Reply by David Brown October 29, 20092009-10-29
Anony@Mous.com wrote:
> Mark Piffer wrote: >> Hi group, >> >> we are in the process of switching over to a Freescale MPC56xx in one >> of our products. Question is, which compiler is recommended by those >> in the know of this platform? From a preference point of view, I would >> like to get away from the Freescale Codewarrior suite, mostly because >> I didn't like it in the 16-Bit world. If it is more professional (not >> so centered on casual programmers needs) on the 32-bit line then it >> would be acceptable. Any pointers to other groups where the MPC56xx >> family is discussed? >> regards, Mark > > http://www.windriver.com/products/development_suite/wind_river_compiler/ > > Wind River Compiler, formerly known as the Diab Compiler >
Do you have any idea about the future of such compilers, now that Intel has bought Wind River? I am not trying to be paranoid or unreasonably sceptical, but it may be something to consider that good PPC tools from Wind River would directly harm their new parent company. Intel is not a company with a good reputation for competing fairly in the processor business (see the various Intel/AMD lawsuits around the world), although as far as I know their software side has an excellent reputation. I have a customer who is interested in Wind River PPC compilers, so I am genuinely interested in any opinions here.
Reply by 42Bastian Schick October 29, 20092009-10-29
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:47:04 -0700 (PDT), Mark Piffer
<mark.piffer@chello.at> wrote:

>On 28 Okt., 21:21, bastia...@yahoo.com (42Bastian Schick) wrote: >> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:17:23 -0700 (PDT), Mark Piffer >>
>I suppose with DIAB you are referring to the Wind River compiler? I
Yes, I still can't deal with the new name :-)
>remember Chris Torek as an invaluable contributor and expert over on >comp.lang.c who would always go out of his way to thoroughly explain >and support his arguments. If the compiler is of a comparable quality >like the individuals working there, then I think I will take a closer >look at it.
With C/C++ I had no problems, only some issues with the assembler. But I guess very little WRS (got it :-) have so many lines of pure assembly.
>BTW: Which type of kernel do you use, and is it somehow certified?
The company I work for:www.sciopta.com. And yes certified after IEC61508 (for ARM part 1 and 3) or very close to (PPC, parts 1,2 and 3 up to SIL3). -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !
Reply by Mark Piffer October 28, 20092009-10-28
On 28 Okt., 21:21, bastia...@yahoo.com (42Bastian Schick) wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:17:23 -0700 (PDT), Mark Piffer > > <mark.pif...@chello.at> wrote: > >we are in the process of switching over to a Freescale MPC56xx in one > >of our products. Question is, which compiler is recommended by those > >in the know of this platform? From a preference point of view, I would > >like to get away from the Freescale Codewarrior suite, mostly because > >I didn't like it in the 16-Bit world. If it is more professional (not > >so centered on casual programmers needs) on the 32-bit line then it > >would be acceptable. Any pointers to other groups where the MPC56xx > >family is discussed? > > In order to exploit the VLE you need to go (ATM of writing) for a > commercial product. > > If you need C++ as well, CodeWarrior and DIAB come to mind. If C is > enough you might have a look at Cosmic compiler. > > I work with gcc (for non-vle) and DIAB (VLE, IEC61508 kernel). Both > are from code-generation point of view IMHO identical, but DIAB has a > broader CPU support (VLE,SPE). > > CodeWarrior is easy to test, just download the special (free) edition > and start. > > -- > 42Bastian > Do not email to bastia...@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) > Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !
I suppose with DIAB you are referring to the Wind River compiler? I remember Chris Torek as an invaluable contributor and expert over on comp.lang.c who would always go out of his way to thoroughly explain and support his arguments. If the compiler is of a comparable quality like the individuals working there, then I think I will take a closer look at it. BTW: Which type of kernel do you use, and is it somehow certified? Mark
Reply by 42Bastian Schick October 28, 20092009-10-28
<mark.piffer@chello.at> wrote:

>we are in the process of switching over to a Freescale MPC56xx in one >of our products. Question is, which compiler is recommended by those >in the know of this platform? From a preference point of view, I would >like to get away from the Freescale Codewarrior suite, mostly because >I didn't like it in the 16-Bit world. If it is more professional (not >so centered on casual programmers needs) on the 32-bit line then it >would be acceptable. Any pointers to other groups where the MPC56xx >family is discussed?
In order to exploit the VLE you need to go (ATM of writing) for a commercial product. If you need C++ as well, CodeWarrior and DIAB come to mind. If C is enough you might have a look at Cosmic compiler. I work with gcc (for non-vle) and DIAB (VLE, IEC61508 kernel). Both are from code-generation point of view IMHO identical, but DIAB has a broader CPU support (VLE,SPE). CodeWarrior is easy to test, just download the special (free) edition and start. -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !
Reply by October 28, 20092009-10-28
Mark Piffer wrote:
> Hi group, > > we are in the process of switching over to a Freescale MPC56xx in one > of our products. Question is, which compiler is recommended by those > in the know of this platform? From a preference point of view, I would > like to get away from the Freescale Codewarrior suite, mostly because > I didn't like it in the 16-Bit world. If it is more professional (not > so centered on casual programmers needs) on the 32-bit line then it > would be acceptable. Any pointers to other groups where the MPC56xx > family is discussed? > regards, Mark
http://www.windriver.com/products/development_suite/wind_river_compiler/ Wind River Compiler, formerly known as the Diab Compiler
Reply by David Brown October 28, 20092009-10-28
Mark Piffer wrote:
> Hi group, > > we are in the process of switching over to a Freescale MPC56xx in one > of our products. Question is, which compiler is recommended by those > in the know of this platform? From a preference point of view, I would > like to get away from the Freescale Codewarrior suite, mostly because > I didn't like it in the 16-Bit world. If it is more professional (not > so centered on casual programmers needs) on the 32-bit line then it > would be acceptable. Any pointers to other groups where the MPC56xx > family is discussed? >
CodeWarrior is (IMHO) much better for the MPC56xx than it was for 8-bit devices. I've used it for the MPC5554, which is the same family. An alternative is CodeSourcery gcc. If you are trying gcc for these devices, it is important that it has the latest support for these devices, otherwise you won't be able to get single precision floating point using the SPE. If you are testing other compilers, make sure it generates SPE instructions for single-precision floating point. Also make sure that there are SPE-optimised libraries for any functions you might need - until the most recent version, the CodeWarrior special edition (i.e., free but size limited) libraries did not use the SPE.