Reply by larwe March 24, 20112011-03-24
On Mar 23, 6:41=A0pm, rickman <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> do with it? =A0I have a FPGA programming adapter that works ok in any > USB port on my machine, but refuses to work when plugged into a hub. > I only have two hubs around and they are both min price units. =A0In > fact, I plug in the hub and it shows up in device manager as a > "generic hub". =A0If the programming adapter is then plugged into the > hub not only does the adapter not show up, the generic hub goes away > and an "unknown device" appears.
Is the hub powered externally? Bus-powered hubs can cause a lot of trouble and odd behaviors like this (they SHOULDN'T, but they DO).
Reply by Meindert Sprang March 24, 20112011-03-24
"rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If you are using a hub, does the "quality" of the hub have anything to > do with it? I have a FPGA programming adapter that works ok in any > USB port on my machine, but refuses to work when plugged into a hub.
I think so. I have no experience woth dirt-cheap $1 hubs, but I know that the I have handles for of my devices using an FT232R perfectly. Always the same com ports. I even tried connecting four devices to that hub and then connecting the hub to the PC, so the PC would see four similar new devices at once. No sweat. Could it be that modern dirt-cheap hubs don't follow the USB specs and just act as a semi-intelligent USB four-way switch? Just to cut on silicon cost? Meindert
Reply by Chris H March 24, 20112011-03-24
In message <4d8a31f3.82959187@z1.oliverbetz.de>, Oliver Betz
<OBetz@despammed.com> writes
>Chris H wrote: > >[...] > >>However new technologies are coming on stream like SWD for Cortex which >>are purpose designed debug solutions a generation on from JTAG. > >Not only "new" debug interfaces are "purpose designed", look at the >single wire "BDM" interface by Motorola. I don't remember exactly when >I started using it, but I think it was more than ten years ago (HC12, >"SDI" interface). > >>>Are In Circuit Emulators still part of an embedded developer's >>>toolkit? >> >>They should be where appropriate. >> >>>What companies manufacture them, for what processor families? >> See >>www.lauterbach.com >>www.isystem.com >>www.hitex.com >> >>There are half a dozen others at a similar level > >Like Nohau... I remember them being ardent ICE advocates.
Nohau stopped doing ICE a while ago.
>How many >_new_ ICE products did all the manufacturers bring out recently?
No Idea. Most new parts are JTAG -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Reply by rickman March 23, 20112011-03-23
On Mar 23, 4:14=A0am, "Meindert Sprang" <m...@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl>
wrote:
> "Roberto Waltman" <use...@rwaltman.com> wrote in message > > news:hohho6lo87tnskpind8f7820bg5ma7adq3@4ax.com... > > > But, for example, in a laptop with no serial ports: > > > Plug an RS-232 dongle for the first time - Becomes COM1 > > > Disconnect, connect in a separate USB port, it is still the only > > serial port in the system, but becomes COM-NOT-1 > > That only happens with dirt-cheap RS-232 dongles without serial numbers. > Windows has no way of recognising it has 'seen' this before so the COM po=
rt
> number will be tied to the USB port. As soon as you spend a little more o=
n a
> RS-232 dongle with a serial number, windows will recognise it the next ti=
me
> regardless of which USB port it is plugged into, and assign the same COM > port number again. The FTDI RS-232 converters are a good example of this. > > Meindert
If you are using a hub, does the "quality" of the hub have anything to do with it? I have a FPGA programming adapter that works ok in any USB port on my machine, but refuses to work when plugged into a hub. I only have two hubs around and they are both min price units. In fact, I plug in the hub and it shows up in device manager as a "generic hub". If the programming adapter is then plugged into the hub not only does the adapter not show up, the generic hub goes away and an "unknown device" appears. Would this be likely to work correctly if I were to get a "better" hub? FTDI doesn't make hub chips. How can I identify a high quality USB hub? Rick
Reply by Oliver Betz March 23, 20112011-03-23
Chris H wrote:

[...]

>However new technologies are coming on stream like SWD for Cortex which >are purpose designed debug solutions a generation on from JTAG.
Not only "new" debug interfaces are "purpose designed", look at the single wire "BDM" interface by Motorola. I don't remember exactly when I started using it, but I think it was more than ten years ago (HC12, "SDI" interface).
>>Are In Circuit Emulators still part of an embedded developer's >>toolkit? > >They should be where appropriate. > >>What companies manufacture them, for what processor families? > See >www.lauterbach.com >www.isystem.com >www.hitex.com > >There are half a dozen others at a similar level
Like Nohau... I remember them being ardent ICE advocates. How many _new_ ICE products did all the manufacturers bring out recently? Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Reply by Chris H March 23, 20112011-03-23
In message <gjkho69aoalcbev2120sultuke5aj9m51k@4ax.com>, Roberto Waltman
<usenet@rwaltman.com> writes
>Chris H wrote: > >[Things about ICEs ...] > >I am curious. Regardless how an ICE compares to JTAG, BDM, etc., you >seem to consider it a viable option today.
Absolutely. Not all MCU have JTAG or BDM Also not all MCU have ICE
>I have not used a "real" ICE since the 8080/Z80/6800 days. >I don't recall even seeing an ICE for at least the last twelve years >in the places I worked or visited.
Well as I know several ICE manufacturers whilst they are not selling as many due to the growth in ARM and hence JTAG there are still a lot of people using ICE where they are available. However new technologies are coming on stream like SWD for Cortex which are purpose designed debug solutions a generation on from JTAG.
>Are In Circuit Emulators still part of an embedded developer's >toolkit?
They should be where appropriate.
>What companies manufacture them, for what processor families?
See www.lauterbach.com www.isystem.com www.hitex.com There are half a dozen others at a similar level -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Reply by Meindert Sprang March 23, 20112011-03-23
"Roberto Waltman" <usenet@rwaltman.com> wrote in message
> But, for example, in a laptop with no serial ports: > > Plug an RS-232 dongle for the first time - Becomes COM1 > > Disconnect, connect in a separate USB port, it is still the only > serial port in the system, but becomes COM-NOT-1
That only happens with dirt-cheap RS-232 dongles without serial numbers. Windows has no way of recognising it has 'seen' this before so the COM port number will be tied to the USB port. As soon as you spend a little more on a RS-232 dongle with a serial number, windows will recognise it the next time regardless of which USB port it is plugged into, and assign the same COM port number again. The FTDI RS-232 converters are a good example of this. Meindert
Reply by Roberto Waltman March 22, 20112011-03-22
Hans-Bernhard Br&#4294967295;ker wrote:

>On Roberto Waltman wrote: >> Are In Circuit Emulators still part of an embedded developer's >> toolkit? > >...The whole thing is for a Fujitsu 16FX series processor. And yes, it's >worth having it in the toolkit.
Yes, of course. I didn't mean that there should not be used or that they are not useful. When any tool saves a project, it saves a project. I was asking, (using a poor choice of words, maybe,) if they are available at all for newer processors. . -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply by March 22, 20112011-03-22
On 22.03.2011 17:56, Roberto Waltman wrote:

> I have not used a "real" ICE since the 8080/Z80/6800 days.
[...]
> Are In Circuit Emulators still part of an embedded developer's > toolkit?
Well, that would tend to depend on how real an ICE has to be for you to consider it a "real" one... I'm pretty sure a pretty realistic ICE (you know, as in: somewhat clunky box with a many-a-pole flat cable coming out of it that ends in a plug that fits a socket which could otherwise hold an actual CPU) has been in use in our shop this year. At least I know who last used it. The whole thing is for a Fujitsu 16FX series processor. And yes, it's worth having it in the toolkit.
Reply by Grant Edwards March 22, 20112011-03-22
On 2011-03-22, David Brown <david.brown@removethis.hesbynett.no> wrote:
> On 22/03/11 20:49, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> Many ARM processors contain an embedded trace module. >> >> True, but none of the ones I've used did. Maybe the next one... >> >>> When Keil introduced their ULINKpro debug interface, one of the >>> features they pushed was realtime instruction tracing for Cortex-M >>> devices. >> >> That would be nice... > > It /can/ be nice, but in reality you don't often have need for tracing.
To be honest, I probably used tracing more for tracking down hardware problems (spurious interrupts, that sort of thing) than for tracking down software bugs. -- Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My life is a patio at of fun! gmail.com