Reply by Thomas Rudloff July 3, 20042004-07-03
David Huseby wrote:

>>Good luck. It's almost impossible to find these devices in anything >>but BGA packages, which are not very hobbyist friendly. I would start >>with PLX Tech. (www.plxtech.com). I think PLX9054 is a Motorola bus >>to PCI bridge. Even in non-bga packages they need lots of pins and you >>get pretty fine pitch QFPs that are also hard to use. >> >> > >That's what I was afraid of. I wish there were more hobby friendly parts >out there. I guess that's why so many hobby projects these days are done >with FPGA's. You can build an FPGA board and then implement the chip that >you need. I think I'll just be satisfied with an IDE interface which I can >put directly on the ColdFire bus, memory mapped. That way I could at least >run uCLinux with ext2 support and have a real file system. > > >
IDE works fine with the ColdFire. Make sure to access all locations but DataPort in PIO-0 mode. Interrupt needs pullup and be positive edge triggered. Otherwise you will get trouble with some drives. This can be combined with DMA easily. For PCI you need a "Host Bridge". This bridge is able to do IDSEL access. No peripheral bridge is able to do this. Regards Thomas
David Huseby wrote:

>>Good luck. It's almost impossible to find these devices in anything >>but BGA packages, which are not very hobbyist friendly. I would start >>with PLX Tech. (www.plxtech.com). I think PLX9054 is a Motorola bus >>to PCI bridge. Even in non-bga packages they need lots of pins and you >>get pretty fine pitch QFPs that are also hard to use. >> >> > >That's what I was afraid of. I wish there were more hobby friendly parts >out there. I guess that's why so many hobby projects these days are done >with FPGA's. You can build an FPGA board and then implement the chip that >you need. I think I'll just be satisfied with an IDE interface which I can >put directly on the ColdFire bus, memory mapped. That way I could at least >run uCLinux with ext2 support and have a real file system. > > >
IDE works fine with the ColdFire. Make sure to access all locations but DataPort in PIO-0 mode. Interrupt needs pullup and be positive edge triggered. Otherwise you will get trouble with some drives. This can be combined with DMA easily. For PCI you need a "Host Bridge". This bridge is able to do IDSEL access. No peripheral bridge is able to do this. Regards Thomas
Reply by David Huseby June 28, 20042004-06-28
> I suspect it's PCI itself that is imposing the limits to > hobbyist-friendliness here. While it may be possible to match all its > gazillions of specific requirements on a hobbyist project, it'll quite > possibly not worth the effort of trying. To put it bluntly: how were > you expecting to squeeze 100+ pins out of the footprint area of a > manually solderable part?
A nice PLCC package would do. Dave
Reply by Mark A. Odell June 28, 20042004-06-28
"Neil Bradley" <nb_no_spam@synthcom.com> wrote in

>> > Does anybody know of any good PCI bus controllers that are suitable >> > for use hobby boards. I've been thinking about designing a fully >> > fledged PC using a ColdFire chip with SDRAM, PCI, USB and IDE. >> > Getting Linux up and running shouldn't be a problem if I use common >> > USB and PCI chips. Any suggestions and sources for nice PCI bus >> > controllers? >> Why not step up just a bit to the IBM 405 series. They have built a in >> SDRAM controller, PCI bridge, external bus for connecting to simple >> devices like FLASH, SRAM, etc. all on the CPU itself. Look for a 405 >> based SBC and see what it comes with. > > Also check out the IBM 440EP - a successor to the 405, and has 2 USB > ports and dual 10/100 ethernet. We're going to be using that for our > next product @ work.
Indeed a much nicer series, the 440, but I was concerned it may be more expensive than the older 405 series. Remember, AMCC now owns the rights to the ppc4xx family. -- - Mark -> --
Reply by Hans-Bernhard Broeker June 27, 20042004-06-27
David Huseby <dave@linuxprogrammer.org> wrote:

> That's what I was afraid of. I wish there were more hobby friendly parts > out there.
I suspect it's PCI itself that is imposing the limits to hobbyist-friendliness here. While it may be possible to match all its gazillions of specific requirements on a hobbyist project, it'll quite possibly not worth the effort of trying. To put it bluntly: how were you expecting to squeeze 100+ pins out of the footprint area of a manually solderable part? -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Reply by Neil Bradley June 27, 20042004-06-27
"Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "David Huseby" <dave@linuxprogrammer.org> wrote in > news:10dohnms5uul439@corp.supernews.com: > > Does anybody know of any good PCI bus controllers that are suitable for > > use hobby boards. I've been thinking about designing a fully fledged PC > > using a ColdFire chip with SDRAM, PCI, USB and IDE. Getting Linux up > > and running shouldn't be a problem if I use common USB and PCI chips. > > Any suggestions and sources for nice PCI bus controllers? > Why not step up just a bit to the IBM 405 series. They have built a in > SDRAM controller, PCI bridge, external bus for connecting to simple > devices like FLASH, SRAM, etc. all on the CPU itself. Look for a 405 based > SBC and see what it comes with.
Also check out the IBM 440EP - a successor to the 405, and has 2 USB ports and dual 10/100 ethernet. We're going to be using that for our next product @ work. -->Neil
Reply by David Huseby June 25, 20042004-06-25
> Good luck. It's almost impossible to find these devices in anything > but BGA packages, which are not very hobbyist friendly. I would start > with PLX Tech. (www.plxtech.com). I think PLX9054 is a Motorola bus > to PCI bridge. Even in non-bga packages they need lots of pins and you > get pretty fine pitch QFPs that are also hard to use.
That's what I was afraid of. I wish there were more hobby friendly parts out there. I guess that's why so many hobby projects these days are done with FPGA's. You can build an FPGA board and then implement the chip that you need. I think I'll just be satisfied with an IDE interface which I can put directly on the ColdFire bus, memory mapped. That way I could at least run uCLinux with ext2 support and have a real file system. Dave
Reply by David Huseby June 25, 20042004-06-25
> Why not step up just a bit to the IBM 405 series. They have built a in > SDRAM controller, PCI bridge, external bus for connecting to simple > devices like FLASH, SRAM, etc. all on the CPU itself. Look for a 405 based > SBC and see what it comes with.
Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. Dave
Reply by Mark A. Odell June 25, 20042004-06-25
"David Huseby" <dave@linuxprogrammer.org> wrote in

> Does anybody know of any good PCI bus controllers that are suitable for > use hobby boards. I've been thinking about designing a fully fledged PC > using a ColdFire chip with SDRAM, PCI, USB and IDE. Getting Linux up > and running shouldn't be a problem if I use common USB and PCI chips. > Any suggestions and sources for nice PCI bus controllers?
Why not step up just a bit to the IBM 405 series. They have built a in SDRAM controller, PCI bridge, external bus for connecting to simple devices like FLASH, SRAM, etc. all on the CPU itself. Look for a 405 based SBC and see what it comes with. -- - Mark -> --
Reply by Dave Rooney June 25, 20042004-06-25

Good luck. It's almost impossible to find these devices in anything but BGA packages, which are not very hobbyist friendly. I would start with PLX Tech. (www.plxtech.com). I think PLX9054 is a Motorola bus to PCI bridge. Even in non-bga packages they need lots of pins and you get pretty fine pitch QFPs that are also hard to use. Dave Rooney