Reply by December 12, 20152015-12-12
Den torsdag den 10. december 2015 kl. 02.02.18 UTC+1 skrev rickman:
> On 12/9/2015 6:51 PM, pozz wrote: > > I don't strictly need a full Linux OS, but I have to use a third-party > > SDK released only for this OS (it is a commercial TTS engine solution). > > > > What is the minimal hw platform that runs a full Linux (not uClinux)? Is > > there a single-chip (integrated Flash and RAM) solution? I don't think. > > What is the simplest and lowes cost solution for a medium volume > > production (1000pcs)? > > > > I don't need TCP/IP, USB, Ethernet, WiFi, Filesystems and so on. > > > > I'm not sure, but I think the TTS library doesn't use Linux services,, > > but only C library call. > > How do I understand which function calls are present in the pre-compiled > > library included in SDK? > > > > If the library doesn't use specific Linux services, is it possible to > > convert a pre-compiled library for ARM Linux to a pre-compiled library > > for a bare-metal (no OS) ARM hw platform? Of course, the same ARM core. > > The only thing that comes to mind is the Raspberry Pi Zero. It is a > small board with the CPU and RAM using a microSD card for storage. It > has HDMI and USB but no Ethernet. A 0.1" centers pin connector provides > I/O. Do you need I/O? > > At a price of $5, I don't think you will find anything cheaper even if > you build it yourself! >
if he only has a binary it might not work on a pi-zero, pi-zero is the old armv6 -Lasse
Reply by Tauno Voipio December 10, 20152015-12-10
On 10.12.15 20:24, George Neuner wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 01:00:21 -0800, Paul Rubin > <no.email@nospam.invalid> wrote: > >> Stef <stef33d@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid> writes: >>> The Renesas RZ comes close, up to 10MB on-chip RAM. But no flash, just >>> add a tiny QSPI FLASH. Never used them, but they look interesting. >> >> You also need an MMU, and doing a Linux port if there's not already one >> is a substantial task. Plus it's a pretty expensive part IIRC. > > Agreed wrt porting to a new architecture. However ... > > On most supported architectures, the kernel runs fine without MMU. All > you need to do to try it is rebuild with one setting change: > CONFIG_MMU=n > > However, this setting is hidden: it's not in the build config menu - > you have to edit the .config file directly. > > The kernel itself works ... the problem is that far too many other > things are likely to break. > > George
The first thing coming to mind is mapping shared libraries. You have to re-build a bunch of helper programs and end up with ucLinux. -- -TV
Reply by George Neuner December 10, 20152015-12-10
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 01:00:21 -0800, Paul Rubin
<no.email@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Stef <stef33d@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid> writes: >> The Renesas RZ comes close, up to 10MB on-chip RAM. But no flash, just >> add a tiny QSPI FLASH. Never used them, but they look interesting. > >You also need an MMU, and doing a Linux port if there's not already one >is a substantial task. Plus it's a pretty expensive part IIRC.
Agreed wrt porting to a new architecture. However ... On most supported architectures, the kernel runs fine without MMU. All you need to do to try it is rebuild with one setting change: CONFIG_MMU=n However, this setting is hidden: it's not in the build config menu - you have to edit the .config file directly. The kernel itself works ... the problem is that far too many other things are likely to break. George
Reply by Jack December 10, 20152015-12-10
Il giorno gioved&#4294967295; 10 dicembre 2015 12:52:24 UTC+1, colin_...@yahoo.com ha scritto:
> There is a commercial arm (lower case) to Raspberry which will respin the PIs to your form factor etc so yes, they will sell into products. > > Colin
good to know. Bye Jack
Reply by coli...@yahoo.com December 10, 20152015-12-10
There is a commercial arm (lower case) to Raspberry which will respin the PIs to your form factor etc so yes, they will sell into products.

Colin
Reply by pozz December 10, 20152015-12-10
Il 10/12/2015 10:00, Paul Rubin ha scritto:
> Stef <stef33d@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid> writes: >> The Renesas RZ comes close, up to 10MB on-chip RAM. But no flash, just >> add a tiny QSPI FLASH. Never used them, but they look interesting. > > You also need an MMU, and doing a Linux port if there's not already one > is a substantial task. Plus it's a pretty expensive part IIRC. > > Also the OP wants to use a binary-only library so it's unclear what CPUs > it's available for. Might be ARM-only. If not, there are some cheap > Ingenic MIPS-based chips that run Linux. See the hardware for the Ben > Nanonote though it's dated by now.
It is available only as SDK (binaries) for ARM Linux/Android (and Intel, Windows, ...)
Reply by Stef December 10, 20152015-12-10
On 2015-12-10 Paul Rubin wrote in comp.arch.embedded:
> Stef <stef33d@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid> writes: >> The Renesas RZ comes close, up to 10MB on-chip RAM. But no flash, just >> add a tiny QSPI FLASH. Never used them, but they look interesting. > > You also need an MMU, and doing a Linux port if there's not already one > is a substantial task. Plus it's a pretty expensive part IIRC. >
Ah, yes no MMU, forgot about that, sorry. No not cheap IIRC as well. The RZ/G does have MMU, but than the on-chip RAM advantage of the RZ/A is gone.
> Also the OP wants to use a binary-only library so it's unclear what CPUs > it's available for. Might be ARM-only. If not, there are some cheap > Ingenic MIPS-based chips that run Linux. See the hardware for the Ben > Nanonote though it's dated by now.
The RZ/A is a Cortex-A9 so that should not be a problem. -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail) The American Dental Association announced today that most plaque tends to form on teeth around 4:00 PM in the afternoon. Film at 11:00.
Il 10/12/2015 09:11, Paul Rubin ha scritto:
> [...]
> This means porting to a minimal bare
> metal system might be messy and not gain you much.
I don't understand why you arrived to this conclusion.
Reply by Paul Rubin December 10, 20152015-12-10
On 2015-12-10 Paul Rubin wrote in comp.arch.embedded:
> pozz <pozzugno@gmail.com> writes: > >> Is there a single-chip (integrated Flash and RAM) solution? I don't >> think. > > I don't think so either. You want a few megabytes of flash and a few > meg of ram for this.
The Renesas RZ comes close, up to 10MB on-chip RAM. But no flash, just add a tiny QSPI FLASH. Never used them, but they look interesting. -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail) He who spends a storm beneath a tree, takes life with a grain of TNT.