipset,
>Turion 2x based) SBC to a 24-bit LVDS panel (LG-Philips LM150X08-
>TL01.) Unfortunately the LVDS output of this SBC is configured for 18-
>bits panels (I wonder who manufactures them.) Does somebody know some
>18 to 24 bits converter?

Considering

a)      Most Graphics LCD panels on the market as colour displays 640x480
        and higher are normally 18bit, I would say it is a surprise to
        get a REAL 24 bit LCD panel. Many analog LCD panels claimed 24
        bit for the same glass and glass drivers.

b)      Every LCD manufacturer and nearly every panel they make often
        have completely different connectors.

c)      Consult LVDS specs for panels (www.national.com has lots of info)
        and you will see that you need an extra channel to drive 24 bit
        compared to 18 bit.

So source the right connectors and wire up the 18 bit channels, as that will
at least work with LSBs on RGB channels missing, unless you have really
GOOD display and image source 90% of people won't notice the difference.
For the majority of items displayed it will be sufficient.

--
Paul Carpenter          | p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk
<http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/>    PC Services

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - PeteS - 2007-07-06 14:30:00

Elder Costa i...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I need to connect a Commell LV-681 (ATI RS485M & ATI SB460 chipset,
> Turion 2x based) SBC to a 24-bit LVDS panel (LG-Philips LM150X08-
> TL01.) Unfortunately the LVDS output of this SBC is configured for 18-
> bits panels (I wonder who manufactures them.) Does somebody know some
> 18 to 24 bits converter?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help.
>
> Elder.

The panels are probably using FPD link. You can compare the two data
protocols by viewing the OpenLDI spec (www.national.com and search)
which is a superset of the FPD link spec.

You can use a National 24 bit channel link device if you have the data
already in it's parallel form.

Cheers

PeteS

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - Elder Costa ih8sp4m@yahoo.com - 2007-07-10 14:01:00

On Jul 6, 3:11 pm, p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk (Paul Carpenter)
wrote:
> So source the right connectors and wire up the 18 bit channels, as that will
> at least work with LSBs on RGB channels missing, unless you have really
> GOOD display and image source 90% of people won't notice the difference.
> For the majority of items displayed it will be sufficient.

You are right on the color resolution point of view but wrong on the
interface one. If you look at the data sheets you will see that the
fourth pair carries the R6/7, G6/7 and B6/7 signals. If I leave them
unconnected the contrast will be poor (assuming the panel works) as I
will be using one fourth of the panel's range. I remember having seen
a panel that migght be configured for the two formats (or so I
understood it) but not the LG-Philips model I use. That is the reason
why I am looking for the 18 to 24bit converter. So far the only
solution I have found is like Dimiter suggested: using two boards, one
18-bit to TTL and one TTL to 24-bit and route the TTL signals
appropriately.

Thank you all for your answers.

Elder.

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - 2007-07-10 16:46:00

On Tuesday, in article
     <1...@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>
     i...@yahoo.com "Elder Costa i...@yahoo.com" wrote:

>On Jul 6, 3:11 pm, p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk (Paul Carpenter)
>wrote:
>> So source the right connectors and wire up the 18 bit channels, as that will
>> at least work with LSBs on RGB channels missing, unless you have really
>> GOOD display and image source 90% of people won't notice the difference.
>> For the majority of items displayed it will be sufficient.
>
>You are right on the color resolution point of view but wrong on the
>interface one. If you look at the data sheets you will see that the
>fourth pair carries the R6/7, G6/7 and B6/7 signals.

Yes and NO, in LVDS R6/R7 map to RGB R0 and R1 respectively. The mapping
is as follows (same for each colour gun):-

        LVDS    Display or graphics source
        6       0       LSB
        7       1       LSB + 1
        0       2       LSB + 2
        1       3
        2       4
        3       5
        4       6
        5       7       MSB

It was designed this way so you COULD leave off the fourth pair for just
such circumstances.

If you don't believe see such documents as National Semiconducters
AN-1085.pdf, pay particular reference to 24 bit table 1 on page 8, and
even more so to the timing diagram on page 9.

On page 9 the fourth pair is labelled as using R6/R7 etc.. with a big
BOLD box label to the right stating "LSBs".

> If I leave them
>unconnected the contrast will be poor (assuming the panel works) as I
>will be using one fourth of the panel's range. I remember having seen
>a panel that migght be configured for the two formats (or so I
>understood it) but not the LG-Philips model I use. That is the reason
>why I am looking for the 18 to 24bit converter.

You loose nothing of the range that is viewable

> So far the only
>solution I have found is like Dimiter suggested: using two boards, one
>18-bit to TTL and one TTL to 24-bit and route the TTL signals
>appropriately.

Waste time and money if you wish.

I have spent too many years of doing LCD interface designs and video
processing before the interface.

--
Paul Carpenter          | p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk
<http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/>    PC Services

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - Elder Costa ih8sp4m@yahoo.com - 2007-07-11 17:40:00

On Jul 10, 5:46 pm, p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk (Paul Carpenter)
wrote:
<snipped>

Paul, I think I understand your point. I guess both of us are right (I
wish I was wrong.) I had a look at NS AP-1127 app note and it does
suggest one to connect the least significant RGB bits to the fourth
channel. I totally agree that in that case the fourth channel would
not be missed. It does make total sense for backwards compatibility.

Unfortunately the LG-Philips folks (and Sharp's/Samsung's for that
matter) seeminly did not think this way when they designed the panel:
the most significant bits go onto the fourth pair, not the least
significant ones. Even NS has an IC that follows this odd (IMO)
pattern: in the NS90C387 data sheet, figure 17, the bit stream is
compatible with LG-Philips panel's. I saw the same pattern in one
panel by Sharp and other by Samsung (both 24-bit.) And the bit stream
described on the AMD M690T chipset LVDS output follows the same
pattern. :(  Thus I presume this pattern has become the de facto
standard despite being odd.

FWIW there is one app note by Intel (Document Number: 315975-001) in
which they mention two different LVDS bit stream paterns, 24.0 (the
rational one) and 24.1 (the "odd" one.)

Maybe I am missing something but I simply cannot see how to connect
the LG-Philips panel directly to the SBC as is withouth loosing
contrast (BTW it is based on the aforementioned chipset but the
manufacturer did not route the fourth data pair.)

Regards.

Elder.

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - 2007-07-11 19:40:00

On Wednesday, in article
     <1...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>
     i...@yahoo.com "Elder Costa i...@yahoo.com" wrote:

>On Jul 10, 5:46 pm, p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk (Paul Carpenter)
>wrote:
><snipped>
>
>Paul, I think I understand your point. I guess both of us are right (I
>wish I was wrong.) I had a look at NS AP-1127 app note and it does
>suggest one to connect the least significant RGB bits to the fourth
>channel. I totally agree that in that case the fourth channel would
>not be missed. It does make total sense for backwards compatibility.
>
>Unfortunately the LG-Philips folks (and Sharp's/Samsung's for that
>matter) seeminly did not think this way when they designed the panel:
>the most significant bits go onto the fourth pair, not the least
>significant ones. Even NS has an IC that follows this odd (IMO)
>pattern: in the NS90C387 data sheet, figure 17, the bit stream is
>compatible with LG-Philips panel's.

Well I just downloaded to double check I had the latest version and the
mapping tables on previous pages (Tables 2 to 4) list the mapping as
e.g. LVDS Rx6/Rx7 to graphics and monitor LSBs. This appears to be for
all link types (single/dual pixel/clock).

>I saw the same pattern in one
>panel by Sharp and other by Samsung (both 24-bit.) And the bit stream
>described on the AMD M690T chipset LVDS output follows the same
>pattern. :(  Thus I presume this pattern has become the de facto
>standard despite being odd.

Yet another f*((*&^ing variation in every single model of LCD panel,
(connector make/size/pins, panel shape, mounting, number of lamp connectors,
connectors positions....) even from same manufacturer.

>FWIW there is one app note by Intel (Document Number: 315975-001) in
>which they mention two different LVDS bit stream paterns, 24.0 (the
>rational one) and 24.1 (the "odd" one.)

Got that and the first time I have seen someone show that as an alternative.

>Maybe I am missing something but I simply cannot see how to connect
>the LG-Philips panel directly to the SBC as is withouth loosing
>contrast (BTW it is based on the aforementioned chipset but the
>manufacturer did not route the fourth data pair.)

If it is based on DS90C387, it would suggest they dropped the fourth pair
either because it is set for LSBs on fourth pair, someone cocked up or they
expect the panels to twiddle the bits.

Using the Intel parlance the mapping tables of DS90C387 are for 24.0 .

Without knowing the LG-Philips LM150X08-TL01 spec I cannot comment on
what the panel is expecting.

--
Paul Carpenter          | p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk
<http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/>    PC Services

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - Elder Costa ih8sp4m@yahoo.com - 2007-07-12 06:49:00

On Jul 11, 8:40 pm, p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk (Paul Carpenter)
wrote:
<snipped>
> >Maybe I am missing something but I simply cannot see how to connect
> >the LG-Philips panel directly to the SBC as is withouth loosing
> >contrast (BTW it is based on the aforementioned chipset but the
> >manufacturer did not route the fourth data pair.)
>
> If it is based on DS90C387, it would suggest they dropped the fourth pair
> either because it is set for LSBs on fourth pair, someone cocked up or they
> expect the panels to twiddle the bits.

I mean the SBC is based on that AMD/ATI chipset which uses the 24.1
pattern. The SBC manufacturer did not route the fourth pair (for both
channels) to the LVDS connector. :( I would say it is a design
mistake. :(

<snipped>

> Without knowing the LG-Philips LM150X08-TL01 spec I cannot comment on
> what the panel is expecting.

You may find an equivalent at:
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/144900/LG/LM150X08.html

The relevant pages are identical to TLO1 ones and start on page 9.

Thanks for your attention.

My best regards.

Elder.

Re: 18-bit to 24-bit LVDS converter. - 2007-07-12 14:51:00

On Thursday, in article
     <1...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
     i...@yahoo.com "Elder Costa i...@yahoo.com" wrote:

>On Jul 11, 8:40 pm, p...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk (Paul Carpenter)
>wrote:
><snipped>
>> >Maybe I am missing something but I simply cannot see how to connect
>> >the LG-Philips panel directly to the SBC as is withouth loosing
>> >contrast (BTW it is based on the aforementioned chipset but the
>> >manufacturer did not route the fourth data pair.)
>>
>> If it is based on DS90C387, it would suggest they dropped the fourth pair
>> either because it is set for LSBs on fourth pair, someone cocked up or they
>> expect the panels to twiddle the bits.
>
>I mean the SBC is based on that AMD/ATI chipset which uses the 24.1
>pattern. The SBC manufacturer did not route the fourth pair (for both
>channels) to the LVDS connector. :( I would say it is a design
>mistake. :(

Or someone laid it out thinking they were using DVI-D i.e. TMDS signalling
of 3 channels of 10 bits[1] serialised and clock. Just a thought with these
multifunction board layouts and chipsets, not actually expecting someone to
actually use the output.

If they have LVDS or TMDS usage, you might be in a worse situation of TMDS
to LVDS conversion.

><snipped>
>
>> Without knowing the LG-Philips LM150X08-TL01 spec I cannot comment on
>> what the panel is expecting.
>
>You may find an equivalent at:
>http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/144900/LG/LM150X08.html
>
>The relevant pages are identical to TLO1 ones and start on page 9.

I note they state the DS90C385, which is the 24.1 format compared to
DS90C387 which is 24.0, however the same could be achieved in layout
changes of shuffling the lines.

Yes it is the weird format and I am trying to see what they are gaining
by using it. Unless they have to have all bit positions actually driven.

>Thanks for your attention.
>
>My best regards.
>
>Elder.

[1] TMDS uses 3 channels of 8bit data and 2 control signals on each data
    pair, and a seperate clock pair.