Reply by Richard February 11, 20042004-02-11
Markus Zingg <m.zingg@nct.ch> wrote in

>>Hi, >> >>Anyone out there using the Dynamic C compiler? If so, I have a >>question. Every so often I get into the situation where not #define >>ing something, or some other simple minded typo (such as leaving of a >>";") lands me in a compiler error message from the math library, or >>some other system type library. Obviously, the problem is in one of my >>modules (or libraries), but it is IMPOSSIBLE to guess which one if I >>have made changes to several of them. Furthermore, there seems to be a >>HUGE dependency upon WHERE #define s are placed. For the life of me, I >>cannot figure out what the "rule of thumb" is for where to place >>#define s. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. >> >>TIA >> >>Bill > > Bill > > Dynamic C (asuming you talk about the Compiler from Z-World) has it's > quirks as some other compilers sometimes have. I recommend you to > change just one part of your code & compile until you know the > behaviour a bit better. > > With regard to the #defines - with DynamicC you don't need to use > #ifdefs to conditionally compile code (if that's what you refer to) > since the compiler will always only link in code that is executed. > While we could argue about the compatiblity of the compiler, this is > one of it's strenghts. > > If you are really desperate, try to ask this question in the > Rabbit-Semi e-mail group at yahoo. > > There is also a complier from SoftTools that is fully ansi compliant > which you could give a try. >
I have used SoftTools products in the past, and, it has been a while, but, based on my experience with them, I would highly recomend using them. Their tech support was top notch. Their response time, and turn around time on fixing a real issue with their products was very low. -- Richard
Reply by Markus Zingg February 11, 20042004-02-11
>Hi, > >Anyone out there using the Dynamic C compiler? If so, I have a >question. Every so often I get into the situation where not #define >ing something, or some other simple minded typo (such as leaving of a >";") lands me in a compiler error message from the math library, or >some other system type library. Obviously, the problem is in one of my >modules (or libraries), but it is IMPOSSIBLE to guess which one if I >have made changes to several of them. Furthermore, there seems to be a >HUGE dependency upon WHERE #define s are placed. For the life of me, I >cannot figure out what the "rule of thumb" is for where to place >#define s. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. > >TIA > >Bill
Bill Dynamic C (asuming you talk about the Compiler from Z-World) has it's quirks as some other compilers sometimes have. I recommend you to change just one part of your code & compile until you know the behaviour a bit better. With regard to the #defines - with DynamicC you don't need to use #ifdefs to conditionally compile code (if that's what you refer to) since the compiler will always only link in code that is executed. While we could argue about the compatiblity of the compiler, this is one of it's strenghts. If you are really desperate, try to ask this question in the Rabbit-Semi e-mail group at yahoo. There is also a complier from SoftTools that is fully ansi compliant which you could give a try. HTH Markus
Reply by Richard February 11, 20042004-02-11
wgrigg@draper.com (Bill Grigg) wrote in news:d79d35f6.0402110953.50d2ebd8
@posting.google.com:

> Hi, > > Anyone out there using the Dynamic C compiler? If so, I have a > question. Every so often I get into the situation where not #define > ing something, or some other simple minded typo (such as leaving of a > ";") lands me in a compiler error message from the math library, or > some other system type library. Obviously, the problem is in one of my > modules (or libraries), but it is IMPOSSIBLE to guess which one if I > have made changes to several of them. Furthermore, there seems to be a > HUGE dependency upon WHERE #define s are placed. For the life of me, I > cannot figure out what the "rule of thumb" is for where to place > #define s. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. >
Switch compilers? -- Richard
Reply by Gary Kato February 11, 20042004-02-11
>For the life of me, I >cannot figure out what the "rule of thumb" is for where to place >#define s.
I suppose the rule of thumb is to put the defines where they need to belong. It depends on the define itself. You might be defining something that later code or preprocessor directives use, so it has to be before them. But maybe the define depends on a previous symbol that is defined in some included file, so it has to be defined after the include.
Reply by Bill Grigg February 11, 20042004-02-11