Reply by Wojciech Zabolotny April 7, 20042004-04-07
Erik Hermann <erikhermann@amacando.de> wrote in message news:<c48sad$2g4pbu$1@ID-230069.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> I wasn't even able to get hold on a F320 chip, as I don't have > much time and the chips are difficult to get in germany since > Cygnal was aqquired by Silicon Labs. Silicon Labs changed to > a new distributor. The new one simply doesn't react to my questions. > I'm thinking of changing to Atmels 8051 based USB micros.
Funny, here in Poland it is almost impossible to buy the USB capable Atmels, and their distributor refuses to send samples for educational projects. In fact Cygnal (well Silabs) is the only FLASH+USB equipped micro easily available there.
Yes, that'what I've used when developing the programmer http://www.silabs.com/products/pdf/CIP-51rev2_1.pdf It does not describe the debugging protocol/registers.
> > I have the Keil compiler, but SDCC would be fine. > BTW, Atmel has SDCC compatible firmware sources for their USB micros. >
This is the bright side of the Atmel - it is much more friendly to Open Source solutions than other vendors. I love their GCC compatible AVRs and their chipsets for WiFi cards (one of my WiFi's is Dlink DWL-120, based on the Atmel chipset - works perfectly under Linux). Unfortunately it is very difficult to rely on their parts here in Poland. -- Thanks & Regards, Wojtek Zabolotny
Erik Hermann <erikhermann@amacando.de> wrote in message news:<c49156$2f3dai$1@ID-230069.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Wojciech Zabolotny wrote: > >>You know the Rice Programmer? > >>http://www.graphord.com/articles/RiceProgrammer.html > > > > > > Yes, I've seen it before. Unfortunately there is nothing about the > > firmware ("[to be included]"???) and C2 protocol on this site. > > What I mean is the Open Source implementation of C2 debugging, > > available for Linux and other OS'es. > > Found it. The original website is here > http://www.mozzarella.jp/hardware/c8051f30x/index.html > It is japanese, but you'll find the firmware there.
Thanks a lot, however this firmware/PC software implements only programming part of the C2 protocol (something which my LPT programmer performs even without an additional uC, however it is not so mature as the RiceProgrammer). I'm looking for the info about debugging part of the C2 protocol, but it seems that it's kept secret :-(. -- Thanks & Regards Wojtek Zabolotny
Reply by Erik Hermann March 29, 20042004-03-29
Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:

>>Funny, I've done a similar PCB for the C8051F320 recently. > > > Great! is the documentation available somewhere?
The problem is that I had a hard drive crash just after ordering the pcb, so I've lost the sources. But I don't think they are of much interest, as the pcb is only my own cheap version of the development kit. But I'll try to recover them. I wasn't even able to get hold on a F320 chip, as I don't have much time and the chips are difficult to get in germany since Cygnal was aqquired by Silicon Labs. Silicon Labs changed to a new distributor. The new one simply doesn't react to my questions. I'm thinking of changing to Atmels 8051 based USB micros.
>>You know the Rice Programmer? >>http://www.graphord.com/articles/RiceProgrammer.html > > > Yes, I've seen it before. Unfortunately there is nothing about the > firmware ("[to be included]"???) and C2 protocol on this site.
Damned, I thought they were available. I'm not shure, but I think that Cygnal had at leat one document regarding the C2 protocol. I must check my archives.
> What I mean is the Open Source implementation of C2 debugging, > available for Linux and other OS'es.
This will be difficult, as even the rice programmer only implements the C2 protocol and uses the windows based software.
> > However now I'm concentrated rather on writing USB firmware compilable > with SDCC (the original Cygnal version requires Keil. I've managed to > compile slightly > modified version with SDCC but it doesn't work - probably some > compiler > specific differences :-( ).
I have the Keil compiler, but SDCC would be fine. BTW, Atmel has SDCC compatible firmware sources for their USB micros. cu Erik
Reply by Wojciech Zabolotny March 26, 20042004-03-26
Erik Hermann <erikhermann@amacando.de> wrote in message news:<c3u7e9$2ajh6b$1@ID-230069.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> > Now, when my Linux C2 programmer (http://www.ise.pw.edu.pl/~wzab/cygnal) works > > Funny, I've done a similar PCB for the C8051F320 recently.
Great! is the documentation available somewhere?
> > > fine, it would be nice to add debugging support. > > You know the Rice Programmer? > http://www.graphord.com/articles/RiceProgrammer.html
Yes, I've seen it before. Unfortunately there is nothing about the firmware ("[to be included]"???) and C2 protocol on this site. What I mean is the Open Source implementation of C2 debugging, available for Linux and other OS'es. However now I'm concentrated rather on writing USB firmware compilable with SDCC (the original Cygnal version requires Keil. I've managed to compile slightly modified version with SDCC but it doesn't work - probably some compiler specific differences :-( ).
Reply by Erik Hermann March 25, 20042004-03-25
Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:

> Now, when my Linux C2 programmer (http://www.ise.pw.edu.pl/~wzab/cygnal) works
Funny, I've done a similar PCB for the C8051F320 recently.
> fine, it would be nice to add debugging support.
You know the Rice Programmer? http://www.graphord.com/articles/RiceProgrammer.html
Reply by Wojciech Zabolotny March 22, 20042004-03-22
Hi All,

Now, when my Linux C2 programmer (http://www.ise.pw.edu.pl/~wzab/cygnal) works
fine, it would be nice to add debugging support.
However Silabs (formerly Cygnal) does not provide any information
regarding C2 debugging protocol...
Does anybody has any usefull info about it (specs, I/O dumps from
debugging session recorded with dosemu or wine, or anything like this)?
May be just some suggestions?

--
   Thank you in advance,
   Best regards