Ancient Yocto enforced by board manufacturer - "repo init" doesn't work

Started by Wojciech Zabolotny in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 2 replies

Hi, I need to build Linux for Congatec QMX8 SMARC SBC. The procedure is described...

Hi, I need to build Linux for Congatec QMX8 SMARC SBC. The procedure is described here: https://wiki.congatec.com/display/IMX8DOC/conga-QMX8+Yocto+2.5 It requires Ubuntu 2016.04, so I have created a virtual machine for it. Unfortunately, the "repo init" doesn't work. I get the following error: gpg: keyring `/home/dev/.repoconfig/gnupg/secring.gpg' created gpg: keyring `/home/dev/.repoc...

Good Hardware Tools

Started by Rick C in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 80 replies

I will be working from home to help an open ventilator project and want to acquire some tools. I've needed a new scope for some time, but want an...

I will be working from home to help an open ventilator project and want to acquire some tools. I've needed a new scope for some time, but want an attached scope using the PC for a display. They are no cheaper than the full scopes and good ones may be more expensive. The only ones I've found that are decent are the Pico Technology scopes. Rather pricey. Then there are small l

TC358749 HDMI-CSI bridge supported in new kernels?

Started by Wojciech Zabolotny in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 1 reply

I have a few boards with Toshiba's TC358749 HDMI to CSI bridge. It is supported by a tc35874x.c driver, available e.g.,...

I have a few boards with Toshiba's TC358749 HDMI to CSI bridge. It is supported by a tc35874x.c driver, available e.g., here: https://github.com/54shady/qop_kernel/blob/master/drivers/media/i2c/tc35874x.c However, the new kernels have only the tc358743.c driver - https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/media/i2c/tc358743.c There is no information if it also supports the old TC3...

Alternative terms for master and slave

Started by Brad Eckert in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 35 replies

It seems the terms *master* and *slave* are being phased out of the tech lexicon with help from Google. I know this is like herding cats, but I...

It seems the terms *master* and *slave* are being phased out of the tech lexicon with help from Google. I know this is like herding cats, but I have a proposal for a terminology change. Just replace *master* and *slave* with *Alice* and *Bob* respectively. *Bob* attaches to *Alice* and then *Alice* tells *Bob* what to do, so it's easy to remember. Isn't that more fun than *master* and *slave*? ...

Codewright Failure

Started by rickman in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 26 replies

Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm...

Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm not ready to switch. Meanwhile, something happend while I was running in safe mode and now Codewright is messed up when running in standard windows mode. I can open files, but I can't select anything in them or do any edits. I can't even position...

Soldering Thermal Pads

Started by Rick C in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 9 replies

I'm helping with a board design of a few surface mount components with large thermal loads. The main problem is a part that has large pads. The...

I'm helping with a board design of a few surface mount components with large thermal loads. The main problem is a part that has large pads. The guy is laying it out ignoring the suggestions of the data sheet and simply put five 16 mil drill vias to the bottom layer with a lot of copper. That's about like connecting with five thermal breaks, 50 mil wide and 62 mil long. He

ARM GCC bug - No response?

Started by Dave Nadler in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 5 replies

Anybody ever posted bug reports on GCC as built+distributed by ARM? I posted what I thought was a decently written (and very real) bug report,...

Anybody ever posted bug reports on GCC as built+distributed by ARM? I posted what I thought was a decently written (and very real) bug report, but I have never received any response at all: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+bug/1905459 Any ideas? Thanks, Best Regards, Dave

Notification parsing times

Started by Don Y in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago

I present "notifications", from time to time (as do most apps). These may be error messages, reminders, etc. In many cases, I do NOT want the...

I present "notifications", from time to time (as do most apps). These may be error messages, reminders, etc. In many cases, I do NOT want the user to have to acknowledge the notification for it to be dismissed -- this adds another step to the UI that may not be convenient for the user. Assume device is tied to a particular user (at some point in time -- i.e., can be "customized" for thei...

Changes in Google Groups - sources posted to Usenet lost forever?

Started by Wojciech Zabołotny in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 13 replies

A few Usenet groups allowed users to post their source code as shar archive. The Google Groups website supported access to those groups, viewing...

A few Usenet groups allowed users to post their source code as shar archive. The Google Groups website supported access to those groups, viewing the message in the original (raw) format and upacking the sources. Unfortunately, last update of Google Groups has dropped a possibility to access the original of the Usenet posts. The "formatted" (in fact corrupted) version of the message does not ...

I2C Single Master: peripheral or bit banging?

Started by pozz in comp.arch.embedded3 years ago 28 replies

I hate I2C for several reasons. It's only two-wires bus, but for this reason it is insidious. I usually use hw peripherals when they are...

I hate I2C for several reasons. It's only two-wires bus, but for this reason it is insidious. I usually use hw peripherals when they are available, because it's much more efficient and smart and because it's the only possibility in many cases. Actually we have MCUs with abundant UARTs, timers and so on, so there's no real story: choose a suitable MCU and use that damn peripheral. So I...

Ask a Question to the EmbeddedRelated community

To significantly increase your chances of receiving answers, please make sure to:

  1. Use a meaningful title
  2. Express your question clearly and well
  3. Do not use this forum to promote your product, service or business
  4. Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language
  5. Do not post content that violates a copyright

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference