Reply by Ppelectron June 8, 20042004-06-08
>I have a Microchip ICD 1 in circuit programmer/debugger that I've been using >for awhile now. My new computer only has USB ports unfortunately, and the >ICD is only serial. I bought one of those Belkin USB -> serial port >converters, but MPLAB doesn't seem to recognize the ICD. I've confirmed the >correct port and speed settings. Is there something I'm missing? Does the >USB->serial converter not handle all the handshaking lines, or ??? > >I need to get my project going, but really don't want to spend more money on >another ICD if the one I have works fine (albeit with a regular serial port >it seems) > >Thanks! > >Ron >
I think you would be better off spending money on the new ICD2 rather than on USB-serial converters. ICD1 won't work under any of the later 6.x versions of MPLAB and in my experience, many of the compilers will only run under the latest MPLABs. I was basically forced to upgrade from an ICD1 to an ICD2, which was very irritating at the time. The ICD2 is a nice bit of kit though and definitely worth the money.
Reply by Andrew June 8, 20042004-06-08
Mark A. Odell wrote:
> "Ron" <ron@noaddress.com> wrote in news:IFkxc.1041$0A.8347@localhost: > >> I have a Microchip ICD 1 in circuit programmer/debugger that I've >> been using for awhile now. My new computer only has USB ports >> unfortunately, and the ICD is only serial. I bought one of those >> Belkin USB -> serial port converters, but MPLAB doesn't seem to >> recognize the ICD. I've confirmed the correct port and speed >> settings. Is there something I'm missing? Does the USB->serial >> converter not handle all the handshaking lines, or ??? > > Those converters are "UART-like". I'm not surprised it didn't work. I > fear $99 more is in your future to purchase and ICD-2. It's not that > bad. BTW, I hope you are running Win2k or WinXP for good USB support. > > -- > - Mark ->
I have used an ICD1 (and ICD2 in serial mode) with a USB serial adaptor of anonymous origin (picked up at a computer fair) with no problems, so it can work.
Reply by Mark A. Odell June 8, 20042004-06-08
"Ron" <ron@noaddress.com> wrote in news:IFkxc.1041$0A.8347@localhost:

> I have a Microchip ICD 1 in circuit programmer/debugger that I've been > using for awhile now. My new computer only has USB ports unfortunately, > and the ICD is only serial. I bought one of those Belkin USB -> serial > port converters, but MPLAB doesn't seem to recognize the ICD. I've > confirmed the correct port and speed settings. Is there something I'm > missing? Does the USB->serial converter not handle all the handshaking > lines, or ???
Those converters are "UART-like". I'm not surprised it didn't work. I fear $99 more is in your future to purchase and ICD-2. It's not that bad. BTW, I hope you are running Win2k or WinXP for good USB support. -- - Mark -> --
Reply by Ron June 8, 20042004-06-08