Reply by FreeRTOS info October 3, 20092009-10-03

"dzone007" <josephdzn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I am currently working on a embedded host for USB thumb drives using > PIC32 >>> starter kit. Unfortunately, the embedded host does not support USB > hubs. I >>> am planning to transfer files between multiple thumb drives. Can anyone >>> help me or give suggestions. >> >>Get a copy of Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" and read that. Unless >>Microchip have provided a reasonably full implementation of a USB host >>you have a fair amount of work ahead of you: USB host driver, HUB >>driver, MSC host side driver, SCSI driver, FAT/NTFS driver. A HUB >>driver need not be particularly complicated but a full USB host is quite >>a lot of work ... >> >>Are you doing this commercially, if so consider one of the embedded host >>implementations. >> >> Andrew >> >> > > Thanks for the reply. > I just got USB Complete. 1 more question. I am planning to utilize 4 usb > slots. However, PIC32 has only 1 USB slot. Can I just tap the 3 slots in > the bus? or their is better solution?
Is that not what the hub is for? -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org Designed for Microcontrollers. More than 7000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems
Reply by dzone007 October 3, 20092009-10-03
>> I am currently working on a embedded host for USB thumb drives using
PIC32
>> starter kit. Unfortunately, the embedded host does not support USB
hubs. I
>> am planning to transfer files between multiple thumb drives. Can anyone >> help me or give suggestions. > >Get a copy of Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" and read that. Unless >Microchip have provided a reasonably full implementation of a USB host >you have a fair amount of work ahead of you: USB host driver, HUB >driver, MSC host side driver, SCSI driver, FAT/NTFS driver. A HUB >driver need not be particularly complicated but a full USB host is quite >a lot of work ... > >Are you doing this commercially, if so consider one of the embedded host >implementations. > > Andrew > >
Thanks for the reply. I just got USB Complete. 1 more question. I am planning to utilize 4 usb slots. However, PIC32 has only 1 USB slot. Can I just tap the 3 slots in the bus? or their is better solution? dz --------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Reply by Andrew Jackson October 2, 20092009-10-02
> I am currently working on a embedded host for USB thumb drives using PIC32 > starter kit. Unfortunately, the embedded host does not support USB hubs. I > am planning to transfer files between multiple thumb drives. Can anyone > help me or give suggestions.
Get a copy of Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" and read that. Unless Microchip have provided a reasonably full implementation of a USB host you have a fair amount of work ahead of you: USB host driver, HUB driver, MSC host side driver, SCSI driver, FAT/NTFS driver. A HUB driver need not be particularly complicated but a full USB host is quite a lot of work ... Are you doing this commercially, if so consider one of the embedded host implementations. Andrew
Reply by Kevin P October 2, 20092009-10-02
> Hi, > I am currently working on a embedded host for USB thumb drives using PIC32 > starter kit. Unfortunately, the embedded host does not support USB hubs. > I > am planning to transfer files between multiple thumb drives. Can anyone > help me or give suggestions. > Thank you in advance. God Bless. > > dz > > --------------------------------------- > This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on > http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Hi dz, I have read about a few projects like this on some forums. The concensus I believe is that the USB Host stack that is supplied free will only communicate with a single device and that the hub class and associated complexities of multiple attached devices are not included. As far as I am aware, the only full USB Host stack for the PIC32 is from HCC-Embedded. It isn't free Hope this helps. -- Kevin Pope Nohau UK Ltd. main site: http://www.nohau.co.uk Online Store: http://shopnohau.co.uk
Reply by Boudewijn Dijkstra October 2, 20092009-10-02
Op Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:05:11 +0200 schreef dzone007 <josephdzn@yahoo.com>:
> Hi, > I am currently working on a embedded host for USB thumb drives using > PIC32 starter kit. Unfortunately, the embedded host does not support > USB hubs.
No problem, just get some software that does. Or is your USB host implemented in an FPGA?
> I am planning to transfer files between multiple thumb drives. Can anyone > help me or give suggestions.
You didn't provide much information to base useful suggestions upon.
> Thank you in advance.God Bless.
No, I will not accept blessings from any of your gods. Please have them returned to the appropriate deity. And besides, mythology is off-topic here. -- Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/ (remove the obvious prefix to reply by mail)
Reply by dzone007 October 2, 20092009-10-02