ARM (with jazelle) vs Intel Atom for Java apps

Started by shani in comp.arch.embedded10 years ago 5 replies

Hi We are re-designing a SBC and evaluating different processors. All application that ran on the previous system has been ported to Java...

Hi We are re-designing a SBC and evaluating different processors. All application that ran on the previous system has been ported to Java so our customer is now facing performance issues. We are considering Intel Atom, but I am still open to other options. I have read a about Jazelle in the ARM cores, but am still unable to answer the following questions: 1. Does it REALLY improve per...

Recommendation for prototype CM (BGA reflow, mainly)

Started by larwe in comp.arch.embedded14 years ago 11 replies

I am considering building a very small custom PowerPC-based (MPC8241) SBC for something. I need a recommendation for a proto house that can, at...

I am considering building a very small custom PowerPC-based (MPC8241) SBC for something. I need a recommendation for a proto house that can, at a reasonable price, reflow these BGA parts onto a PCB for me. I don't want anything else stuffed, just this one part, since I need to bring up the rest of the board piece by piece. I'd probably only want three boards made this way. I don't plan to hav...

Small Linux SBC in the $50 price range?

Started by larwe in comp.arch.embedded9 years ago

I'm in the market for a couple of small Linux SBCs big enough to run a JVM (no LCD required; this is a signal-processing application built...

I'm in the market for a couple of small Linux SBCs big enough to run a JVM (no LCD required; this is a signal-processing application built in Java). I don't care what core is on it, as long as I can get performance equivalent to about a 200MHz x86 under 5W, and at least one serial port (two serial ports, and some direct access to GPIO, would be nice) The FriendlyARM board (see below) is ab...

PowerQuicc II 8260

Started by Francesco Moscato in comp.arch.embedded13 years ago 2 replies

Sorry, Does someone know if there is a way to install a linux-based operating system on the following board? SBC PowerQuicc II 8260 Wind...

Sorry, Does someone know if there is a way to install a linux-based operating system on the following board? SBC PowerQuicc II 8260 Wind River Board (with an MPC 8260 processor) Thank you Francesco ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and...

Decoding an analog PAL video signal with an i.MX31

Started by cached byte in comp.arch.embedded12 years ago
SBC

Hi I would like to use the camera interface on my imx31 sbc to display an analog video signal on the display and store a snapshot on SD...

Hi I would like to use the camera interface on my imx31 sbc to display an analog video signal on the display and store a snapshot on SD . Storing a short video stream is also on the list... What chips do i need to glue to the imx31 ? ( ADV7180 etc ?...) to achieve this ? The board is running CE 5.0 Any hints or info welcome. Johan

Re: New Yahoo Group for Blackfin DSP/MCU

Started by Anonymous in comp.arch.embedded11 years ago 2 replies

In article , Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote: > > problems@gmail wrote: > > Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote: > > > > > I've been doing...

In article , Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote: > > problems@gmail wrote: > > Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote: > > > > > I've been doing the designs with Blackfin since 2003 and still do, > > > and I can tell you that Blackfin is same as crap as all other MCUs > > > and CPUs. > > > > > > ] Speaking of BlackFin, it was initially see

Looking for qual lan fanless x86 compliant solution

Started by Anonymous in comp.arch.embedded13 years ago 3 replies

Hi group, I'm looking for an embedded quad lan, prefereable fanless x86 compliant solution. If possible, mounted in a 1U chassis would be...

Hi group, I'm looking for an embedded quad lan, prefereable fanless x86 compliant solution. If possible, mounted in a 1U chassis would be nice. Also, I would prefer USB, VGA, COM-connectors NOT to be accessible from the outside. Basically, looking for a network appliance box. Mini-itx or any other SBC - anything goes. Any ideas and pointers are greatly appreciated. Thank you for help....

VIA EPIA series SBC - any views?

Started by ElderUberGeek in comp.arch.embedded12 years ago 5 replies
SBC

Has anyone used the EPIA series board from VIA? http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/ Specifically the EK...

Has anyone used the EPIA series board from VIA? http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/ Specifically the EK model: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=420 Thanks

inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)

Started by Gary Peek in comp.arch.embedded14 years ago 7 replies
SBC

I'm trying to locate something for a customer to connect to one of our SBC's. Why can't I find an inexpensive operator interface? You know,...

I'm trying to locate something for a customer to connect to one of our SBC's. Why can't I find an inexpensive operator interface? You know, something like a mini-terminal with RS-232. A squared away design where you can cut out a rectangiular hole and drill 4 mounting holes and put it on a panel inside a NEMA box or something. Not pretty, but inexpensive and useful. (Not some PIC proj...

cPCI SBC in 1u rack

Started by Ghazan Haider in comp.arch.embedded15 years ago 6 replies

I have access to a 6u cPCI CP2060 Ultrasparc 500MHz board with 512MB Ram on board. It also has 2 ethernet chips, USB and serial, but...

I have access to a 6u cPCI CP2060 Ultrasparc 500MHz board with 512MB Ram on board. It also has 2 ethernet chips, USB and serial, but no connectors on the front panel. The size of the board and its very low power requirements (23W max) begs the question, can it be put into a 1U chassis and how. I will need a cPCI power supply that fits in 1u. Given than, I'll need to connect a PCI scsi card...

Linux on Capio II (Geode) ?

Started by Phil in comp.arch.embedded15 years ago 5 replies

Hi all. Has anyone run Linux from the Disk-on-Chip on these little beasts? Bought 11 of them for about $2 apiece. They have 2xUSB, sound,...

Hi all. Has anyone run Linux from the Disk-on-Chip on these little beasts? Bought 11 of them for about $2 apiece. They have 2xUSB, sound, e100 ethernet, 16MB DOC, 64MB 144 pin SODIMM SDRAM. I have a Rocky 558EV SBC running SuSE 9.0 with DOC socket to transfer OS images, but even with all DOC support compiled into the SuSE 2.4.21 kernel, fdisk, dd, mkfs, etc. seem to freeze up when access...

video scaling

Started by val3 in comp.arch.embedded14 years ago 1 reply

Hi, I am working on an embedded WinCE 5.0 project at my universi=ADty. I want to play full screen VCD MPEG on 1024x768. I try to use an AMD...

Hi, I am working on an embedded WinCE 5.0 project at my universi=ADty. I want to play full screen VCD MPEG on 1024x768. I try to use an AMD G=ADEODE GX1 SBC, which is equipped with an MPEG decoder assistant and arbitra=ADry scaling unit (CS5530A). I conducted experiments with WMP: it worked fine =ADin 100% size (no resize of the video), but the fps dropped down significantly=AD when I...

Suggestions for a dual core SBC solution?

Started by Anonymous in comp.arch.embedded11 years ago 1 reply

I am looking for a dual core (Intel Core Duo ro Core 2 Duo) board, fanless and an RTOS which supports that board. I need at least one ethernet...

I am looking for a dual core (Intel Core Duo ro Core 2 Duo) board, fanless and an RTOS which supports that board. I need at least one ethernet port, but not much else. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanx

Compulab Transfer Problems - ENC-X270

Started by deanpask in comp.arch.embedded11 years ago

Hi all, I am new to the embedded world and have recently purchased an ENC-X270 (SBC-X270 + CM-X270). After some time I managed to get a CE...

Hi all, I am new to the embedded world and have recently purchased an ENC-X270 (SBC-X270 + CM-X270). After some time I managed to get a CE 5.0 image onto the system. My problem is I want to transfer files on the 270 from a PC. I have tried a couple of methods: 1, Via a USB drive, the issue here is only one of the two USB ports appears to work? (therefore if I input a drive I will ha...

Need DSP Board with Ethernet and Audio

Started by Okay Alex in comp.arch.embedded14 years ago 12 replies

Hello everyone, I'm looking for an SBC with on-board 100Mbps Ethernet, a stereo 16-bit, 48-kHz audio codec, and a DSP for MP3...

Hello everyone, I'm looking for an SBC with on-board 100Mbps Ethernet, a stereo 16-bit, 48-kHz audio codec, and a DSP for MP3 encoding/decoding. Available software libraries for a TCP/IP stack and MP3 codec would be a bonus. I'm currently only in the research stage, so I'm not tied to any particular processor. As far as DSP speed is concerned, I'm not quite sure. The device will nee...

Re: OT: Linked Out?

Started by krw in comp.arch.embedded10 years ago

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:07:37 -0700, Joerg wrote: > Joel Koltner wrote: > > "Joerg" wrote in message > > ...

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:07:37 -0700, Joerg wrote: > Joel Koltner wrote: > > "Joerg" wrote in message > > news:h8yCl.28550$ZP4.16348@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com... > > > That's a rather loud color scheme :-) > > > > My recollection is that Makita started all this with their kinda drab blue, > > Dewalt responded with bright

IDE interface board

Started by Alex Wisnieski in comp.arch.embedded15 years ago 15 replies

Howdy all. Just a little curious - Does anyone know of any small interface boards, that would allow a microcontroller to access an IDE...

Howdy all. Just a little curious - Does anyone know of any small interface boards, that would allow a microcontroller to access an IDE hard disk drive, or ATAPI device (cdrom drive)? Not any kind of combo-board (SBC, MP3 player capable, etc), just a single, small board that connects an ATA device to an MCU. If not...Would there be any interest in such a board? I know the applic...

bootstrap mode for Motorola Coldfire MCF5206?

Started by Herbert Wagner in comp.arch.embedded13 years ago 10 replies

Hi! Does anyone know, if the Coldfire (Manual at http://www.freescale.com/files/netcomm/doc/ref_manual/MCF5206SECUM.html) supports a bootstrap...

Hi! Does anyone know, if the Coldfire (Manual at http://www.freescale.com/files/netcomm/doc/ref_manual/MCF5206SECUM.html) supports a bootstrap mode similar to the one described in section 16 of the Dragonball manual (http://www.openhardware.net/pdf_files/MC68EZ328UM1.pdf)? If not, what is the simplest solution (from the hardware point of view) to allow the Flash RAM of an SBC to be reprogr...

Quick SBC with 16-bit AD and Ethernet ?

Started by Dave Nadler in comp.arch.embedded8 years ago 2 replies

Hi Folks - I'm looking at a quick project that needs: - 16-bit AD data acquisition, - Ethernet connectivity - modest processing requirements...

Hi Folks - I'm looking at a quick project that needs: - 16-bit AD data acquisition, - Ethernet connectivity - modest processing requirements (32-bits best) - ideally contemporary ARM supported by lots of toolchains RTOS etc. I'd love to use Actual Fusion (but only 12 bits) or Cypress PSoC (but no Ethernet). Quick look around shows lots of 12-bit solutions. Tern has high res AD but old x...

Request for help in neew development with AO, DIO, counters and real time

Started by alopez in comp.arch.embedded9 years ago 1 reply

Hello, We have a product developed on an Intel Atom SBC and a NI DAQ that provides 2 AO, 8 DIO and 2 counters, for laser control on real time....

Hello, We have a product developed on an Intel Atom SBC and a NI DAQ that provides 2 AO, 8 DIO and 2 counters, for laser control on real time. The system runs with a RTAI partched linux and Comedi drivers to achieve real time performance on microseconds period (25 usec). A compact flash stores all the software and data. We would like to migrate to a CPU + FPGA environment on the same card, f...