Reply by Tauno Voipio June 18, 20102010-06-18
On 18.6.10 9:52 , Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
> > > Chris Burrows wrote: > >> "Vladimir Vassilevsky" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message >> news:RIydnVIu7fjRYYXRnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@giganews.com... >> >>> Could you advise a resource or book about ARM instruction set, low >>> level programming and examples of good practices. >>> >> >> >> The ARM System Developer's Guide: Designing and Optimising System >> Software by Andrew Sloss, Dominic Symes and Chris Wright. ISBN >> 978-1558608740 >> >> Regards, >> Chris Burrows >> CFB Software > > I got the ARM9 working. It took about a month of hard work to get the > board up from ground zero. > > Cris: > > Awesome book. Thank you for very good advice. > As usual, book arrived when almost everything was up and running :-) > > Ulf: > > Indeed, Atmel web site has good appnotes on ARM7T, and many of those > appnotes are relevant to ARM9. > > Tim: > > I haven't tried newlib. You are right that the opensource sucks. This is > especially true in the case of ARM: those ubls and uboots don't have a > clue about what they doing. > > Tauno: > > Thank you for the startup source. I found the answers for several > questions there. >
Thanks. Positive feedback keeps the response engine running ... -- -Tauno
Reply by Vladimir Vassilevsky June 18, 20102010-06-18

Chris Burrows wrote:

> "Vladimir Vassilevsky" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message > news:RIydnVIu7fjRYYXRnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@giganews.com... > >>Could you advise a resource or book about ARM instruction set, low level >>programming and examples of good practices. >> > > > The ARM System Developer's Guide: Designing and Optimising System Software > by Andrew Sloss, Dominic Symes and Chris Wright. ISBN 978-1558608740 > > Regards, > Chris Burrows > CFB Software
I got the ARM9 working. It took about a month of hard work to get the board up from ground zero. Cris: Awesome book. Thank you for very good advice. As usual, book arrived when almost everything was up and running :-) Ulf: Indeed, Atmel web site has good appnotes on ARM7T, and many of those appnotes are relevant to ARM9. Tim: I haven't tried newlib. You are right that the opensource sucks. This is especially true in the case of ARM: those ubls and uboots don't have a clue about what they doing. Tauno: Thank you for the startup source. I found the answers for several questions there. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson June 17, 20102010-06-17
Vladimir Vassilevsky skrev 2010-06-16 18:31:
> > I am faced with necessity to do low level programming on ARM9 system. > That is, set up all operating modes with associated stacks and banked > registers, interrupts, caches and MMU. > > Could you advise a resource or book about ARM instruction set, low level > programming and examples of good practices. > > Vladimir Vassilevsky > DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant > http://www.abvolt.com
I think there should be an application note on Atmels homepage on setting up the MMU. Interrupts are chip specific. -- Best Regards Ulf Samuelsson These are my own personal opinions, which may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Chris Burrows June 16, 20102010-06-16
"Vladimir Vassilevsky" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Could you advise a resource or book about ARM instruction set, low level > programming and examples of good practices. >
The ARM System Developer's Guide: Designing and Optimising System Software by Andrew Sloss, Dominic Symes and Chris Wright. ISBN 978-1558608740 Regards, Chris Burrows CFB Software Astrobe: ARM Oberon-07 Development System http://www.astrobe.com
Reply by Tim Wescott June 16, 20102010-06-16
On 06/16/2010 09:31 AM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
> > I am faced with necessity to do low level programming on ARM9 system. > That is, set up all operating modes with associated stacks and banked > registers, interrupts, caches and MMU. > > Could you advise a resource or book about ARM instruction set, low level > programming and examples of good practices.
In my spare time last month I was playing with building my own set of tools for embedded ARM development. Aside from learning that its harder than I thought, I've found that the newlib startup code is quite readable. So, if nothing else, find the lastest newlib code (if you can't find it Googling post here and I'll dig up a reference) and look at their startup assembly -- they do the whole setup ball of wax. It's not in tutorial form -- it's in the usual open-source "comments are for idiots" form -- but it's an example that works for the non-thumb ARM processors and is reputed to work for the Thumb ones, too, in its latest version (if I ever get time to try building it again!). -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com
Reply by Vladimir Vassilevsky June 16, 20102010-06-16