Reply by When Gay Meant Happy March 16, 20042004-03-16
"Ram Dagan" <ram_dagan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, > > I need for a new project a free small OS for the Intel xScale architecture > (strong ARM) IOP80331. > I consider both eCos and uClinux and the driver requirement is minimal. > Can somone point out the highlights and lowlights of each of them with > recomandation e.g. learning curve, development tools, ports etc.
I'm no expert in this field, but here are my $0.02 worth Learning curve isn't that great if you're familiar with Linux. eCos has a Linux-compatible API so programming it shouldn't be too hard. eCos is a *real* RTOS for time-critical operations (i.e. controlling a nuclear powerplant or factory machinery or chemical plant). ucLinux is merely a patch to enable Linux to run on 'simpler' processors (with no MMU). Choosing therefore depends on the application. If it isn't a time-critical software then use uCLinux. Both systems run on normal x86 PC's so it's easy to test and use either of them.
Reply by Unbeliever March 16, 20042004-03-16
> Hello, > > I need for a new project a free small OS for the Intel xScale architecture > (strong ARM) IOP80331. > I consider both eCos and uClinux and the driver requirement is minimal. > Can somone point out the highlights and lowlights of each of them with > recomandation e.g. learning curve, development tools, ports etc. > > Thank, > Ram >
Hi Ram, I'm no expert, just someone making the same decisions for the first time and a little disappointed that nobody with more experience has replied. Here's a couple of links I found interesting. http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3393503683.html // A lot of other interesting stuff at linuxdevices.com http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/pdfs/2003/04/COTS04_softerside.pdf Cheers, Alf alfkatz@remove.the.obvious.ieee.org --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.601 / Virus Database: 382 - Release Date: 29/02/2004
Reply by Ram Dagan March 15, 20042004-03-15