Reply by EventHelix.com April 16, 20042004-04-16
You will find articles about real-time and embedded software development at:

http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/

Examples of real-time and embedded system design can be found at:

http://www.eventhelix.com/ThoughtProjects/

Sandeep
--
http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
EventStudio 2.0 - Real-time and Embedded System Design CASE Tool

http://homeusers.brutele.be/VBeullens

"Mr. Sparkle" wrote:
> > I have (just) completed a bachelor in electrical engineering. > I have no experience whatsoever in real time/embedded systems but I would > like to move towards this field (embedded control systems) > > I have a good analog/digital electronics background, plus programming C/C++, > computer architecture, VHDL and FPGA, microcontrollers. I am also familiar > with general operating system concepts, so I am not a complete neophyte to > this field. > > where should I start with my independent study? > How can I get practical experience at home? (other than downloading QNX) > Can you reccomend any good books for real-time systems and embedded systems, > at both hardware and software levels ? > > what other fields should I be familiar with, for embedded systems > development? (for example, networking)
Reply by Joerg April 15, 20042004-04-15
Mr.Sparkle,

Most of all I suggest to obtain an evaluation kit for your chosen uC and then
start building stuff. Usually comes with compilers and all that you need.

Regards, Joerg.

Reply by Brian Murtha April 15, 20042004-04-15
http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/embedded_ethernet_internet_comp/index.shtml www.rabbitsemiconductor.com www.imaginetools.com
> what other fields should I be familiar with, for embedded systems > development? (for example, networking)
Reply by Gary Kato April 15, 20042004-04-15
>where should I start with my independent study? >How can I get practical experience at home? (other than downloading QNX)
You can get the book "MicroC/OS-II, Second Edition" by Labrosse. It explains an RTOS and comes with a CDROM with the source code. Embedded systems cover a whole range of things. Real-time systems are a subset of embedded. Look around on Amazon.com for books on the subject. Getting books on networking would be a good idea. I see many embedded jobs in Silicon Valley that want some sort of networking knowledge like TCP/IP or ATM. Being connected to the Internet is a Big Thing and don't forget wireless - 802.11 or GSM. I'd also look into digital signal processing. Another thing to do is to look at all the different CPUs/MCUs to see what's available. There's a lot! It's a Big World!
Reply by Mr. Sparkle April 14, 20042004-04-14