Reply by Brian Murtha May 7, 20042004-05-07
You'll want to look at this: http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/M2M_App_Kit/index.shtml It has a dual band GSM/GPRS modem (900/1900 MHz for US Kit, 900/1800 MHz for International Kit) -Brian www.rabbitsemiconductor.com www.zworld.com www.imaginetools.com
> As far as I remember, your one-stop shop would be to go to > www.airdesk.net. > You can get an 850 MHz (?) GSM modem solution which works both in > Europe and now in the USA. I am not sure on pricing though, but > Airdesk would be able to give you exact figures. > > "Bob F." <bobf@phantom.com> wrote in message news:<40981022$0$46514$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net>... > > I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking system, > > but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS. Do > > any service providers support this in the US? I know that T-Mobile offers > > GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support. Do you pay by the number > > of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded? > > > > I posted this question on alt.cellular too. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Bob F.
Reply by arm_developer May 5, 20042004-05-05
mind your language and be polite.

Mike V. <valemike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I was/am/will be looking into M2M (machine to machine) communications > using GSM. I was thinking of using a Rabbit Semiconductor solution or > bit banging a Coldfire's serial port to control a Wavecom GSM modem. > > As far as I remember, your one-stop shop would be to go to > www.airdesk.net. > You can get an 850 MHz (?) GSM modem solution which works both in > Europe and now in the USA. I am not sure on pricing though, but > Airdesk would be able to give you exact figures. > > "Bob F." <bobf@phantom.com> wrote in message
> > I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking
system,
> > but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS.
Do
> > any service providers support this in the US? I know that T-Mobile
offers
> > GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support. Do you pay by the
number
> > of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded? > > > > I posted this question on alt.cellular too. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Bob F.
Reply by Mike V. May 5, 20042004-05-05
I was/am/will be looking into M2M (machine to machine) communications
using GSM. I was thinking of using a Rabbit Semiconductor solution or
bit banging a Coldfire's serial port to control a Wavecom GSM modem.

As far as I remember, your one-stop shop would be to go to
www.airdesk.net.
You can get an 850 MHz (?) GSM modem solution which works both in
Europe and now in the USA. I am not sure on pricing though, but
Airdesk would be able to give you exact figures.

"Bob F." <bobf@phantom.com> wrote in message news:<40981022$0$46514$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net>...
> I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking system, > but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS. Do > any service providers support this in the US? I know that T-Mobile offers > GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support. Do you pay by the number > of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded? > > I posted this question on alt.cellular too. > > Thanks, > > Bob F.
Reply by Mood May 5, 20042004-05-05
Is you mission in life to piss people off? Go away MY_LINUX, that
answer wasn't even an option.......

"arm_developer" <developer@not_sina.com> wrote in message news:<c7aqka$kl113@imsp212.netvigator.com>...
> it is aviliable in HONG KONG. > > > Lewin A.R.W. Edwards <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message > news:608b6569.0405050259.663eba30@posting.google.com... > > > I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking > system, > > > but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS. > Do > > > > AT&T (as of recently, part of Cingular) does. > > > > > GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support. Do you pay by the > number > > > of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded? > > > > It depends on your usage plan. I don't know if they have data-only > > plans, but the "default" data rate is $0.03/kb if you're on a voice > > plan that doesn't include any prepaid data. They do offer plans with > > significant discounts on data, apparently - every time I go into GPRS > > mode on my phone, it asks me if I want to sign up for one of those > > plans and warns me that if I don't, I'll be charged $0.03/k.
Reply by arm_developer May 5, 20042004-05-05
it is aviliable in HONG KONG.

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
> > I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking
system,
> > but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS.
Do
> > AT&T (as of recently, part of Cingular) does. > > > GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support. Do you pay by the
number
> > of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded? > > It depends on your usage plan. I don't know if they have data-only > plans, but the "default" data rate is $0.03/kb if you're on a voice > plan that doesn't include any prepaid data. They do offer plans with > significant discounts on data, apparently - every time I go into GPRS > mode on my phone, it asks me if I want to sign up for one of those > plans and warns me that if I don't, I'll be charged $0.03/k.
Reply by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards May 5, 20042004-05-05
> I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking system, > but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS. Do
AT&T (as of recently, part of Cingular) does.
> GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support. Do you pay by the number > of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded?
It depends on your usage plan. I don't know if they have data-only plans, but the "default" data rate is $0.03/kb if you're on a voice plan that doesn't include any prepaid data. They do offer plans with significant discounts on data, apparently - every time I go into GPRS mode on my phone, it asks me if I want to sign up for one of those plans and warns me that if I don't, I'll be charged $0.03/k.
Reply by Bob F. May 4, 20042004-05-04