Reply by Richard May 16, 20042004-05-16
Colin MacDougall wrote:
> I am thinking about taking a look at networking an eight bit > micro (Atmel AVR). Can anyone recommend a decent book on this > subject - covering ethernet, tcp/ip etc.
Start with project boards from http://www.EDTP.com, then expand to rolling your own. Choose from 3 Ethernet controllers and at least a couple microcontroller vendors. http://www.ethernut.de offers open-source software and hardware designs for an AVR-based Ethernet system. They also offer ready-built boards. Fred Eady (who runs EDTP) also has an article from ~October 2002 in http://www.circuitcellar.com using the AVR STK board and an ASIX 10/100. He's recently written a book, which I haven't read yet (but plan to) - based on his writings and work to-date, I'd give it high odds of being good. Jeremy Bentham's TCP/IP Lean is a good book, with some excellent techniques for compact coding of dynamic HTML content and other creative solutions. If you want to breadboard your own AVR, check out http://picoweb.net for an excellent breadboard project that uses NE2000-based NIC cards instead of chips. A terrific reference for AVR in general is http://www.avrfreaks.net. A good starter is the Getting Started with AVR download at http://www.dvanhorn.org/AvrSoftware/ - it's loaded with default initialization code for some AVRs to help get you started. Have a blast!
Reply by Mostafa Kassem May 16, 20042004-05-16
Colin MacDougall wrote:
> Hello, > > I am thinking about taking a look at networking an eight bit > micro (Atmel AVR). Can anyone recommend a decent book on this > subject - covering ethernet, tcp/ip etc. One that covers the > fundamentals of networking and has a microcontroller slant. > I have very little network knowledge at the moment. > > What would the best way to get the hardware going- > buy a plug on pcb that has a ethernet controller and RJ45 or > try and use an old 8 bit ISA network card ? > > Thanks, > > Colin > >
Not for AVR, but take a look here: http://www.ibutton.com/TINI/ Good luck, Mostafa
Reply by May 16, 20042004-05-16
"Colin MacDougall" <colin |D0T| macdougall@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hello, > > I am thinking about taking a look at networking an eight bit > micro (Atmel AVR). Can anyone recommend a decent book on this > subject - covering ethernet, tcp/ip etc. One that covers the > fundamentals of networking and has a microcontroller slant. > I have very little network knowledge at the moment.
"TCP/IP Lean" by Jeremy Bentham. -- John Devereux
Reply by Alex Gibson May 16, 20042004-05-16
"Colin MacDougall" <colin |D0T| macdougall@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hello, > > I am thinking about taking a look at networking an eight bit > micro (Atmel AVR). Can anyone recommend a decent book on this > subject - covering ethernet, tcp/ip etc. One that covers the > fundamentals of networking and has a microcontroller slant. > I have very little network knowledge at the moment. > > What would the best way to get the hardware going- > buy a plug on pcb that has a ethernet controller and RJ45 or > try and use an old 8 bit ISA network card ? > > Thanks, > > Colin
Take a look at ethernut www.ethernut.de see the adapted isa card. http://www.lvr.com/eec.htm http://www.lvr.com/ethernet.htm also www.edtp.com I've got a copy of his book but haven't had the time to properly go through it. Have a look on avr freaks as well. www.avrfreaks.com http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/links.html http://www.embedded-creations.com/projects/uipAVR.html http://www.beyondlogic.org/etherip/ip.htm http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/0602/fred143/3.htm http://www.hwgroup.cz/ http://www.omegav.ntnu.no/~jonah/el/avri.html http://www.avr1.org/eavr/eavr.html http://www.embeddedethernet.com/ http://www.stelioscellar.com/links/pages/User_Pages/Ethernet_and_TCP-IP/ http://webs.cs.berkeley.edu/tos/ for wireless (These guys appear to be looking for a programmer). HTH Alex Gibson
Reply by Colin MacDougall May 16, 20042004-05-16