Reply by DM McGowan II June 9, 20042004-06-09
"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> DM McGowan II wrote: > > "CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message > > > ... snip ... > >> > >> You have a sadly warped idea of newsgroups. Everything is > >> public. Replies are not directed at anyone in particular. If you > >> want privacy, use e-mail, and you *may* attain your desire. This > >> is public partly because correcting your misapprehensions may be > >> instructive to someone misinformed by your article. > > > > This is a public forum? > > It is not a forum. It is an international newsgroup. What you > write is disseminated all over the world to various news servers, > which hold the message for some period of time and allow anyone to > read it. Some servers will apply their own rules to avoid misuse, > such as discarding messages with excessive cross-posting, > attachments, or html content. >
That was polite sarcasm gentlemen. :-)
Reply by CBFalconer June 8, 20042004-06-08
Except that those befuddled users who post using the X-No-archive header ensure that nobody can ever read their immortal words through google. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
DM McGowan II wrote:
> "CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message >
... snip ...
It is not a forum. It is an international newsgroup. What you write is disseminated all over the world to various news servers, which hold the message for some period of time and allow anyone to read it. Some servers will apply their own rules to avoid misuse, such as discarding messages with excessive cross-posting, attachments, or html content. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
Reply by Mike Turco June 8, 20042004-06-08
"DM McGowan II" '
> > This is a public forum? >
Anybody with Internet access can read this newsgroup, and a zillion others, either with a news reader or through groups.google.com.
Reply by DM McGowan II June 8, 20042004-06-08
> DM McGowan II wrote: > > "Peter Jakacki" <peterjak@tpg.com.au> wrote in message > > > ... snip ... > >> > >> General Rule:- READ data sheets, even those funny little > >> charts and tables, and figures at the end of them :) > > > > If I dealt in electronics every single day then maybe this > > wouldn't have seemed so cool. I remember coming across > > something along these lines once or twice and I liked Spehro's > > idea. If you don't like his idea then I'll thank you to reply > > to HIM, not ME. > > You have a sadly warped idea of newsgroups. Everything is > public. Replies are not directed at anyone in particular. If you > want privacy, use e-mail, and you *may* attain your desire. This > is public partly because correcting your misapprehensions may be > instructive to someone misinformed by your article. >
This is a public forum?
Reply by CBFalconer June 7, 20042004-06-07
DM McGowan II wrote:
> "Peter Jakacki" <peterjak@tpg.com.au> wrote in message >
... snip ...
You have a sadly warped idea of newsgroups. Everything is public. Replies are not directed at anyone in particular. If you want privacy, use e-mail, and you *may* attain your desire. This is public partly because correcting your misapprehensions may be instructive to someone misinformed by your article. -- A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Reply by DM McGowan II June 7, 20042004-06-07
"Peter Jakacki" <peterjak@tpg.com.au> wrote in message news:40c3e10e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Hey, don't get so uppity! It's not that I don't like it, as if that > would have anything to do with it. I was merely surprised that you > weren't aware of this fact. However, since you don't deal in electronics > every single day it is understandable. > > My apologies for offending you. >
Maybe I should only browse news after dinner. :-)
Reply by Peter Jakacki June 7, 20042004-06-07

--
Peter Jakacki

DM McGowan II wrote:
>>>What a nifty idea!! Now I'm interested to check what other uCs can
> "Peter Jakacki" <peterjak@tpg.com.au> wrote in message > news:40c3ac3a$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > >>Huh? Have you never read the data sheets and looked at the I/O >>structure? There is no reason why they shouldn't operate this way, in >>fact it requires more effort in the way of gating to disable the digital >>output. Why handicap a port structure then. The only exception I've seen >>has been on some odd micros where the A/D pins are dedicated and are not >>mixed with GPIO. >>
>>General Rule:- READ data sheets, even those funny little charts and >>tables, and figures at the end of them :) >>
> If I dealt in electronics every single day then maybe this wouldn't have > seemed so cool. I remember coming across something along these lines once > or twice and I liked Spehro's idea. If you don't like his idea then I'll > thank you to reply to HIM, not ME. >
Reply by DM McGowan II June 6, 20042004-06-06
> > "Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message > > news:msrrb0hev8iruegeb28ii4qqaca6dkludf@4ax.com... > > > >>On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:55:43 GMT, Spehro Pefhany > >><speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote: > >> > >>P.S. one more idea, specific to the PIC with ADC and requiring ZERO > >>parts beyond the LED and the resistor to set the current and just ONE > >>port pin. > >> > >>You can set digital/analog port pins to be a digital output and still > >>measure the voltage on that pin with the ADC. > >> > > > > > > What a nifty idea!! Now I'm interested to check what other uCs can
operate
> > this way! > > >
"Peter Jakacki" <peterjak@tpg.com.au> wrote in message news:40c3ac3a$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Huh? Have you never read the data sheets and looked at the I/O > structure? There is no reason why they shouldn't operate this way, in > fact it requires more effort in the way of gating to disable the digital > output. Why handicap a port structure then. The only exception I've seen > has been on some odd micros where the A/D pins are dedicated and are not > mixed with GPIO. > > Also, some micros allow you to read the digital state of the pin > directly vs reading the output register when the pin is in output mode. > Why? This is because the resistance from drain to source of the CMOS > output transistor (amongst other things)limits the amount of current > that can be supplied to the load. Sometimes the load can be heavily > capacitive and it could be necessary to check that it has reached the > state that it has been driven to. > > General Rule:- READ data sheets, even those funny little charts and > tables, and figures at the end of them :) >
If I dealt in electronics every single day then maybe this wouldn't have seemed so cool. I remember coming across something along these lines once or twice and I liked Spehro's idea. If you don't like his idea then I'll thank you to reply to HIM, not ME.
Reply by Peter Jakacki June 6, 20042004-06-06