Reply by linnix August 18, 20112011-08-18
On Aug 17, 11:30=A0pm, Don Y <nowh...@here.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/2011 9:28 PM, linnix wrote: > > > These VIA tablet seems pretty good, around $80 including shipping to > > the US. =A0It's a 800MHz ARM9 based processor. > > >http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-Tablet-PC-Android-2-2-WIFI-3G-Flash-VIA865... > > But, it's like most of the "no-name" chinese products... no way > to uniquely identify it (to determine if *any* information > other than that eBay posting exists). > > And, if you read the descriptions carefully, you notice lots of > little omissions. =A0E.g., where's the "RJ45" connection? =A0Note that > it is not apparent in any of the photos; and, the *probable* > location of the electrical interface -- on the "USB interface" > connector -- isn't confirmed anywhere (where does the "RJ45 adapter" > plug in? =A0where's the *USB* adapter? [actually, most similar devices > seem to put the RJ45 *and* the USB connectors on the same "adapter"]
I believe that they have an external adapter with four USB A connectors on the sides and RJ-45 on the opposite end of the flat plug. It's in some equivalent seller's picture. They are sold for P + S, where 0 < P + S < $80.
Reply by Don Y August 18, 20112011-08-18
On 8/17/2011 9:28 PM, linnix wrote:

> These VIA tablet seems pretty good, around $80 including shipping to > the US. It's a 800MHz ARM9 based processor. > > http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-Tablet-PC-Android-2-2-WIFI-3G-Flash-VIA8650-MID-/260837046643?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item3cbb197973
But, it's like most of the "no-name" chinese products... no way to uniquely identify it (to determine if *any* information other than that eBay posting exists). And, if you read the descriptions carefully, you notice lots of little omissions. E.g., where's the "RJ45" connection? Note that it is not apparent in any of the photos; and, the *probable* location of the electrical interface -- on the "USB interface" connector -- isn't confirmed anywhere (where does the "RJ45 adapter" plug in? where's the *USB* adapter? [actually, most similar devices seem to put the RJ45 *and* the USB connectors on the same "adapter"] These sorts of little details don't inspire confidence :>
On Aug 17, 8:50=A0pm, Don Y <nowh...@here.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael, > > On 8/15/2011 7:23 AM, mk wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > "Don Y"<nowh...@here.com> =A0wrote in message > >news:j2477j$tm$1@speranza.aioe.org... > >> Well, I've been stymied trying to find 4-5" 4:3 LCD > >> touch panels (I did find a nice one at 5" but have yet > >> to chase down the manufacturer for availability). > > >> Rather than wait, I am begrudgingly looking at a cheap ($50) > >> 7" tablet to advance a bit further towards a real "beta". > > >> Also, I need a tablet-like device for another application > >> (though 7" is awfully large =A0:< =A0). > > > Don - rather than end up with a load of stuff you don't want take a loo=
k at
> > the Noritake Itron ISmart TFT modules -www.itrontft.com > > The look pretty good value for money =A0- I haven't tried them =A0(and =
have no
> > connection with them) but I have them on my list for the next time I ne=
ed a
> > little LCD display. > > Interesting devices. =A0A bit pricey in small quantities > (e.g., ~100-150USD). =A0Aside from that, the two immediate > impediments are: > - "Not currently available for sale or use in Asia or North America" > - "One Time Entry - Contact Details" > > (you know, when I go to buy a *car*, they don't insist on having > my name, address and email before they'll let me peek under the > hood... if they *do*, I know its because they want to later > HARASS ME) > > I'll bookmark the page, though, for future reference. =A0But, I > think pursuing the android tablet is probably my better option > at this point. =A0Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to > research "popularity" instead of just *features* (in the hope > of finding something that is "well exposed")
These VIA tablet seems pretty good, around $80 including shipping to the US. It's a 800MHz ARM9 based processor. http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-Tablet-PC-Android-2-2-WIFI-3G-Flash-VIA8650-MID-= /260837046643?pt=3DUS_Tablets&hash=3Ditem3cbb197973
Reply by Don Y August 18, 20112011-08-18
Hi Michael,

On 8/15/2011 7:23 AM, mk wrote:
> "Don Y"<nowhere@here.com> wrote in message > news:j2477j$tm$1@speranza.aioe.org...
>> Well, I've been stymied trying to find 4-5" 4:3 LCD >> touch panels (I did find a nice one at 5" but have yet >> to chase down the manufacturer for availability). >> >> Rather than wait, I am begrudgingly looking at a cheap ($50) >> 7" tablet to advance a bit further towards a real "beta". >> >> Also, I need a tablet-like device for another application >> (though 7" is awfully large :< ). > > Don - rather than end up with a load of stuff you don't want take a look at > the Noritake Itron ISmart TFT modules - www.itrontft.com > The look pretty good value for money - I haven't tried them (and have no > connection with them) but I have them on my list for the next time I need a > little LCD display.
Interesting devices. A bit pricey in small quantities (e.g., ~100-150USD). Aside from that, the two immediate impediments are: - "Not currently available for sale or use in Asia or North America" - "One Time Entry - Contact Details" (you know, when I go to buy a *car*, they don't insist on having my name, address and email before they'll let me peek under the hood... if they *do*, I know its because they want to later HARASS ME) I'll bookmark the page, though, for future reference. But, I think pursuing the android tablet is probably my better option at this point. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to research "popularity" instead of just *features* (in the hope of finding something that is "well exposed")
On 8/14/2011 12:24 PM, linnix wrote:

> [...]
Not looking at *phones* (but I understand your point)
Reply by Don Y August 18, 20112011-08-18
Hi Bryan,

On 8/14/2011 12:22 PM, Bryan Buckley wrote:
> [...]
That;s exactly what's wrong with most OSS: you're just left poking around without a roadmap or any framework that tells you what you might find -- and *where*. No whitepapers, no specifications... you're lucky if you get a breakdown of the "source tree" (which is often of little value as the directory names give about the same amount of information!)
I am not concerned with folks keeping "-current". Rather, I'm concerned about finding the information I need to "go my own way". E.g., you don't care if an SBC manufacturer keeps his "BIOS" current -- esp if you aren't planning on running "DOS" on that platform!
> Sure rooting a no-name device might be easier... reason being is the > bootloader is locked down!!! But what kind of resources will you have > with the device support in SW...
All I need to know is which devices are "where" in the memory map (and, documentation for the chipset(s) used). Since these devices tend to be pretty densely populated, probing theboard is usually impractical. But, inspecting *some* sources (device drivers) would give a clue as to how things are wired -- if the chipset docs are forthcoming.
Reply by mk August 15, 20112011-08-15
"Don Y" <nowhere@here.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > Well, I've been stymied trying to find 4-5" 4:3 LCD > touch panels (I did find a nice one at 5" but have yet > to chase down the manufacturer for availability). > > Rather than wait, I am begrudgingly looking at a cheap ($50) > 7" tablet to advance a bit further towards a real "beta". > > Tablet runs Android. So, I can either figure out how > to root the thing (and then hope I can find docs on the > various bits of hardware inside) *or* build an emulation > system *under* Android to give me the environment I want. > > The latter is less "run-time" efficient but may be a > better short-term bet to get further along with testing. > > Also, I need a tablet-like device for another application > (though 7" is awfully large :< ). > > So, how responsive is Android? How rich is the programming > model (flat address space? protection domains? VMM? etc.)? > What are the *gripes* about it? And, reasons for each > "point release" (i.e., are they fixing bugs or fixing > "missing features")? > > Thx, > --don
Don - rather than end up with a load of stuff you don't want take a look at the Noritake Itron ISmart TFT modules - www.itrontft.com The look pretty good value for money - I haven't tried them (and have no connection with them) but I have them on my list for the next time I need a little LCD display. Michael Kellett
Reply by linnix August 14, 20112011-08-14
On Aug 14, 11:24=A0am, Don Y <nowh...@here.com> wrote:
> On 8/14/2011 8:33 AM, linnix wrote: > > > On Aug 14, 2:01 am, Nobody<nob...@nowhere.com> =A0wrote: > >> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:19:58 -0700, Don Y wrote: > >>>> Well... performance for certain applications are pretty lacking sinc=
Yes, all we need is to change it to start our own. Alternatively, we use a micro with USB Android Debug Bridge to start it.
> > > rooting it. =A0In theory, we can run a custom window manager on the > > hardware itself. =A0Afterall, it's just Video4Linux. > > >> "Applications" are supposed to be written in Java, for portability and > >> security. Native development is intended for hardware vendors, not > >> third-party "app" developers. > > > Not if you know what you are doing. =A0 May I ask people to google or d=
> > it before making informed opinions. > > >> Access to the lower levels depends upon how > >> locked-down a particular model is. If the vendor is selling the hardwa=
re
> >> at (or below) cost, with the intention of making their profit on servi=
ces
> >> and add-ons, they're going to try to keep you locked into their ecosys=
tem..
> > > That's why there is a better chance of "rooting" a no-name chinese > > model. =A0Don't get it from phone companies. > > *Really*? =A0I figured buying one of these was "you're on your own!"
But it's better than buying from the phone company whose main purpose is to hide everything from you.
Reply by Bryan Buckley August 14, 20112011-08-14
On Aug 14, 1:24=A0pm, Don Y <nowh...@here.com> wrote:
> On 8/14/2011 8:33 AM, linnix wrote: > > > On Aug 14, 2:01 am, Nobody<nob...@nowhere.com> =A0wrote: > >> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:19:58 -0700, Don Y wrote: > >>>> Well... performance for certain applications are pretty lacking sinc=
Just download the Android source and start exploring.
> > it before making informed opinions. > > >> Access to the lower levels depends upon how > >> locked-down a particular model is. If the vendor is selling the hardwa=
re
> >> at (or below) cost, with the intention of making their profit on servi=
ces
> >> and add-ons, they're going to try to keep you locked into their ecosys=
tem..
> > > That's why there is a better chance of "rooting" a no-name chinese > > model. =A0Don't get it from phone companies. > *Really*? =A0I figured buying one of these was "you're on your own!" > > Is there a high degree of similarity between products that makes > this possible? =A0Or, do you have to hope to find someone who > has already done some/all of the work on your *particular* > model? > > (I don't put much faith in the "model numbers" on much of this > knockoff stuff... =A0sort of like buying Rollex [sic} watches!)
In my experience you are correct in assuming you are "on your own." There are some devices that have a lot of people in the community getting the hardware working with more recent software (Pandaboard, beagleboard, newer phones..) Devices that you buy have software that is usually forked at a specfic release (from Google and SoC maker) and further developed by the person selling you the device. You are lucky if there is an effort to keep refreshing the SW. Sure rooting a no-name device might be easier... reason being is the bootloader is locked down!!! But what kind of resources will you have with the device support in SW...
Reply by Don Y August 14, 20112011-08-14