Reply by Mr Rogers January 7, 20052005-01-07
<GoodEmBed@consultant.com> wrote in message
> Heath, > Thanks for the information about Crossview. I've haven't used it yet > but it sounds like a good way to go. > What do you use to physically connect your PC to the target board? > I've seen some printer port to JTAG adapters, but I think a USB-based > one might have slightly better range -- I've got to be a few meters > away from my board -- and be likely to have fewer problems running on a > laptop under XP > Jim >
Jim, I built my own wiggler, based on what Infineon specified (the circuit is specified in the tasking documents). Its nothing more than a buffered parallel port. A commercial wiggler will probably work as long as the JTAG connections are the same. If you want to use USB you will require a driver and Tasking may be able to assist - I have never tried it. Heath hheeaatthh@@cceerraapplleexx..ccoomm (remove doubles)
Reply by January 7, 20052005-01-07
Heath,
Thanks for the information about Crossview. I've haven't used it yet
but it sounds like a good way to go.
What do you use to physically connect your PC to the target board?
I've seen some printer port to JTAG adapters, but I think a USB-based
one might have slightly better range -- I've got to be a few meters
away from my board -- and be likely to have fewer problems running on a
laptop under XP
Jim

Reply by January 7, 20052005-01-07
Thanks for the pointer to the Phytec board - it looks like it would be
a handy way to start working with the C167 before our new boards are
ready. Personally I'd rather use the Keil tools, but we have a large
software base in Tasking, and it's perfectly adequate.

Jim

Reply by Mr Rogers January 6, 20052005-01-06
> For an existing motor control application, we're considering upgrading > from our current ROMless ST10R167 processor to newer one with onboard > flash to get faster execution. One of the main attractions of the > Infineon XC16X chips is JTAG debugging, with excellent code and onboard > peripheral compatibility with the C167/ST10. (Using a bond-out emulator > isn't practical with our equipment.) We use the Tasking tools for > development. > > Has anyone here used a JTAG debugger with the XC167 or XC164? I'd like > to hear about any good, bad or missing features. In a quick Google > search, I found debuggers made by Signum and HiTek - are there any > others I should consider? > > Thanks in advance, > Jim >
Jim, Just switched from a C161 to an XC161 (I love working on the C16x series - great processor) for stepper motor control application, previously used Lauterbach for C161 (bondout) and decided to just use the XC161 JTag (it supports OCDS L2). Cheaper, easier and allot more cost effective (JTag). I've used both Keil & Tasking, and I think you will enjoy the Tasking Crossview (it will natively use the JTAG OCDS). OCDS via JTAG is not the same as using a bondout, but it comes very close. Think of it as a monitor/simulator on steriods, almost 99.9% can be accomplished with just the JTAG. You wont get all of the trace/realtime info but with a little thought you will be able to find the problem/bug. The beauty of OCDS is that you can use anyones software (Signum, Nohau etc..) and given that you already have Tasking I would suggest simply using crossview. Its very good and is already integrated into the dev environment. Heath Rogers
Reply by sjohnnie January 6, 20052005-01-06
Maybe you allready checked this out...it looked inteserting to me:
http://www.phytec.com/sbc/16bit/pcxc167.htm

I'm currently using the keil-uVision environment for my ST10F269 (No
JTAG...) and for debugging code I use a monitor program supplied with
this compiler (Maybe tasking has something similar?). Keil's support is
good, in the sense of regular updates and they have a very good forum
on their site..

Regards

Reply by January 5, 20052005-01-05