Reply by Don McKenzie April 8, 20042004-04-08
Don McKenzie wrote:
> > "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote: > > > > > My personal favorite would probably be the Atmel AVR. The STK500 is > > > about US$80 from Digikey, and handles most variations of the family. > > > > One other plus about the STK500 - It works with legacy-free machines > > via a USB-to-serial adapter. > > Ah, that's interesting Lewin > I was asked that question just yesterday: "will the STK500 work with a > USB to serial converter?" > what brand did get it to run with?
thank you very much gang, got the info I needed :-) Don... Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics USB to RS232 Converter that works http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html Don's Free Guide To Spam Reduction http://www.e-dotcom.com/spam_exp.php
Reply by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards April 8, 20042004-04-08
> > One other plus about the STK500 - It works with legacy-free machines > > via a USB-to-serial adapter. > > I was asked that question just yesterday: "will the STK500 work with a > USB to serial converter?" > what brand did get it to run with?
I have a Keyspan adapter (I think the model# is USA-14W but it's at home, I'd have to check) and a PalmConnect one, it works with both.
Reply by Alex Gibson April 8, 20042004-04-08
"Don McKenzie" <look@my.sig.com> wrote in message
> "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote: > > > > > My personal favorite would probably be the Atmel AVR. The STK500 is > > > about US$80 from Digikey, and handles most variations of the family. > > > > One other plus about the STK500 - It works with legacy-free machines > > via a USB-to-serial adapter. > > Ah, that's interesting Lewin > I was asked that question just yesterday: "will the STK500 work with a > USB to serial converter?" > what brand did get it to run with? > > Don...
The ones you sell work fine.
Reply by Tom P. April 8, 20042004-04-08
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:02:59 +1000, Don McKenzie <look@my.sig.com>
wrote:

>"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote: >> >> > My personal favorite would probably be the Atmel AVR. The STK500 is >> > about US$80 from Digikey, and handles most variations of the family. >> >> One other plus about the STK500 - It works with legacy-free machines >> via a USB-to-serial adapter. > >Ah, that's interesting Lewin >I was asked that question just yesterday: "will the STK500 work with a >USB to serial converter?" >what brand did get it to run with? > >Don...
Hello Don, At work we use Aten USB to RS232 converters, they seem to handle anything from Hyperterminal session to SCADA (Citect) software talking to our telemetry rtu's or PLC's. I've never used it with STK500 - I always make sure I got a "real" serial port on my computer but I'd say they would work ok, I could test it as I have STK500 here. Tom
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:
> > > My personal favorite would probably be the Atmel AVR. The STK500 is > > about US$80 from Digikey, and handles most variations of the family. > > One other plus about the STK500 - It works with legacy-free machines > via a USB-to-serial adapter.
Ah, that's interesting Lewin I was asked that question just yesterday: "will the STK500 work with a USB to serial converter?" what brand did get it to run with? Don... -- Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics USB to RS232 Converter that works http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html Don's Free Guide To Spam Reduction http://www.e-dotcom.com/spam_exp.php
Reply by Brian April 7, 20042004-04-07
yqin_99@yahoo.com (yong) wrote in message news:<be3c7875.0404070432.634bd8d6@posting.google.com>...
> I want to learn microcontroller. I want to get low price (<$100) > develop board w/ C compiler.
$99 Flashlite 186 development kit includes controller and Borland C/C++ compiler version 4.52; http://www.jkmicro.com/products/flashlite186.html
Reply by Jim Granville April 7, 20042004-04-07
yong wrote:
> I want to learn microcontroller. I want to get low price (<$100) > develop board w/ C compiler. > > Recommendation? 8051? MSP430? Z8? LPC21xx? ...
If you want to learn, then 'all from one vendor' would appeal. Look at the new Zilog Z8 Encore XP family, just being ramped. Of the significant players, only Zilog and Motorola have Compiler tools 'in house' via companies they bought. Zilog are the most eager to grow market share, so have very good packages. Also important are On Chip DEBUG features, and Zilog appear to have this, right down to the sub $1 devices. Another choice is Cygnal: They have very good on chip debug, and high performance tiny packages, that are great for volume manufacturing. They also use the most widely sourced uC core on the planet. Avoid cores that are too crippled... -jg
Reply by D. Zimmerman April 7, 20042004-04-07
D. Zimmerman wrote:

> yong wrote: > >> I want to learn microcontroller. I want to get low price (<$100) >> develop board w/ C compiler. >> >> Recommendation? 8051? MSP430? Z8? LPC21xx? ... > > > Yong, > I would vote for the Zilog Encore kit, $40 US. Comes with > compiler, debugger, enough documentation to keep you busy for some time, > and the processor as just about any peripherial you may need. For more > info, see the Encore page from Digikey. > http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch > Hope this helps you out. > > Dennis,
I see there was an error with the link. The Digikey part number is 269-3249-ND . Dennis, -- If sending a reply you will need to remove "7UP".
yong wrote:
> I want to learn microcontroller. I want to get low price (<$100) > develop board w/ C compiler. > > Recommendation? 8051? MSP430? Z8? LPC21xx? ...
Yong, I would vote for the Zilog Encore kit, $40 US. Comes with compiler, debugger, enough documentation to keep you busy for some time, and the processor as just about any peripherial you may need. For more info, see the Encore page from Digikey. http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch Hope this helps you out. Dennis, -- If sending a reply you will need to remove "7UP".
Reply by Andrew April 7, 20042004-04-07
yong wrote:
> I want to learn microcontroller. I want to get low price (<$100) > develop board w/ C compiler. > > Recommendation? 8051? MSP430? Z8? LPC21xx? ...
The thing missing from the preceding suggestions is a means of debugging the program. I believe that all the kits suggested require programming the code into a target processor and running with no means of testing. I would use PIC16F877 processor with ICD1 in-circuit debugger clone ($35) or ICD2 clone ($90) and a PIC-P40B prototype board ($13) (www.olimex.com). For software development environment use MPLAB 5.40 (with ICD1 - note V5.70 does not work with ICD1 correctly) or V6.5 with ICD2. This allows source code debugging in assembler or C. Free limited code size compilers available from http://www.htsoft.com/ (PIC C lite) or www.bknd.com (CC5X).