Reply by HP January 27, 20052005-01-27
"Steve Calfee" <stevecalfee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:be3gv058ai7ha4irifpggnore47lbfhmfn@4ax.com...
> > Advertisement: check out my new lowspeed/fullspeed USB bus sniffer > that will run from any browser: http://myspot.neteze.com/~calfee/
You've trained your CAT to log USB packets and POST THE LOGS on the INTERNET? He looks like he's concentrating hard too ... http://myspot.neteze.com/~calfee/images/Rusty2.JPG .. do you reckon he'd be able to note down at least the first few bytes of the high speed packets if he _really_ tried.
> > Regards ~Steve >
Sorry. Nice product BTW, but I can usually get by with a software logger like USBMON and printfs on the device. HP
Reply by Steve Calfee January 26, 20052005-01-26
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:36:47 +0200, "Martin Roth"
<bmr006@email.mot.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know if the USB standard allows connection between USB 1.1 >host with USB 2.0 peripheral ? > >I know that you can connect the USB 1.1 peripheral device to USB 2.0 host >PC. > >Thanks, > >Martin Roth >Motorola Israel >
The USB 2.0 spec requires that high speed devices fall back to full speed. When the bus is reset for a new device, the device "chirps" at a rate too high for full speed detection (during reset). If the host does not detect the device as high speed (say there was a full speed only hub between the host and the device), The host will enumerate the device at full speed. Older host hardware will never even know that the device was supposed to run at high speed, it will just work at full speed. Advertisement: check out my new lowspeed/fullspeed USB bus sniffer that will run from any browser: http://myspot.neteze.com/~calfee/ Regards ~Steve
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson January 26, 20052005-01-26
"Martin Roth" <bmr006@email.mot.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Does anybody know if the USB standard allows connection between USB 1.1 > host with USB 2.0 peripheral ? > > I know that you can connect the USB 1.1 peripheral device to USB 2.0 host > PC. > > Thanks, >
I certainly have connected USB 2.0 High Speed USB Memories to my USB 1.1 PC -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
Reply by Antti Keskinen January 26, 20052005-01-26
I'm not sure. The USB 2.0 peripheral answers with a device descriptor that
identifies it as a USB 2.0 device, and the 1.1 host cannot understand this.
If you can somehow configure the peripheral to identify itself as a 1.1
device, then it will operate smoothly.

A later revision host is always backwards compatible. Thus a USB 2.0 host
can accept connections from USB 1.1 peripherals. This is because the 1.1
device sends a descriptor that the host can understand (version 2.0 host can
read version 1.1 device descriptor)

Hope this helps,
Antti Keskinen

"Martin Roth" <bmr006@email.mot.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know if the USB standard allows connection between USB 1.1 > host with USB 2.0 peripheral ? > > I know that you can connect the USB 1.1 peripheral device to USB 2.0 host > PC. > > Thanks, > > Martin Roth > Motorola Israel > >
Reply by Martin Roth January 26, 20052005-01-26