Reply by Rich Webb January 21, 20092009-01-21
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:29:49 -0800 (PST), larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 20, 6:10&#4294967295;pm, "Core2Duo" <Core2...@theinternet.com> wrote: > >> Is it correct that the JTAGICE mkII can be used for programming *and* >> debugging all Atmel MCUs, even the AVR32 range?. > >Not all Atmel MCUs, only all AVRs (AFAIK it will not work with Atmel's >ARM parts, for instance, nor the 8051 parts). Do you actually plan to >be one of the three people using AVR32?
And, just as a point of interest that somebody may find handy, the inexpensive little AVRISP can, however, program Atmel's AT89S-series of 8051 parts. The sense of reset changes, which one must remember if moving between the two families (not that *I've* ever forgotten, well maybe once <cough>). -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Reply by RumpelStiltSkin January 21, 20092009-01-21
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 20, 6:10 pm, "Core2Duo" <Core2...@theinternet.com> wrote:

>> Is it correct that the JTAGICE mkII can be used for programming *and* >> debugging all Atmel MCUs, even the AVR32 range?. > >Not all Atmel MCUs, only all AVRs (AFAIK it will not work with Atmel's >ARM parts, for instance, nor the 8051 parts). Do you actually plan to >be one of the three people using AVR32? > >If you don't need AVR32/DebugWire functionality, I suggest you look at >a third-party USB JTAG-ICE clone from Olimex, which is 1/6th the price >of the Atmel version and (as far as I've tested) fully compatible - it >behaves like a JTAG-ICE mk1 but has an internal USB-serial converter.
Or get the chinese knock off that is an exact duplicate of JTAGICE MKII at half the price. http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2478
Reply by larwe January 21, 20092009-01-21
On Jan 20, 6:10=A0pm, "Core2Duo" <Core2...@theinternet.com> wrote:

> Is it correct that the JTAGICE mkII can be used for programming *and* > debugging all Atmel MCUs, even the AVR32 range?.
Not all Atmel MCUs, only all AVRs (AFAIK it will not work with Atmel's ARM parts, for instance, nor the 8051 parts). Do you actually plan to be one of the three people using AVR32? If you don't need AVR32/DebugWire functionality, I suggest you look at a third-party USB JTAG-ICE clone from Olimex, which is 1/6th the price of the Atmel version and (as far as I've tested) fully compatible - it behaves like a JTAG-ICE mk1 but has an internal USB-serial converter.
Reply by PretzelX January 21, 20092009-01-21
Hi,

You're right:
* JTAGICE mkII can debug/program AVR (8bit)and AVR32
* AVRISP mkII can only program AVR (8bit)

I have used both JTAGICE mkII and AVRISP on AVR(8bit) MCUs.  However, I
haven't used JTAGICE mkII on AVR32, so I can't comment on how good or
extensive the debug support is for AVR32...

Hope this helps.

PretzelX.

>Hi, >as a newbie in this area, I am wondering if I should buy the JTAGICE mkII
or
>the AVR RISP mk II. > >Is it correct that the JTAGICE mkII can be used for programming *and* >debugging all Atmel MCUs, even the AVR32 range?. > >And, is it correct that the AVRISP MKII is used *only* for programming,
and
>it is not usable for the AVR32 microcontrollers?. > >Assuming the above ideas are correct, it appears to me that the JTAGICE
mkII
>provides more functionality and options. > >thanks > > >
Reply by Core2Duo January 20, 20092009-01-20