Reply by Tim Mitchell July 9, 20042004-07-09
In article <20040708140342.04915.00000927@mb-m24.aol.com>, Gary Kato
<garykato@aol.com> writes
>>I am using parallel I/O ports available in the processor. Do I need >>pullup resistors to hook SCl and SDA to processor? > >I'm not a hardware guy but it looks like you do need pullup resistors on both >lines. You might try getting a book like "Designing Embedded Hardware".
SCL and SDA lines do need pullups, stick a 4K7 up to the positive supply on each one. Even if the processor already has pullups it won't do any harm -- Tim Mitchell
Reply by Gary Kato July 8, 20042004-07-08
>I am using parallel I/O ports available in the processor. Do I need >pullup resistors to hook SCl and SDA to processor?
I'm not a hardware guy but it looks like you do need pullup resistors on both lines. You might try getting a book like "Designing Embedded Hardware".
Reply by Tauno Voipio July 8, 20042004-07-08
learner wrote:
> garykato@aol.com (Gary Kato) wrote in message news:<20040708061902.04622.00000970@mb-m10.aol.com>... > >>>Is it possible to hook pins SCL,SDA of Dallas DS1307 RTC with I/O >>>ports of Intel 386EX processor? >> >>I don't think there's any hardware reason why you couldn't do that and drive >>the I2C protocol via pure software. I assume you mean regular digital I/O pins >>and not to anything like a UART. > > > I am using parallel I/O ports available in the processor. Do I need > pullup resistors to hook SCl and SDA to processor? I am new to this > field and any help will be appreciated. > > Thanks
What might be a problem is the open-drain nature (wire-and) of the I2C bus. On many I/O ports, you'll need three-state buffers and send the data via the output enable pin to simulate an open-drain device. If the output bits are easily individually controlled as inputs or outputs, the same effect can be created using the data direction register as the outputs and pre-set the output register bits to zeroes. You have to create the bus sequences bit by bit in software. HTH Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi
Reply by learner July 8, 20042004-07-08
garykato@aol.com (Gary Kato) wrote in message news:<20040708061902.04622.00000970@mb-m10.aol.com>...
> >Is it possible to hook pins SCL,SDA of Dallas DS1307 RTC with I/O > >ports of Intel 386EX processor? > > I don't think there's any hardware reason why you couldn't do that and drive > the I2C protocol via pure software. I assume you mean regular digital I/O pins > and not to anything like a UART.
I am using parallel I/O ports available in the processor. Do I need pullup resistors to hook SCl and SDA to processor? I am new to this field and any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply by Gary Kato July 8, 20042004-07-08
>Is it possible to hook pins SCL,SDA of Dallas DS1307 RTC with I/O >ports of Intel 386EX processor?
I don't think there's any hardware reason why you couldn't do that and drive the I2C protocol via pure software. I assume you mean regular digital I/O pins and not to anything like a UART.
Reply by learner July 8, 20042004-07-08
Is it possible to hook pins SCL,SDA of Dallas DS1307 RTC with I/O
ports of Intel 386EX processor?

Thanks
learner