Reply by rickman April 27, 20042004-04-27
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:
> > > I want be able to debug it with a JTAG debugger, so ~$300 debuggers by > > Keil and/or Nohau come to mind. > > ? Why spend that much, if funds are constrained - a $10 homebrew > parallel port JTAG wiggler is all you need. The Keil kit (I don't know > about Nohau) is USB-connected and integrated with their proprietary > Windows-only IDE, but to my mind this is a curse, not a blessing. > > > Salespeople tell me that I can't just stick the Jtag onto the demo > > board, but that I would also need to buy their full $2000+ development > > Salespeople have commissions to earn. > > > Isn't all I need just the demo board, a limited free compiler (from > > where?), a PC, and the JTAG debugger?? > > The only way you'd be getting a "limited free compiler" is if you were > eval'ing one of the REALLY expensive toolchains. "The" compiler for > ARM is gcc. *Most* people selling "custom" toolchains are really just > selling custom IDEs wrapped around the GNU toolchain. Some of those > custom IDEs - Keil's, for instance - have limitations. Ignore these > distractions, use the free, unrestricted GNU toolchain natively.
One place where you can get the GNU ARM tools is www.gnuarm.com. They are precompiled for Cygwin (windows), Linux and MacOSX. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Reply by ARM MCU DEVELOPEMENT April 27, 20042004-04-27
we have a good supplies of JTAG for arm7 board.
http://arm.web7days.com/jtag-4.html

----
muc development team

http://arm.web7days.com

Reply by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards April 27, 20042004-04-27
> I want be able to debug it with a JTAG debugger, so ~$300 debuggers by > Keil and/or Nohau come to mind.
? Why spend that much, if funds are constrained - a $10 homebrew parallel port JTAG wiggler is all you need. The Keil kit (I don't know about Nohau) is USB-connected and integrated with their proprietary Windows-only IDE, but to my mind this is a curse, not a blessing.
> Salespeople tell me that I can't just stick the Jtag onto the demo > board, but that I would also need to buy their full $2000+ development
Salespeople have commissions to earn.
> Isn't all I need just the demo board, a limited free compiler (from > where?), a PC, and the JTAG debugger??
The only way you'd be getting a "limited free compiler" is if you were eval'ing one of the REALLY expensive toolchains. "The" compiler for ARM is gcc. *Most* people selling "custom" toolchains are really just selling custom IDEs wrapped around the GNU toolchain. Some of those custom IDEs - Keil's, for instance - have limitations. Ignore these distractions, use the free, unrestricted GNU toolchain natively.
Reply by 42Bastian Schick April 27, 20042004-04-27
On 26 Apr 2004 15:00:00 -0700, valemike@yahoo.com (Mike V.) wrote:

>I'm interested in purchasing a demo board for an ARM7TDMI-based >microcontroller (a Philips LPC2129 to be exact.) That's fine with me, >it only costs ~$150. > >I want be able to debug it with a JTAG debugger, so ~$300 debuggers by >Keil and/or Nohau come to mind.
Ashling offers a board with on-board USB->JTAG debugger and a code-size limited version of the debugger for 295USD. Also they offer versions without CPU and replacements for the normaly fitter LPC2104.
> >Isn't all I need just the demo board, a limited free compiler (from >where?), a PC, and the JTAG debugger??
A free (in terms of not paying money !) compiler is gcc. --- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@epost.de instead !
Reply by Edwin Bland April 27, 20042004-04-27
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the tip to the Amontec site.  Looks like a great debugging tool.
Heard of anyone using these for any of the following families:
Toshiba MIPS Tx3927
Motorola: MCF5249, MCF5282... other Coldfires
Motorola: MPC5200, MPC562, other PPC's

Any other 32 bit processors  in addition to the great ARM support?  How does
this compare to the BDI2000 from Abatron?  I've heard rave reviews about
this device... but I believe it costs considerably more.

Regards,

Edwin Bland

"x" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:408D9229.7010404@x.com...
> Mike V. wrote: > > I'm interested in purchasing a demo board for an ARM7TDMI-based > > microcontroller (a Philips LPC2129 to be exact.) That's fine with me, > > it only costs ~$150. > > > > I want be able to debug it with a JTAG debugger, so ~$300 debuggers by > > Keil and/or Nohau come to mind. > > > > Salespeople tell me that I can't just stick the Jtag onto the demo > > board, but that I would also need to buy their full $2000+ development > > suite. > > > > I feel that if I buy the full development suite (especially with my > > own money since this isn't for work), i'll have the word "sucker" > > printed all over my forehead. > > > > Isn't all I need just the demo board, a limited free compiler (from > > where?), a PC, and the JTAG debugger?? > > -Mike > > Try Chameleon POD from www.Amontec.com . > I am using one for LPC2106 and other ARM boards. This is a very nice > product for debugging ! > > It works just fine as a Raven via GNU GDB. Amontec adds a -rtck feature, > great thing for ARM -s series like LPC21xx! > > TED >
Reply by Leon Heller April 26, 20042004-04-26
"Mike V." <valemike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm interested in purchasing a demo board for an ARM7TDMI-based > microcontroller (a Philips LPC2129 to be exact.) That's fine with me, > it only costs ~$150. > > I want be able to debug it with a JTAG debugger, so ~$300 debuggers by > Keil and/or Nohau come to mind. > > Salespeople tell me that I can't just stick the Jtag onto the demo > board, but that I would also need to buy their full $2000+ development > suite. > > I feel that if I buy the full development suite (especially with my > own money since this isn't for work), i'll have the word "sucker" > printed all over my forehead. > > Isn't all I need just the demo board, a limited free compiler (from > where?), a PC, and the JTAG debugger??
Reply by x April 26, 20042004-04-26
Mike V. wrote:
> I'm interested in purchasing a demo board for an ARM7TDMI-based > microcontroller (a Philips LPC2129 to be exact.) That's fine with me, > it only costs ~$150. > > I want be able to debug it with a JTAG debugger, so ~$300 debuggers by > Keil and/or Nohau come to mind. > > Salespeople tell me that I can't just stick the Jtag onto the demo > board, but that I would also need to buy their full $2000+ development > suite. > > I feel that if I buy the full development suite (especially with my > own money since this isn't for work), i'll have the word "sucker" > printed all over my forehead. > > Isn't all I need just the demo board, a limited free compiler (from > where?), a PC, and the JTAG debugger?? > -Mike
Try Chameleon POD from www.Amontec.com . I am using one for LPC2106 and other ARM boards. This is a very nice product for debugging ! It works just fine as a Raven via GNU GDB. Amontec adds a -rtck feature, great thing for ARM -s series like LPC21xx! TED
Reply by Mike V. April 26, 20042004-04-26