Reply by Chesney Christ May 3, 20042004-05-03
X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Guy Macon, of comp.arch.embedded "fame", writes :

>"RTAI's microkernel approach guarantees that the data-acquisition >task will take place on schedule, even while the previously acquired > and calculated result is written to disk." > -http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3816&pg=2
http://www.aero.polimi.it/~rtai/documentation/articles/guide.html "What is RTAI? RTAI means Real Time Application Interface. Strictly speaking, it is not a real time operating system, such as VXworks or QNX. It is based on the Linux kernel, providing the ability to make it fully pre-emptable. " Your serve. [BTW, isn't RTAI a kernel - a microkernel - all by itself ? You could say that this isn't actually Linux. Linux runs essentially as a process above RTAI. This isn't necessary in an OS such as, for example, Greenhills Integrity, which provides guaranteed latency and other goodies.] -- "Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com
Reply by Guy Macon May 3, 20042004-05-03
Chesney Christ <thegreatsuprendo@hotmail.com> says...
> >A certain Michael Schnell, of comp.arch.embedded "fame", writes : > >>> Supposedly the low-latency patch can give worst-case latency of around >>> 150us, but you'd need to check out how this fits on your architecture. >> >>Nope. Linux can't guarantee any worst-case latency at all (I did find >>more than 100 msek with the low-latency patch in very rare instances). > >That's why I was quite careful not to use the word "guarantee". > >Clearly if you need hard real time performance, you need to look at >another OS.
"Hard real-time means no surprises or silent failures as system configuration changes or load increases. Deadlines will still be met. For example, the worst case delay on a 1 millisecond thread on the HP Pavilion Notebook (AMD K7) is 12 microseconds. -http://www.fsmlabs.com/products/rtlinuxpro/ "RTAI's microkernel approach guarantees that the data-acquisition task will take place on schedule, even while the previously acquired and calculated result is written to disk." -http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3816&pg=2 "Lineo Solutions, Inc. (Lineo) demonstrated ... hard real-time support with Linux .... Deterministic time metrics of the systems demonstrated ... is as follows. Interrupt Response Time 5 microseconds Task Latency Time 4 microseconds Periodic Task Latency Time 20 microseconds Timer Clock Accuracy 1 microsecond, Jitter 1 microsecond)" - http://www.lineo.co.jp/eng/news-events/press-release/20040109.html "RTAI - the Realtime Linux Application Interface for Linux ... lets you write applications with strict timing constraints for your favourite operating system." -http://www.aero.polimi.it/~rtai/ "KURT-Linux: Kansas University Real-Time Linux: Microsecond timing resolution and event-driven real-time scheduling..." -http://www.ittc.ukans.edu/kurt/documents-noframes.html -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
Reply by Chesney Christ May 3, 20042004-05-03
X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Michael Schnell, of comp.arch.embedded "fame", writes :
>> Supposedly the low-latency patch can give worst-case latency of around >> 150us, but you'd need to check out how this fits on your architecture. > >Nope. Linux can't guarantee any worst-case latency at all (I did find >more than 100 msek with the low-latency patch in very rare instances).
That's why I was quite careful not to use the word "guarantee". Clearly if you need hard real time performance, you need to look at another OS. -- "Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com
Reply by Michael Schnell May 3, 20042004-05-03
> Supposedly the low-latency patch can give worst-case latency of around > 150us, but you'd need to check out how this fits on your architecture. >
Nope. Linux can't guarantee any worst-case latency at all (I did find more than 100 msek with the low-latency patch in very rare instances). -Michael
"Mad@Spammers" schrieb:
> > I want to synchronize a user space thread to an external event that > generates an interrupt.
Look at rtc.c in the Kernel source. They provide a blocking read to the application to have it wait for an event. Her some data is provided to the application, too. -Michael
Reply by Chesney Christ April 30, 20042004-04-30
X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Mad@Spammers, of comp.arch.embedded "fame", writes :
>Roger Larsson <roger.larsson@skelleftea.mail.telia.com> wrote in message > >> Look twice at this approach! This is the UNIX way - everything is a file. > >Is it a good or a bad thing?
Keeps everything nice and simple. There is a consistent way of dealing with hardware. -- "Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com
Reply by Chesney Christ April 30, 20042004-04-30
X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Mad@Spammers, of comp.arch.embedded "fame", writes :

>> What kind of time resolution do you need? >> >I presume this question was asked to me. > >I am just evaluating how well would Linux (either 2.4 with preemption >and low latency patches or 2.6 with preemption enabled) perform for my >application. Worst case interrupt latency of 400us and thread >activation latency of 4ms are more than acceptable in my application.
Supposedly the low-latency patch can give worst-case latency of around 150us, but you'd need to check out how this fits on your architecture. -- "Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com
Reply by Chesney Christ April 30, 20042004-04-30
X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Mad@Spammers, of comp.arch.embedded "fame", writes :

>I would appreciate having hints on how to do it or pointers to >documentation and example code if available.
What you'll need to do is create a device driver with an entry in /dev, and then set up a poll()/select() call within it. These can be used to inform a user space application that some data has arrived to be processed. Your user space code can open the device and use the above functions which among other things provide the ability to block a thread until an interrupt is received, etc. Much more elegant than signal processing. The free book "Linux Device Drivers" covers this subject in detail. -- "Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com
Reply by John W. Linville April 30, 20042004-04-30
Wolfgang M&#4294967295;es wrote:

> - Let your driver register a character interface > - from your user space thread, do a synchronous read. > - in your interrupt routine, copy the data and wakeup the > waiting thread.
This method would get my vote. The "send a signal" approach is workable, but it can be difficult to get right. This is especially true if your application is already using a number of signals for other things. YMMV... John -- John W. Linville linville@tuxdriver.com
Reply by Mad...@Spammers April 30, 20042004-04-30
Herman Bruyninckx <Herman.Bruyninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.44.0404291542290.9591-100000@srv04.mech.kuleuven.ac.be>...
> On 29 Apr 2004, Mad@Spammers wrote: > > > I want to synchronize a user space thread to an external event that > > generates an interrupt. > > Maybe the ongoing work about D-Bus can give you inspiration: > <http://freedesktop.org/Software/dbus> > One of its motivations was/is exactly to be able to do more driver stuff in > user space, and I got the impression that that was what you are looking > for... > > Herman
I had a quick look at it. My requirements are much more modest and I'd rather use native linux resources instead. Still I will look at its code for some tips. Elder.