Reply by Joe G (Home) February 12, 20102010-02-12
"Joe G (Home)" <joe.g@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi All, > > SPI is more simplistic in internal IC hardware design than I2c. If the > SPI data bus receive garbage (spikes or noise) you can pull the chip > select high and start clocking the data in/out again. > > SPI has > /CS chip select > Clock > Data out > Data in > > I2C has > Clock > Data > > Question > ======== > If an I2C bus receives garbage, how does one tell a I2C receiver to > "reset" and start again, as there is only a clock and data line. > > Thanks in Advance. > > Joe > >
Thanks all for your comments. Joe
Reply by Tilmann Reh February 10, 20102010-02-10
Paul Carpenter schrieb:

> [...]
I have always carefully selected only such I2C slaves that don't do clock stretching... :-) Tilmann
Reply by Joerg February 9, 20102010-02-09
Paul Carpenter wrote:
> In article <7tedm4Fam1U1@mid.individual.net>, invalid@invalid.invalid > says... >> Tilmann Reh wrote: >>> don schrieb: >>> >>>> The correct way to RESET the I2C buss, is to do a repeat-START, then a STOP. >>> Please note that you simply can't apply a (repeated) start condition >>> when a device continuously holds SDA low. In such cases, you first have >>> to provide SCL pulses until SDA gets high again, then do start-stop. >>> >> _If_ it lets go at all. I've seen cases where it didn't and a power >> cycle was required :-( > > Especially if the slave device is doing a clock stretch, holding SCL low. >
Sort of the eternal stretch :-) I like SPI a lot more although I2C does have the advantage of being able to hang it all onto the same serial bus. But that can at the same time cause hang-ups while SPI never hung on me. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.
Reply by Paul Carpenter February 9, 20102010-02-09
Especially if the slave device is doing a clock stretch, holding SCL low. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/fonts/> Timing Diagram Font <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
Tilmann Reh wrote:
> don schrieb: > >> The correct way to RESET the I2C buss, is to do a repeat-START, then a STOP. > > Please note that you simply can't apply a (repeated) start condition > when a device continuously holds SDA low. In such cases, you first have > to provide SCL pulses until SDA gets high again, then do start-stop. >
_If_ it lets go at all. I've seen cases where it didn't and a power cycle was required :-( -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.
Reply by Tilmann Reh February 9, 20102010-02-09
don schrieb:

> The correct way to RESET the I2C buss, is to do a repeat-START, then a STOP.
Please note that you simply can't apply a (repeated) start condition when a device continuously holds SDA low. In such cases, you first have to provide SCL pulses until SDA gets high again, then do start-stop. Tilmann
Reply by don February 8, 20102010-02-08
Tilmann Reh wrote:
> Meindert Sprang schrieb: > >>> If an I2C bus receives garbage, how does one tell a I2C receiver to >> "reset" >>> and start again, as there is only a clock and data line. >> By generating a premature stop condition. > > ...and if one of the devices eventually blocks the bus with SDA=low > (this can happen when a read access is aborted), apply SCL pulses until > SDA goes high. > > Tilmann
The correct way to RESET the I2C buss, is to do a repeat-START, then a STOP. Works every time. don
Reply by Tilmann Reh February 8, 20102010-02-08
Meindert Sprang schrieb:

>> If an I2C bus receives garbage, how does one tell a I2C receiver to > "reset" >> and start again, as there is only a clock and data line. > > By generating a premature stop condition.
...and if one of the devices eventually blocks the bus with SDA=low (this can happen when a read access is aborted), apply SCL pulses until SDA goes high. Tilmann
Reply by Meindert Sprang February 8, 20102010-02-08
"Joe G (Home)" <joe.g@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi All, > > SPI is more simplistic in internal IC hardware design than I2c. If the
SPI
> data bus receive garbage (spikes or noise) you can pull the chip select
high
> and start clocking the data in/out again. > > SPI has > /CS chip select > Clock > Data out > Data in > > I2C has > Clock > Data > > Question > ======== > If an I2C bus receives garbage, how does one tell a I2C receiver to
"reset"
> and start again, as there is only a clock and data line.
By generating a premature stop condition. Meindert
Reply by Joe G (Home) February 8, 20102010-02-08

========