Reply by Alex Gibson March 28, 20042004-03-28
> > Jerome wrote: > > > looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > > > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > > > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > > > Motorola, AMD.... > > > > > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > > > This list does not include TI, Analog Devices, Philips, > > Infineon, NEC, Renesas, MIPS, ARM... so plenty to research... > > MIPS sounds like a good alternative ..... will definetely look into > that... sounds like ARM does not support FPU.... > > just a follow up... I have nothing against the IBM,Motorola,Intel,AMD > products that I identified... as a matter of fact we use them quite a > bit.. its just that this embedded project requires a non PowerPC or > Pentium (x86) CPU...... hence my difficulty in finding CPU's that rival > them... > > still need to look for 2nd choice to MIPS...
Amd has a couple of Mips chips http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_6625,00.html http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/TechnicalResources/0,,50_2334_2496_7112,00.html what about a dsp chip ? analog devices, TI Floating point maybe Tiger shark http://www.analog.com/processors/processors/tigersharc/index.html http://www.analog.com/IST/SelectionTableProcessors/?selection_table_id=109 Blackfin http://www.analog.com/processors/processors/blackfin/index.html Ti http://dspvillage.ti.com/docs/dspvillagehome.jhtml?DCMP=TIHomeTracking&HQS=Other+OT+home_p_dsp http://dspvillage.ti.com/docs/allproducttree.jhtml;jsessionid=UEGHAESZLW43LQC1JAVBVQQ Alex
Reply by Guy Macon March 16, 20042004-03-16
Jerome <jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com> says...

>just a follow up... I have nothing against the IBM,Motorola,Intel,AMD >products that I identified... as a matter of fact we use them quite a >bit.. its just that this embedded project requires a non PowerPC or >Pentium (x86) CPU...... hence my difficulty in finding CPU's that rival >them...
What is the reasoning behind that constraint? -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
Reply by Michael Kr?mer March 16, 20042004-03-16
jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com (Jerome) wrote in message news:<3f238731.0403151318.782b0d62@posting.google.com>...
> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... >
VR4133 from NEC. VR7701, if power consumption is not a big concern.
Reply by Jerome March 16, 20042004-03-16
Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message news:<Ukr5c.1556$u%1.241075@news02.tsnz.net>...
> Jerome wrote: > > looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > > Motorola, AMD.... > > > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > This list does not include TI, Analog Devices, Philips, > Infineon, NEC, Renesas, MIPS, ARM... so plenty to research...
MIPS sounds like a good alternative ..... will definetely look into that... sounds like ARM does not support FPU.... just a follow up... I have nothing against the IBM,Motorola,Intel,AMD products that I identified... as a matter of fact we use them quite a bit.. its just that this embedded project requires a non PowerPC or Pentium (x86) CPU...... hence my difficulty in finding CPU's that rival them... still need to look for 2nd choice to MIPS...
Reply by March 16, 20042004-03-16
Jerome <jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com> wrote:
: looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high
: throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC
: or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD,
: Motorola, AMD....

Depending on what you really want the FPU for (if it can be
replaced by DSP fixedpoint instructions) the TriCore might
be interesting:

 http://www.infineon.com/cgi/ecrm.dll/ecrm/scripts/prod_cat.jsp?oid=-8138

Probabely a bit slow on throughput though. But then again,
it _is_ a Triple (independent) Core architecture. Never used
it myself, but it does look intriguing.

--
  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
  -Robert Anson Heinlein

		GeirFRS@INVALID.and.so.forth
Reply by Jens Hildebrandt March 16, 20042004-03-16
Jerome wrote:

> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > thanks!
How about Renesas (ex. Hitachi) SH4? 300MIPS for the "slowest" part, 430MIPS for the higher end devices. (according to Renesas web site) Jens
Reply by Jim Granville March 15, 20042004-03-15
Jerome wrote:
> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... > > any recommendations/experiences ?
This list does not include TI, Analog Devices, Philips, Infineon, NEC, Renesas, MIPS, ARM... so plenty to research...
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson March 15, 20042004-03-15
"rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Jerome wrote: > > > > looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > > Motorola, AMD.... > > > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > > > thanks! > > I believe there are ARM9 CPUs around that run that fast. I won't tell > you to look at the Intel StrongARM :) But you can start at the ARM web > site. If you nose around you will find a vendor list of chip makers. > If you can't find it, I can email you a copy. They do hide it pretty > well.
ARM9 normally does not have the FPU and is more typical 200 MIPS. You will need ARM11 and there are not plenty around. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by rickman March 15, 20042004-03-15
Jerome wrote:
> > looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD.... > > any recommendations/experiences ? > > thanks!
I believe there are ARM9 CPUs around that run that fast. I won't tell you to look at the Intel StrongARM :) But you can start at the ARM web site. If you nose around you will find a vendor list of chip makers. If you can't find it, I can email you a copy. They do hide it pretty well. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Reply by Mark A. Odell March 15, 20042004-03-15
jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com (Jerome) wrote in

> looking for 32 bit cpu with MMU, FPU and fairly high > throughput benchmark (> 300 MIPS) that is not PowerPC > or Pentium based... trying to stay clear of Intel, AMD, > Motorola, AMD....
Why not an IBM PowerPC. Failing that, try one of the MIPS CPUs (e.g. PMC-Sierra has a powerful MIPS with FPU). Does ARM have an FPU? -- - Mark -> --