Reply by Byron A Jeff June 18, 20052005-06-18
In article <ptidnYLy4_rK8y3fRVn_vg@giganews.com>,
lfrey <lfrey0267@yahoo.com> wrote:

I don't have access to the original message. So I'm answering it here.

>Hi,
Hello.
> My research into my embedded webserver project is going in >circles. I need to find some way to connect the PIC to an ethernet >controller before I attempt to write a working TCP/IP stack.
Is the objecting an embedded webserver? Or to work on a TCP/IP stack? The reason I'm asking this question is that this project has already been done.
>I have a 32bit 5volt PCI ethernet card. Is it possible to connect the >PIC chip to just a few of the ethernet card's pins and get it to work?
Not PCI. There's a lot of complexity there. However you're on the right track. Simply drop down a generation in bus interface to ISA. Then you have the plan.
>1) Can it be done?
Not PCI. Not without a PCI bridge. It'll be more trouble than it's worth.
>2) What is the minimum number of pins needed to receive data from the >PCI ethernet card?
We're not talking PCI.
>3) Can anyone suggest a better way to connect to ethernet?
Yes. Use an ISA card.
>Note : I'm sticking with the PIC.
No problem. It's a PIC solution. A winning Circuit cellar embedded systems project by Ed Cheung. You can find an overview of the project here: http://www.circuitcellar.com/pic2000/ic-1st.htm BAJ
Reply by Andrew M June 15, 20052005-06-15
"lfrey" <lfrey0267@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I think that your best bet is to try using one of Digi's ConnectME modules: > http://www.digi.com/products/embeddedmodules/digiconnectme.jsp > > I have used these devices before and they work very well. The basic > premise is that the ConnectME is a serial-to-ethernet converter and micro > web server built into a device the size of an RJ-45 connector (like a > sugar cube). They also have a WiFi version where the RJ-45 connector is > replaced with an antenna. If you are already accustomed to doing serial > communication with the PIC, then this will be seamless. There are a > couple of ways to interface to the PIC via ethernet with the ConnectME: > > 1. Install Digi's virtual COM port drivers on any computer and you can > access the device as if it were a typical COM port. If you have two > devices, you can also set them up for "tunneling", where they will only > communucate with each other, as if they were using the Ethernet network as > a really long serial cable. > > 2. The ConnectME contains also a simple web server and space to store > custom web pages and Java Applets. So, knowing the IP address of the > device (which is user settable, as are many settings, from an > administrator page built into the device), you can access it with any web > browser. You could then have it serve up a page with an embedded applet > which talks to your PIC via the serial port on the ConnectME. To the end > user, it appears that you are communicating with the PIC directly through > the web browser. > > Actually, the Digi ConnectME development kit includes some sample code and > a test applet to do exactly this. My advice is, don't re-invent the wheel > and write a TCP/IP stack ... they have already done that for you! > > Hope it helps! > >>Hi, >> My research into my embedded webserver project is going in >>circles. I need to find some way to connect the PIC to an ethernet >>controller before I attempt to write a working TCP/IP stack. >> >>I have a 32bit 5volt PCI ethernet card. Is it possible to connect the >>PIC chip to just a few of the ethernet card's pins and get it to work? >> >>1) Can it be done? >> >>2) What is the minimum number of pins needed to receive data from the >>PCI ethernet card? >>
I don't want to spoil your fun writing a TCP/IP interface, however take a look at the Microchip ENC28J60 device. They have written a (free) C-source TCP/IP stack + server for PIC18, interfacing to this device. It is an SPI-controlled 10base T interface IC. For the hobbyists out there - you can get it in DIP! All you have to do is choose the correct PIC and compile the code. Works out of the box. You will need to purchase/obtain the MPLAB-C18 compiler however the demo should be fine for this purpose. -Andrew Metcalfe Future Electronics
Reply by Tauno Voipio June 15, 20052005-06-15
> >>Hi, >> My research into my embedded webserver project is going in >>circles. I need to find some way to connect the PIC to an ethernet >>controller before I attempt to write a working TCP/IP stack. >> >>I have a 32bit 5volt PCI ethernet card. Is it possible to connect the >>PIC chip to just a few of the ethernet card's pins and get it to work? >> >>1) Can it be done? >> >>2) What is the minimum number of pins needed to receive data from the >>PCI ethernet card? >> >>3) Can anyone suggest a better way to connect to ethernet? Note : I'm >>sticking with the PIC. >> >>Thanks! >>
Get Jeremy Bentham's book TCP/IP Lean. TCP/IP Lean: Web Servers for Embedded Systems (Second Edition) Jeremy Bentham CMP Books, 560 pages, book & CD-ROM ISBN 1-57820-108-X HTH -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Reply by lfrey June 15, 20052005-06-15
I think that your best bet is to try using one of Digi's ConnectME modules
 http://www.digi.com/products/embeddedmodules/digiconnectme.jsp

I have used these devices before and they work very well.  The basi
premise is that the ConnectME is a serial-to-ethernet converter and micr
web server built into a device the size of an RJ-45 connector (like
sugar cube).  They also have a WiFi version where the RJ-45 connector i
replaced with an antenna.  If you are already accustomed to doing seria
communication with the PIC, then this will be seamless.  There are
couple of ways to interface to the PIC via ethernet with the ConnectME:

1. Install Digi's virtual COM port drivers on any computer and you ca
access the device as if it were a typical COM port. If you have tw
devices, you can also set them up for "tunneling", where they will onl
communucate with each other, as if they were using the Ethernet network a
a really long serial cable.

2. The ConnectME contains also a simple web server and space to stor
custom web pages and Java Applets.   So, knowing the IP address of th
device (which is user settable, as are many settings, from a
administrator page built into the device), you can access it with any we
browser.  You could then have it serve up a page with an embedded apple
which talks to your PIC via the serial port on the ConnectME.  To the en
user, it appears that you are communicating with the PIC directly throug
the web browser.

Actually, the Digi ConnectME development kit includes some sample code an
a test applet to do exactly this.  My advice is, don't re-invent the whee
and write a TCP/IP stack ... they have already done that for you!

Hope it helps!

>Hi, > My research into my embedded webserver project is going in >circles. I need to find some way to connect the PIC to an ethernet >controller before I attempt to write a working TCP/IP stack. > >I have a 32bit 5volt PCI ethernet card. Is it possible to connect the >PIC chip to just a few of the ethernet card's pins and get it to work? > >1) Can it be done? > >2) What is the minimum number of pins needed to receive data from the >PCI ethernet card? > >3) Can anyone suggest a better way to connect to ethernet? Note : I'm >sticking with the PIC. > >Thanks! > >
This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface o www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Reply by Dave Hansen August 3, 20042004-08-03
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:54:35 GMT, Jonathan Kirwan
<jkirwan@easystreet.com> wrote:

>[attribution lost] >><snip>>>I have a 32bit 5volt PCI ethernet card. Is it possible to connect the >>>PIC chip to just a few of the ethernet card's pins and get it to work?
[...]
>It's just not in the cards.
So to speak. Perhaps it's more accurate to say "It's just not in the PIC." ;-) Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply by Alex Gibson July 29, 20042004-07-29
"dmm" <dmmilne_removethis_@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:02:24 GMT, zalzon <zalzonishappy@zalll.com> wrote: > > >Hi, > > My research into my embedded webserver project is going in > >circles. I need to find some way to connect the PIC to an ethernet > >controller before I attempt to write a working TCP/IP stack. > > > >I have a 32bit 5volt PCI ethernet card. Is it possible to connect the > >PIC chip to just a few of the ethernet card's pins and get it to work? > > > >1) Can it be done? > > > >2) What is the minimum number of pins needed to receive data from the > >PCI ethernet card? > > > >3) Can anyone suggest a better way to connect to ethernet? Note : I'm > >sticking with the PIC. > > > >Thanks! > > > > Some people made an embedded webserver with an AVR and an old > ISA based NEC2000 card they picked up for a couple of dollars in > an article in Circuit Cellar several years ago. If they could do it with > an AVR, it shouldn't be too great shakes to convert to a PIC. > I think the original circuit used an '8515 device.
Look at ethernut www.ethernut.de circuits and code for that there Alex
Reply by Stefan Hachmann July 27, 20042004-07-27
zalzon schrieb:

> My research into my embedded webserver project is going in > circles. I need to find some way to connect the PIC to an ethernet > controller before I attempt to write a working TCP/IP stack.
> 3) Can anyone suggest a better way to connect to ethernet? Note : I'm > sticking with the PIC.
Maybe this Lantronix XPort or WiPort (WLAN) devices? http://www.lantronix.com/products/eds/xport/ Stefan
Reply by dmm July 27, 20042004-07-27
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:02:24 GMT, zalzon <zalzonishappy@zalll.com> wrote:

>Hi, > My research into my embedded webserver project is going in >circles. I need to find some way to connect the PIC to an ethernet >controller before I attempt to write a working TCP/IP stack. > >I have a 32bit 5volt PCI ethernet card. Is it possible to connect the >PIC chip to just a few of the ethernet card's pins and get it to work? > >1) Can it be done? > >2) What is the minimum number of pins needed to receive data from the >PCI ethernet card? > >3) Can anyone suggest a better way to connect to ethernet? Note : I'm >sticking with the PIC. > >Thanks! >
Some people made an embedded webserver with an AVR and an old ISA based NEC2000 card they picked up for a couple of dollars in an article in Circuit Cellar several years ago. If they could do it with an AVR, it shouldn't be too great shakes to convert to a PIC. I think the original circuit used an '8515 device.
Reply by Jim Granville July 26, 20042004-07-26
zalzon wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2004 05:51:52 GMT, garykato@aol.com (Gary Kato) wrote: > > >>I'm sure there are Ethernet controllers that are meant for use with 8 or 16-bit >>CPUs. > > you're right, its undoable. there's no way 4 latches (8 bit x 4 = 32) > could bang out their data all in one instruction cycle. It would be > BANG BANG BANG BANG... instead of just one (big) BANG. basically it > would be a gang bang. > > what is needed is an 8 bit mcu with a built in ethernet controller, a > tcp/ip stack chip inside, 64kb of internal memory and selling for a > dollar a piece.
Appart from the price, you can get close with higher end 8 bit cores, like the 89C51 - see a range of TCP/IP offerings at http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=604 and also the Zilog eZ80 family http://www.zilog.com/products/family.asp?fam=226 You can, of course, connect any of these to your PIC and simply call it the interface box... -jg
Reply by zalzon July 26, 20042004-07-26