Reply by Pete Fenelon July 21, 20042004-07-21
Calvin Chan <calvin_chan@post1.com> wrote:
> > Of course, I am developing in high level C environment. >
Use the AVR then. There are good C compilers for the HC08, but some of the things you need to do to make C work on that platform aren't efficient ;) pete -- pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply by Everett M. Greene June 26, 20042004-06-26
Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> writes:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:26:34 -0400, the renowned "Avocet Systems, Inc" > >"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote > >> Calvin Chan <calvin_chan@post1.com> wrote: > >> > > >> >After a quick scan to look for a MCU for a particular task, I have two > >> >specific MCUs in mind, they are: > >> > > >> >Atmel ATMega32L and Motorola MC68HC908AP32. > >> > > >> >Between the two, is there anyone out there who has experience in > >> >those? Which one is better in terms of debugging, and development > >> >environment and support? Also, speedwise, which is more code > >> >efficient? Any compiler to recommend? > >> > > >> >Of course, I am developing in high level C environment. > > > >For the '08, Bytecraft is the only place I know of to get a C compiler. > > Also Cosmic, Metrowerks.
Also Imagecraft.
Reply by Spehro Pefhany June 25, 20042004-06-25
<david@avocetDELETETHISsystems.com> wrote:

>Anton, > >"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message >news:pn9md0pn0ngp301d0sdk54h990h9muerlh@4ax.com... >> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:35:05 +0800, Calvin Chan >> <calvin_chan@post1.com> wrote: >> >> >Hi Folk >> > >> >After a quick scan to look for a MCU for a particular task, I have two >> >specific MCUs in mind, they are: >> > >> >Atmel ATMega32L and Motorola MC68HC908AP32. >> > >> >Between the two, is there anyone out there who has experience in >> >those? Which one is better in terms of debugging, and development >> >environment and support? Also, speedwise, which is more code >> >efficient? Any compiler to recommend? >> > >> >Of course, I am developing in high level C environment. > >For the '08, Bytecraft is the only place I know of to get a C compiler.
Also Cosmic, Metrowerks. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Reply by Avocet Systems, Inc June 25, 20042004-06-25
Anton,

"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:35:05 +0800, Calvin Chan > <calvin_chan@post1.com> wrote: > > >Hi Folk > > > >After a quick scan to look for a MCU for a particular task, I have two > >specific MCUs in mind, they are: > > > >Atmel ATMega32L and Motorola MC68HC908AP32. > > > >Between the two, is there anyone out there who has experience in > >those? Which one is better in terms of debugging, and development > >environment and support? Also, speedwise, which is more code > >efficient? Any compiler to recommend? > > > >Of course, I am developing in high level C environment.
For the '08, Bytecraft is the only place I know of to get a C compiler. Dave Bardon, Avocet
> > Well for the ATMega at least gcc is available, which I have used quite > succesfully on the AVR series, including the ATMega32. There are quite > a lot of community support for the AVR using the gcc tools. > As for the 68HC908, I cannot comment as I have not used this family > before. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus > > > > >
Reply by Gary Schnabl June 24, 20042004-06-24
At no cost, you can try out the permanent Special version of Metrowerks
CodeWarrior for the entire HC(S)08 series. In addition, you can evaluate the
full version for 30 days. There are some evaluation boards available at low
cost ($50 to $300, depending upon the chip - I think).

You can either download the entire software (over 700 MB installed) or you
can request a free CD, or both. If you get the CD, also get the free CDs for
the other Motorola chip series available, since the shipping costs would be
the same if there are more than one. The URL for the HC08 is:
http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Embedded/HC08/Default.htm

CodeWarrior is fairly simple to use, especially if you follow the tutorials
or the example projects included with the installation.

Gary Schnabl

"Calvin Chan" <calvin_chan@post1.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folk > > After a quick scan to look for a MCU for a particular task, I have two > specific MCUs in mind, they are: > > Atmel ATMega32L and Motorola MC68HC908AP32. > > Between the two, is there anyone out there who has experience in > those? Which one is better in terms of debugging, and development > environment and support? Also, speedwise, which is more code > efficient? Any compiler to recommend? > > Of course, I am developing in high level C environment. > > Thanks in advance for any help. > > Calvin Chan > > calvin_chan@post1.com
Reply by Pete Fenelon June 24, 20042004-06-24
Calvin Chan <calvin_chan@post1.com> wrote:
> Hi Folk > > After a quick scan to look for a MCU for a particular task, I have two > specific MCUs in mind, they are: > > Atmel ATMega32L and Motorola MC68HC908AP32. > > Between the two, is there anyone out there who has experience in > those? Which one is better in terms of debugging, and development > environment and support? Also, speedwise, which is more code > efficient? Any compiler to recommend? > > Of course, I am developing in high level C environment. >
You *can* program the '08 in C, there are no major warts in the architecture that make it compiler *un*friendly, but the lack of general-purpose registers means that compilers tend to use pseudo-registers on the zero page and subroutines to manipulate them. Cosmic do a pretty good '08 compiler, given the core's limitations. The AVR is much more C-friendly, being essentially a "narrow" version of standard RISC processors. pete -- pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply by Anton Erasmus June 24, 20042004-06-24
<calvin_chan@post1.com> wrote:

>Hi Folk > >After a quick scan to look for a MCU for a particular task, I have two >specific MCUs in mind, they are: > >Atmel ATMega32L and Motorola MC68HC908AP32. > >Between the two, is there anyone out there who has experience in >those? Which one is better in terms of debugging, and development >environment and support? Also, speedwise, which is more code >efficient? Any compiler to recommend? > >Of course, I am developing in high level C environment.
Well for the ATMega at least gcc is available, which I have used quite succesfully on the AVR series, including the ATMega32. There are quite a lot of community support for the AVR using the gcc tools. As for the 68HC908, I cannot comment as I have not used this family before. Regards Anton Erasmus
Reply by Calvin Chan June 24, 20042004-06-24