Reply by stan April 9, 20042004-04-09
i think it's good idea to learn from app notes and data sheets.
don't u think reviewing digital design stuff is also necessary?

"Nitro" <nitro-57@no_spam_please_usa.net> wrote in message news:<avgebabfcnzcyrnfrhfnarg.hvvol20.pminews@news.randori.com>...
> Xilinx offers a CPLD development board for about $49 with the chip, board, > cable and software (just add batteries.) I have seen specials at times for > a free one day class (including the board) at the local distributor in our > area. Check the Xilinx site to find a distributor in your area and give them > a call. > > (Other than using the chips I have no connection with Xilinx, Consider this > the standard discalaimer...) > > On 6 Apr 2004 23:48:42 -0700, Michael Kr?mer wrote: > > > > > > >> Can anyone recommend books/tools for learning CPLD / FPGA? > >> > >Why not just get the datasheets and app-notes from Xilinx or Altera? > >Download the free software from their websites and "learn by doing". > >That's how I did it and it was rather effective. > > > >Michael
Reply by Nitro April 8, 20042004-04-08
Xilinx offers a CPLD development board for about $49 with the chip, board,
cable  and software (just add batteries.)  I have seen specials at times for
a free one day class (including the board) at the local distributor in our
area.  Check the Xilinx site to find a distributor in your area and give them
a call.

(Other than using the chips I have no connection with Xilinx,  Consider this
the standard discalaimer...)

Reply by Michael Kr?mer April 7, 20042004-04-07
> Can anyone recommend books/tools for learning CPLD / FPGA? >
Why not just get the datasheets and app-notes from Xilinx or Altera? Download the free software from their websites and "learn by doing". That's how I did it and it was rather effective. Michael
Reply by yong April 6, 20042004-04-06
Can anyone recommend books/tools for learning CPLD / FPGA?

I am EE graduate(got MD degree 20 years ago!) but have not worked on
hardware after graduate.