Reply by Mark Borgerson August 2, 20112011-08-02
In article <vslb375dtnqkd234ncjht0e6haqnlo1q5e@4ax.com>,
usenet@rwaltman.com says...
> > nclosa wrote: > >ST-LINK/2 $25 > >http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/251168.jsp > > Thanks for that! I'm ordering one. > (I didn't notice this post till today...) > > Since this thread started I also found that Segger is offering a Jlink > "educational version" for $60. > > From their web site: > > "The offer includes free use of Flash Breakpoints. The only limitation > is that it may not be used to develop a product. > ... > It is not sold to companies. > ... > Even if you are a professional programmer you are welcome to use > J-Link edu for personal interests at home"
You can beat that price by ordering an STM32-Discovery kit for about $12.60. That kit includes an ST-Link MPU that you can disconnect from the onboard STM32 and connect to your board with 3 wires for the SWD (Serial WIre Debug) interface. There are jumpers on the Discovery board to disconnect the onboard MPU. It works. I used it for a while until I invested in a ST-Link kit. It worked fine with IAR after I set up C-Spy to use serial wire debug. I'm getting to be a fan of the STM32 series. Good hardware, good support tools, a wide range of chips and a pretty good firmware library. I've started with a lot less on other systems in the past. Mark Borgerson
Reply by Roberto Waltman July 31, 20112011-07-31
 nclosa wrote:
>ST-LINK/2 $25 >http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/251168.jsp
Thanks for that! I'm ordering one. (I didn't notice this post till today...) Since this thread started I also found that Segger is offering a Jlink "educational version" for $60. From their web site: "The offer includes free use of Flash Breakpoints. The only limitation is that it may not be used to develop a product. ... It is not sold to companies. ... Even if you are a professional programmer you are welcome to use J-Link edu for personal interests at home" -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply by nclosa July 5, 20112011-07-05
On 6 jun, 14:01, Roberto Waltman <use...@rwaltman.com> wrote:
> As subject line says - Can anybody recommend a (cheap) JTAG adapter > that works well with IAR EWARM and ST Cortex M3 chips? > Trying not to buy another Segger ... > > Thanks, > > -- > Roberto Waltman > > [ Please reply to the group. > =A0 Return address is invalid ]
ST-LINK/2 $25 http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/251168.jsp Regards, N=E9stor
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson July 4, 20112011-07-04
larwe skrev 2011-06-06 22:10:
> On Jun 6, 1:55 pm, Roberto Waltman<use...@rwaltman.com> wrote: > >>>> Trying not to buy another Segger ... >> >> Cost - Is to have something at home, to avoid carrying too many things >> from/to the office when doing some remedial work on weekends. > > I hear you on that. Mine is an old one, IAR always whines at me that I > am "missing out on advanced functionality". > > On a related note, I was very pleasantly surprised this weekend. I was > given an Atmel SAM3S-EK board, and I did not have to do any futzing > with magic macros, custom flashloaders, assorted buggering about with > linker and debugger settings, or anything of the kind - I just set the > target chip in IAR, hit download and it Just Worked. (Exactly the way > I would expect it to work for any device that has all on-chip flash, > btw). > > Anyway, something has been significantly improved here. Trying to get > IAR talking nicely to LPC2103 and Atmel SAM7 chips was an exercise in > horror - it seems like the only sane way to do it is to take someone > else's working hello world project and strip stuff out.
The SAM-ICE is a cheaper J-Link, Same H/W, Atmel locked firmware. It is blue instead of black or yellow, (I happen to have a golden one). -- Best Regards Ulf Samuelsson These are my own personal opinions, which may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by larwe June 6, 20112011-06-06
On Jun 6, 1:55=A0pm, Roberto Waltman <use...@rwaltman.com> wrote:

> >> Trying not to buy another Segger ... > > Cost - Is to have something at home, to avoid carrying too many things > from/to the office when =A0doing some remedial work on weekends.
I hear you on that. Mine is an old one, IAR always whines at me that I am "missing out on advanced functionality". On a related note, I was very pleasantly surprised this weekend. I was given an Atmel SAM3S-EK board, and I did not have to do any futzing with magic macros, custom flashloaders, assorted buggering about with linker and debugger settings, or anything of the kind - I just set the target chip in IAR, hit download and it Just Worked. (Exactly the way I would expect it to work for any device that has all on-chip flash, btw). Anyway, something has been significantly improved here. Trying to get IAR talking nicely to LPC2103 and Atmel SAM7 chips was an exercise in horror - it seems like the only sane way to do it is to take someone else's working hello world project and strip stuff out.
Reply by Roberto Waltman June 6, 20112011-06-06
"JeGy" wrote:
>> JTAG adapter >> that works well with IAR EWARM and ST Cortex M3 chips? > >try Olimex, but it it not so advanced as the Segger...
I thought they didn't have one that works straight out of the box with IAR, but didn't check for a long time. Will take a look, thanks. -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
larwe wrote:
>> As subject line says - Can anybody recommend a (cheap) JTAG adapter >> that works well with IAR EWARM and ST Cortex M3 chips? >> Trying not to buy another Segger ... > >Because of performance or because of cost? I see a couple of them on >eBay, fairly recent versions, for $48.
Cost - Is to have something at home, to avoid carrying too many things from/to the office when doing some remedial work on weekends. (And a few personal projects down the road.) Thanks for the pointer. -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
On Jun 6, 1:01=A0pm, Roberto Waltman <use...@rwaltman.com> wrote:
> As subject line says - Can anybody recommend a (cheap) JTAG adapter > that works well with IAR EWARM and ST Cortex M3 chips? > Trying not to buy another Segger ...
Because of performance or because of cost? I see a couple of them on eBay, fairly recent versions, for $48.
Reply by JeGy June 6, 20112011-06-06
"Roberto Waltman" <usenet@rwaltman.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > As subject line says - Can anybody recommend a (cheap) JTAG adapter > that works well with IAR EWARM and ST Cortex M3 chips? > Trying not to buy another Segger ... > > Thanks, > > -- > Roberto Waltman > > [ Please reply to the group. > Return address is invalid ]
Hi, try Olimex, but it it not so advanced as the Segger... Regards Jens

--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group.
  Return address is invalid ]