Reply by learn October 17, 20142014-10-17
>learn wrote: > >> My target board is wired with Renesas Microcontroller Unit M16C/6N5
Group.
>> Device M306N5FC. The target board is connected to Renesas E8a Emulator
or
>> debugger. The debugger software that I'm using is Renesas >> High-performance Embedded Workshop Version 4.09.01.007. >> >> I start the debugger program. I click on connect. I select the MCU
Group
>> and Device. Then, for mode I select 'Erase Flash and Connect'. I then >> select 'Power Target from Emulator' and select 5 Volts. I click OK. >> While >> the debugger software is connecting, it says flash memory is erasing.
>> am >> using this microcontroller in single-chip mode. I view the contents of >> internal ROM. They are erased except the vector table at 0xFFFDC - >> 0xFFFFF isn't erased. >> >> Then, I try to download my executable that contains debugging
information.
>> It always downloaded the code to internal ROM but now it never works. >> Debugger displays the following message: >> >> "Memory area error. It overlaps the system range". >> >> Internal ROM is 128-Kbytes. It's address range is: 0xE0000 - 0xFFFFF. >> >> To the best of my knowledge I didn't change anything. Why suddenly I >> cannot the load code into ROM. This flash chip is rated for 100 write >> cycles. Have I exceeded the write cycle limit? >> I have spaghetti wiring between my target board and actuators. Could
this
>> be wiring issue? >> >> I look at the release version of executable, Motorola s-record. It's
all
>> FF's, except address range 0xFC000 - 0xFFE4D has data. This must be
the
>> code I'm loading with the debugger. This is within the system range. >> >> >> >> --------------------------------------- >> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com >So the usual question: What did you do, before you did not change
anything?
>;-) >You say the code file to be loaded is all FF except 0xFC000 - 0xFFE4D.
Does
>that mean it contains s-records outside of this range? What do you expect
>the system do with that? It does not know how to deal with that and is >telling you. >-- >Reinhardt > >
The application code file information in my original question is incorrect. I believe this is a erase problem. Firmware Location tab in the HEW Debugger says Program Firmware is 0x800 bytes, address range 0xE0000 - 0xFF700. When I connect to the target board with the debugger, HEW says it's erasing flash. I believe it's erasing these 0x800 bytes. After erase is completed, I inspect these 0x800 bytes. Not all of them are erased. Address range 0xE0000 - 0xE07F8 isn't erased. That's a problem because my application that I load starts at 0xE0000. Erase/Program from debugger must have been working before because I never had problem loading my application from the debugger. I didn't do anything before I didn't change anything. The only explanation I have is that this is a internal flash memory problem. Only 100 write cycles are guaranteed. Does the group agree with my thoughts? I would like more opinions before I start replacing chips. --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Reply by Reinhardt Behm October 17, 20142014-10-17
learn wrote:

> My target board is wired with Renesas Microcontroller Unit M16C/6N5 Group. > Device M306N5FC. The target board is connected to Renesas E8a Emulator or > debugger. The debugger software that I'm using is Renesas > High-performance Embedded Workshop Version 4.09.01.007. > > I start the debugger program. I click on connect. I select the MCU Group > and Device. Then, for mode I select 'Erase Flash and Connect'. I then > select 'Power Target from Emulator' and select 5 Volts. I click OK. > While > the debugger software is connecting, it says flash memory is erasing. I > am > using this microcontroller in single-chip mode. I view the contents of > internal ROM. They are erased except the vector table at 0xFFFDC - > 0xFFFFF isn't erased. > > Then, I try to download my executable that contains debugging information. > It always downloaded the code to internal ROM but now it never works. > Debugger displays the following message: > > "Memory area error. It overlaps the system range". > > Internal ROM is 128-Kbytes. It's address range is: 0xE0000 - 0xFFFFF. > > To the best of my knowledge I didn't change anything. Why suddenly I > cannot the load code into ROM. This flash chip is rated for 100 write > cycles. Have I exceeded the write cycle limit? > I have spaghetti wiring between my target board and actuators. Could this > be wiring issue? > > I look at the release version of executable, Motorola s-record. It's all > FF's, except address range 0xFC000 - 0xFFE4D has data. This must be the > code I'm loading with the debugger. This is within the system range. > > > > --------------------------------------- > Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
So the usual question: What did you do, before you did not change anything? ;-) You say the code file to be loaded is all FF except 0xFC000 - 0xFFE4D. Does that mean it contains s-records outside of this range? What do you expect the system do with that? It does not know how to deal with that and is telling you. -- Reinhardt
Reply by learn October 16, 20142014-10-16