Reply by Pablo Bleyer Kocik July 10, 20042004-07-10
Jason Zheng <jzheng@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote in message news:<ccmk9i$jdg$1@nntp1.jpl.nasa.gov>...
> How does the icarus compiler compare with the commercial ones, e.g. > modelsim, ncverilog, etc.?
For the price, Icarus has far the best benefit/cost relationship you can find in the industry (that ratio actually equals \inf ;^) Seriously, it has a very complete set of features and Steve is continuously adding fixes and improvements, specially now towards 1364-2001 compatibility. It is a very good tool if you need to write Verilog simulations and testbenches. We generally use it to design and verify our models before synthesis (it is very lightweight so you can carry it around). It dumps VCD files that you can import in most simulation tools. IIRC, there are some online comparisons of its features you can find googling. Cheers. -- PabloBleyerKocik / pbleyer2004 /"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability." @embedded.cl / -- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
Reply by Stephen Williams July 9, 20042004-07-09
Pablo Bleyer Kocik wrote:
> Hello people. > > I will be maintaining recent snapshots of the Icarus Verilog compiler > for the Windows platform in easy to use installers at > http://armoid.com/icarus/. I have been doing this for more than a year > now for the people in my company so I thought, what the heck, for the > same effort I can benefit other users out there. > > If you have other free related goodies that can be posted there > --like Verilog test files, utility scripts, etc.-- please email me at > mailto:pbleyer2004N@SPAMembedded.cl [N@SPAM->@] > > Thanks for Stephen Williams for putting together such a nice Verilog > compiler for the community. > > Regards.
I should add that Pablo has been sending me copies of his installer that I keep in the "precompiled" directory where snapshots are normally found. I should have a link to his site as well, unless I forgot. I still haven't booted Windows recently enough to try his installer (lucky me!) so ride reports to comp.lang.verilog are welcome. -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."
Reply by Jason Zheng July 9, 20042004-07-09
Pablo Bleyer Kocik wrote:

> Hello people. > > I will be maintaining recent snapshots of the Icarus Verilog compiler > for the Windows platform in easy to use installers at > http://armoid.com/icarus/. I have been doing this for more than a year > now for the people in my company so I thought, what the heck, for the > same effort I can benefit other users out there. > > If you have other free related goodies that can be posted there > --like Verilog test files, utility scripts, etc.-- please email me at > mailto:pbleyer2004N@SPAMembedded.cl [N@SPAM->@] > > Thanks for Stephen Williams for putting together such a nice Verilog > compiler for the community. > > Regards. > > -- > PabloBleyerKocik /"...I didn't want to be kissing Kevin Spacey. > pbleyer2004 / Come on! Lying there naked with rose petals?" > @embedded.cl /- Kirsten Dunst on turning down American Beauty
How does the icarus compiler compare with the commercial ones, e.g. modelsim, ncverilog, etc.?
Reply by Pablo Bleyer Kocik July 9, 20042004-07-09