Reply by Mark Borgerson January 25, 20092009-01-25
In article <6u3ut3Fdhh53U1@mid.individual.net>, Faweglassenlk@falk-
willberg.de says...
> Mark Borgerson schrieb: > ... > > I've also done a bit-banged uart for debug output on an early > > small-package 8051-compatible processor. It didn't need > > a timer or interrupts. Getting input is many times more difficult > > and is much easier with timers and interrupts. > > Input can be quite simple, if you make the uC under Test a SPI-master. > Needs little code only and can handle Rx and Tx reliably. > > As "industry standard PCs" are becoming expensive arcade games with lots > of Giga-something, that can run crashbangflashIII with 500fps, but do > not have any useful interfaces any longer, any uC with SPI and UART plus > a RS232/USB converter can do this tough SPI-job for you ;-) > > > I don't know of any bit-banged USB output implementations. If > > there is one, I suspect it takes many KBytes of code and a > > very fast processor. > > 12MHz and 1400 Bytes: http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/index-de.html >
Very interesting. Although it's only a low-speed link, it could be useful as a debugging interface. Still, I'm glad my 8KB, 8MHz MSP430 system has a UART! Mark Borgerson
Reply by Falk Willberg January 25, 20092009-01-25
Mark Borgerson schrieb:
> I've also done a bit-banged uart for debug output on an early > small-package 8051-compatible processor. It didn't need > a timer or interrupts. Getting input is many times more difficult > and is much easier with timers and interrupts.
Input can be quite simple, if you make the uC under Test a SPI-master. Needs little code only and can handle Rx and Tx reliably. As "industry standard PCs" are becoming expensive arcade games with lots of Giga-something, that can run crashbangflashIII with 500fps, but do not have any useful interfaces any longer, any uC with SPI and UART plus a RS232/USB converter can do this tough SPI-job for you ;-)
> I don't know of any bit-banged USB output implementations. If > there is one, I suspect it takes many KBytes of code and a > very fast processor.
12MHz and 1400 Bytes: http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/index-de.html Falk
Reply by Mark Borgerson January 25, 20092009-01-25
In article <_b6dnS8mN5fKA-HUnZ2dnUVZ_sDinZ2d@posted.usinternet>,
grante@visi.com says...
> On 2009-01-25, Gene S Berkowitz <first.last@verizon.net> wrote: > > > The real point is, virtually any micro with a timer and an I/O port can > > at least bit-bang a PC-acceptable serial port. That isn't true of USB. > > You don't even need a timer if you're willing to put up with a > few restrictions. On some very low-spec uControllers, I've > done a "UART" output for debugging/logging purposes that relies > on nothing but repeatable instruction timings and takes no more > than a couple-dozen lines of code. (Receiving is a bit more > work, but still trivial compared to USB.) > >
I've also done a bit-banged uart for debug output on an early small-package 8051-compatible processor. It didn't need a timer or interrupts. Getting input is many times more difficult and is much easier with timers and interrupts. I don't know of any bit-banged USB output implementations. If there is one, I suspect it takes many KBytes of code and a very fast processor. Mark Borgerson
Reply by Mark Borgerson January 25, 20092009-01-25
In article <MPG.23e65d6c9f0bdb06989949@news.verizon.net>,
first.last@verizon.net says...
> In article <MPG.23e244f8c37ac8929896ac@news.motzarella.org>, > mborgerson@comcast.net says... > > In article <sg4NenAMkCeJFA4h@phaedsys.demon.co.uk>, chris@phaedsys.org > > says... > > > > Many (most?) mcu , and certainly the smaller ones don't have USB on > > > board. But the all have a serial port (or two) > > > > I hate to burst your bubble---there are whole series of MCUs with no > > hardware serial interfaces. Take a look at the Microchip PIC10 and > > PIC12 series, for example. I'm sure other processor vendors have > > low-end chips with no serial interfaces also. > > The real point is, virtually any micro with a timer and an I/O port can > at least bit-bang a PC-acceptable serial port. That isn't true of USB. >
LOL! So many of these threads would be a lot shorter if people would just state their real point properly in the first place! Mark Borgerson
Reply by Grant Edwards January 25, 20092009-01-25
On 2009-01-25, Gene S  Berkowitz <first.last@verizon.net> wrote:

> The real point is, virtually any micro with a timer and an I/O port can > at least bit-bang a PC-acceptable serial port. That isn't true of USB.
You don't even need a timer if you're willing to put up with a few restrictions. On some very low-spec uControllers, I've done a "UART" output for debugging/logging purposes that relies on nothing but repeatable instruction timings and takes no more than a couple-dozen lines of code. (Receiving is a bit more work, but still trivial compared to USB.) -- Grant
Reply by Gene S. Berkowitz January 25, 20092009-01-25
In article <MPG.23e244f8c37ac8929896ac@news.motzarella.org>,
mborgerson@comcast.net says...
> In article <sg4NenAMkCeJFA4h@phaedsys.demon.co.uk>, chris@phaedsys.org > says...
> > Many (most?) mcu , and certainly the smaller ones don't have USB on > > board. But the all have a serial port (or two) > > I hate to burst your bubble---there are whole series of MCUs with no > hardware serial interfaces. Take a look at the Microchip PIC10 and > PIC12 series, for example. I'm sure other processor vendors have > low-end chips with no serial interfaces also.
The real point is, virtually any micro with a timer and an I/O port can at least bit-bang a PC-acceptable serial port. That isn't true of USB. --Gene
bitbarf@gmail.com schrieb:
> On Jan 21, 10:34 pm, Paul Keinanen <keina...@sci.fi> wrote: >> There are expensive special USB/RS485 converters that generate the >> data direction control internally, but this is not of much use when >> controlling a radio transceiver. >> > I found a USB/RS485 converter for $49.95 at > http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=197
After looking around, I made my own USB/RS485 converter. FTDI's FT232 has a TXDEN-output. This is designed for RS485 Rx/Tx switching. Works perfectly.
> It has automatic send control, which probably means the first start > bit that comes along triggers a one-shot that turns on the driver. > > There is a Win32 call that controls RTS etc. but I don't have the name > of it handy. Have you measured the delay between issuing the call and > seeing the change in the RTS level?
I tried the RTS-line as well. The delay was changing, so I found it unusable, as the device, my application was talking to, responded within <100ms which leaded to collisions. HTH, Falk
Reply by January 24, 20092009-01-24
On Jan 21, 10:34=A0pm, Paul Keinanen <keina...@sci.fi> wrote:
> > There are expensive special USB/RS485 converters that generate the > data direction control internally, but this is not of much use when > controlling a radio transceiver. >
I found a USB/RS485 converter for $49.95 at http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=3Dproduct_info&products_id= =3D197 It has automatic send control, which probably means the first start bit that comes along triggers a one-shot that turns on the driver. There is a Win32 call that controls RTS etc. but I don't have the name of it handy. Have you measured the delay between issuing the call and seeing the change in the RTS level? -Brad
Reply by Don Seglio January 23, 20092009-01-23
On 1/23/2009 3:47 PM, Albert van der Horst wrote:
> In article<4978D795.130F9E3@yahoo.com>, > CBFalconer<cbfalconer@maineline.net> wrote: > >> Chris H wrote: >> >>> Paul Carpenter<paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> writes >>> >>>> chris@phaedsys.org says... >>>> >>>> >> ... snip ... >> >>>>> The problem is that many modern laptops don't have a serial >>>>> port. Most desktop PC's still have one AFAIK but lots of USB >>>>> so many consumer items have USB. >>>>> >>>> About 6 months ago (maybe 9) one of my custoemrs deliberately >>>> bought a HP laptop because it had a Serial port and XP. >>>> >>> I did exactly the same because I needed a serial port. >>> >> And I bought a used IBM Thinkpad T30 for the same reason. >> > > And it was one of the must-have's when I finally choose a > motherboard as a successor to the 90 Mhz Plato board. > > >> -- >> [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) >> [page]:<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> >>
Not a laptop but I just put together a PC for use in a Linux programming project using the Intel Atom Dual core 330 mother board, it has USB, 1GHz Ethernet, parallel, and a serial port, the whole PC, motherboard, small case, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, and DVD burner cost me $175. The processor is X64 compatible and has Virtual Technology support. I have Ubuntu X64 version installed and will be using IForth for the project. It's a nice little quiet machine on the cheap with old port support, sometimes that comes in handy. -- Cecil K5NWA www.k5nwa.com www.qrpradio.com < http://parts.softrockradio.org/> "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
Reply by Albert van der Horst January 23, 20092009-01-23
-- -- Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters. albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst