Reply by Phil Hobbs February 8, 20172017-02-08
On 01/08/2017 05:10 PM, rickman wrote:
> On 1/8/2017 11:11 AM, David Brown wrote: >> On 06/01/17 21:22, Grant Edwards wrote: >>> On 2017-01-06, Robert Wessel <robertwessel2@yahoo.com> wrote: >>> >>>> IOW, a signal with very poor directionality, in a room with a couple >>>> of dozen computers, other electronics, A/C, and whatnot contributing >>>> tons of background noise. >>>> >>>> I have rarely in my life been so frustrated, as I have been trying >>>> to locate that dang* chirp. >>> >>> Ah, you wanted to know _where_ the problem was. That's what the smoke >>> and flames are for... >>> >> >> If you have a good infrared camera around (not /that/ unlikely, in this >> newsgroup) then it can be useful to spot problems when they are beeping, >> but not yet smoking. > > If you are just trying to find a hot spot, a camera is a bit of > overkill. A handheld remote temp sensor is great. I tried it last > night and found my porch was 4&#4294967295;F warmer than the yard which was 0&#4294967295;F. The > sky was either around -56&#4294967295;F or it just said "Lo". Maybe they should > have used a few more letters so they could say "F****** Cold". >
On a clear night, the sky temperature in the thermal infrared can be that low. In the atmospheric windows it can be 100K, and of course in microwaves it's basically just the temperature of the CMB, ~ 2 kelvins. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
Reply by rickman February 6, 20172017-02-06
On 2/6/2017 5:11 AM, Paul wrote:
> In article <o78rss$4hb$1@reader1.panix.com>, invalid@invalid.invalid > says... >> >> On 2017-02-05, Paul <paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> wrote: >> >>> Anyone doing that [...] is asking for a DISASTER >> >> Um, it's the IoT. I thought that was the point. > > Most of it beoomes LoT (Lawyer of Things, as soon as it involves > connectivity to '"cloud" or servers as you then have to understand fully > all the Levels of Service and contract terms. > > Just hope the nroadband link does not fail.
Can you say "indemnification"? For some reason indemnification has become universal in terms and conditions of Internet web sites. Once in awhile you will find one that either doesn't include this requirement or limits it to entirely reasonable conditions such as your violation of the law. But 99% of web sites require you to indemnify them against "any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content you submit, post, transmit, modify or otherwise make available through the Yahoo Services, your use of the Yahoo Services, your connection to the Yahoo Services, your violation of the TOS, or your violation of any rights of another." for example. Notice the clause, "your use of the Yahoo Services". You don't have to do anything wrong. You just have to be related to the claim. I've even seen terms that refer to your "alleged" breach of the terms of conditions or laws. So nothing has to be proven. IoT will be run by lawyers and terms like these. -- Rick C
Reply by Don Y February 6, 20172017-02-06
On 2/5/2017 4:38 PM, Paul wrote:
> In article <o78ae0$oeb$1@dont-email.me>, blockedofcourse@foo.invalid > says... >> >> On 2/5/2017 2:39 PM, Paul wrote: >>>>> Generally once somebody mentions "IoT" or "Industrie 4.0", I just stop >>>>> listening... >>>> >>>> IoT is far too new/evolving. People can't decide what the IoT >>> >>> IoT is just a rebranding of network connected devices otherwise my >>> network facing printers with their web interfaces and SNMP which have >>> done this for 15 years and more are somehow different. >> >> No, that just limits IoT to "remote control". I.e., lets you migrate >> the user interface, even dynamically. >> >> What IoT promises/suggests is for devices to know how to interoperate >> and communicate (with each other!). > > Bluetooth, Zigbee and mesh networks promised 20 years ago. > Most of the promises are vapourware.
They all have met their promises. They allow data to move -- but don't impart any MEANING to that data! E.g., BT profiles lend some general idea as to the content -- though they don't GUARANTEE that the content is as expected. E.g., I can deliver seismographic data over an FTP profile or an audio profile. And, no device knows how to interpret that data! What are the nouns and verbs for a GDO? TV? Doorbell? Do we create "classes/profiles" for each of these? So, if you want to "connect" a surveillance camera to a "doorbell (button)", they will magically KNOW how to interoperate? "OK, when someone presses the doorbell button, start capturing video for 15.37 seconds..."
>> I run a rule-based system. So, I have to write a shitload of rules. >> My water heater can't inherently know that it should "sleep" at >> certain times of the day (when there will be little/no demand) >> and be "prepared" at other times. The washing machine can't >> know that the water heater has been sleeping and, thus, the hot water >> available might not be at the required temperature for an effective >> wash cycle. And, neither of them can inherently know that I take showers >> at a particular time of day! >> >> So, if I buy IoT enabled appliances, what does it *buy* me? Maybe >> I can drag out my cell phone and command the water heater to raise >> its set-point half an hour before I'm ready to step into the >> shower? And, likewise, inhibit the washing machine from running a >> wash cycle (unless it wants to use COLD water!) in that same >> period lest it compete with the quantity and quality of the hot water >> available to me in the shower. > > You are capable of operating that 90% of users are not.
But that's only because I see the interrelationships and am designing them into the implementation. Someone with more resources could virtualize all of these interfaces/devices and concoct an "interface description language" that eliminates much of this need. A big part of my design is a scripting language to allow "average joes" to modify the performance of the system (either by writing the scripts directly or sourcing them from others who are more capable in that regard). The point is the implicit acknowledgement that an IoT *site* is more than setting a baby monitor by the crib so you can listen in the kitchen.
>> Instead, you want devices that can discover each other AND discover >> each other's capabilities. Then, "discover" the user and adapt their >> concerted actions to his benefit! > > Back to Zigbee and Mesh 20 years ago
No. Those don't *know* anything about the semantics of the messages and data that are being exchanged. They just handle the lower layers (OSI) of the model.
So you don't rely on a smart phone for remote control! E.g., my neighbor can call the house, authenticate herself and command my garage door closed -- if she notices that I've left it open "all day". Doesn't need her cell phone or an internet connection to do so. I can borrow someone else's phone/payphone and do the same when I'm away.
There were no standards when automobiles were invented. There were no standards for DTV just a decade ago. Technologies need time to mature. IoT is just babble, today. No one has a "killer app" that is driving the industry. The Nest thermostat was "cute". But, little more. "What does this BUY ME that I don't already have?"
>>> That unlike my 30 year old light switch may in 5 years be > unsupported >>> unrepairable, not compliant etc.. >> >> And the bit of kit that you design to monitor their freezers will >> somehow remain supported and compliant? :> > > The important part is monitor as compared to control. > > If the monitoring system changes or is replaced there is not an issue. > As it is the target cost of freezer monitor is less than $20, and the > gateway is interchangeable. If it fails other solutions can be found > or temporary stop gaps or even people going back to physically > measuring temperatures at regular intervals can be used as backup. > > Most controlled systems are heading to it must be controlled or > thrown out on failure. If the controlled or connected system with its > proprietary protocols is unsupported more likely the whole freezer has > to be replaced and has no backup plan.
That's an implementation decision. If I want to safeguard against my car not starting, I can have a second vehicle, bicycle, hoof-it, etc. Its a cost-risk-benefit analysis that *I* do. The calculus may resolve differently for someone with different priorities.
>> Any time you adopt/embrace a technology that *is* moving forward, you >> risk it CONTINUING to move forward -- at the expense of leaving you behind! > > Change is inevitable progress is not > > Many NEW things and CHANGES occur quite a lot are short lived 3D TV, > certain Samsung phones classic recent example.
If a technology ADDS VALUE, it is likely to be persistent -- until made obsolete by a newer one. No real value to pet rocks. VCRs had a long run before giving way to other recording/playback media.
On 2/5/2017 4:24 PM, Paul wrote:
> In article <o788ft$i7l$1@dont-email.me>, blockedofcourse@foo.invalid > says...
Who said it was going to "work out" their shopping list? You're assuming that providing hints and guidance based on observation is worth NOTHING!
> Just because someone has cheapest milk does not mena you > ACTUALLY need any the same or more than last time
Refrigerator doesn't have to tell you that you *need* it but, rather, that your recent usage habits suggest you consider it. And, by noting that it is ON SALE this week (at store X), this knowledge THAT IT GATHERED ON YOUR BEHALF might bias your choices as to what to purchase this week. As is shown, below, there are lots of (INEXPENSIVE) ways that the refrigerator can KNOW what's likely "needed"
> For fridge at home you have had 6 visistors for a few days your > milk consumption went up for that period, you do not need the same > amount for next week. Or are on holiday for two weeks or out of > town for 2 days.
See above. You've made specious assumptions regarding what the refrigerator has to do and why. If I handed my grocery receipts for the past 4 weeks to a 10 year old child and asked him what I should buy THIS week, wanna bet he'll be pretty close to knowing what is needed? WITHOUT opening the refrigerator! I.e., the fact that the refrigerator compiles this list is arbitrary; the irrigation controller could just as easily! But, one tends to associate food with refrigerators so...
> There are two many variables that have to be input even into a > shopping list for forthcoming events. > > ALL the fridge needs to tell you you is > > I am working efficiently (no faults) > > Impending failures (pump not operating smoothly > possible door seal issue, not reaching temperature)
So, once every N *years* the refrigerator "adds value" to offset the costs of conveying this information. And, you consider that sufficient to justify adding components for that purpose?
> Fridge is cooling for thermal mass inside and > the DIFFERENT types of items that need to be at > DIFFERENT temperatures. > > Current temperature is .... > > Power failure ocurred at xx temp rose to yy at zz > Power restored.. after xx time temp was yy restored to zz > at ... (decision can only be made depending on contents)
So, you'r expecting the user to be involved in that decision making process, right? You might want to look at what appliance vendors are actually doing. Of course, you can assume they are all idiots and have no idea of the needs of THEIR CUSTOMERS. *Or*, you can might come to the realization that they see where their customers are headed and are trying to figure out how to get there.
> Putting other things inside to scan barcodes and weigh EACH item > or similar to work out actual usage makes the fridge too expensive. > Just because you take milk out of fridge does not mean you actually used > some because you got called away before putting milk in coffee or tea. > So just returned the milk to the fridge.
Boy, I can see why YOU'd be a poor choice for this sort of task! :> Imagine a device -- an appliance... say, a REFRIGERATOR -- that is aware of your purchases. Maybe even items that AREN'T STORED IN THE APPLIANCE (e.g., toilet paper, cleaning supplies, condoms, etc.). Perhaps it scans sales receipts fed into it. Or, accesses records of your purchases "on-line". Or, by querying a "shopping list" app that you used on your smartphone. It does this every day for its entire life. It sees EVERYTHING (though that isn't essential). How long would it take for it to "notice" that you buy a gallon of milk EVERY WEEK? Or, that it has been 13 weeks since you bought that megapack of toilet paper and, based on HISTORICAL OBSERVATIONS, you are probably due to buy another, RSN (note: no need for the "toilet-tender accessory"!). A "motivated" youngster could look at our recent purchases and come to similar conclusions. [We buy a package of pork tenderloins every 8 weeks. And, have done so for > 10 years as it is a key ingredient in one of our favorite meals. The tenderloins are not stored in the refrigerator but, instead, in the freezer. Tell me when we last purchased them and I can tell you how many are left in the freezer, without going out there to visually verify.] Even if we don't need pork (yet), a device could notice that pork tenderloins are ON SALE this week (and, sales tend to only be for a week or shorter) and SUGGEST the purchase to us: "You aren't due to need pork for 3 more weeks; but, it is on sale THIS WEEK at a significant savings!" OTOH, if they are GIVING AWAY *tongue* (or other organ meats), we're simply not interested. And, the device can be reasonably certain of that conclusion because it has NEVER seen us make such a purchase! If the device has a display (e.g., touchscreen common nowadays), it could simply present a list of the items that we purchased most recently as a reminder to us -- and let us "check off" the items that we want to repurchase THIS week. Or, add a PTT switch (push-to-talk) to the door handle so, as you are peering inside the refrigerator, you can depress the switch and state: "We need milk". Voice recognition software can take HOURS to process this audio and correlate likely results with likely terms (i.e., if "bilk" and "milk" are likely candidates, "milk" is PROBABLY the correct one -- as it is essentially a limited domain application! Not often that you purchase "aardvark"!) If the audio is unrecognizable, it can be preserved in its native form and PLAYED for the user -- either when the user "downloads" the shopping list *or* included as part of the download to the smartphone: Grocery list: Milk (on sale for $1.59 at Foodbarn) Salami Pork tenderloins (two remain) * Click here for audio list of other items not listed, here Do we HAVE to buy these items -- and ONLY these items? Of course not. OTOH, letting the machine "remember" removes the need for manually inspecting contents (of freezer, refrigerator, toilet paper cache, etc.). There's three "solutions" -- none of which require weighing contents, scanning barcodes, vision recognizers, etc.
> Putting other sensors inside to monitor each item or even doing image > analysis, is making a gold plated fridge with technology that will be > ignored. Just like do I need a light switch to tell me the mains > voltage, frequency, the value of the dimmer setting on the panel of the > switch this is Big REDUNDANT and WASTED data.
Refrigerators already have cameras in them so you can look inside your refrigerator without opening the door. Or, do so from work. When SWMBO purchased her most recent vehicle, it came with an "automatic liftgate". I thought this was silly. "Gold plating". I made her aware of my opinion and she concurred. But, the rest of the vehicle fit her needs so we just shrugged and figured it was "extra cost" but tolerable. It didn't take long to realize it was probably one of the MOST useful features for her -- as she loads the back of the car almost daily with items that would be tedious to fetch from the back seat. Point is, you never really KNOW what customers will find useful. Arbitrarily deciding something is "gold plating" may cost you a sale (she now comments about how glad she is that she did NOT purchase a competing vehicle that didn't have that feature!)
> Shopping list criteria is not what should be processed by the fridge
You're right! The TOASTER should handle it! :>
>> Meanwhile, the LCD display that replaces the front door of your >> microwave oven is presenting live streaming video -- while your >> kids are playing an interactive internet game on the TV in the >> living room. > > Why does every device have to stream elsewhere?
How does the display on the microwave get it's content so you can watch the local news broadcast while preparing dinner? How does the TV in the living room get its internet GAME feed? They all need to access the network infrastructure in order to access the material that it makes available.
> Then you get confusion about do I stream from the microwave, oven, > washing machine, fridge, blender, HVAC....
You are streaming *to* the microwave. The front of the microwave being "prime real estate" for a smallish "TV", data terminal, etc. Would you rather park a laptop on the kitchen counter so you can check on your email while making your morning coffee? Or, look at the day's weather forecast to help determine what you might want to wear? Or, traffic reports to be forewarned of accidents and construction detours that you may have forgotten? Kinda hard to watch a movie/newscast on a blender... <http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/family-hub-refrigerator/>
> More tat multi-function products that are gone like 3D TV in a few years > >>> Most devices do not need to update every ms more like 1s to 30s, with >>> response to command probably less than 0.5 second. >>> >>> What the hell are you expecting to send to all these devices even 1000 >>> devices on a polled network with base controller can organise when they >>> should poll, based on priority smoke detector much higher than light >>> switch. If you cannot do all devices in 1 second then the amount of data >>> is too big, the biggest part should be some form of GUID and type ID >>> the rest of the data should be less than that. >> >> See above. > > Of stupid ideas
Apparently, manufacturers are interested enough to commit millions of dollars in research and product development to these ideas. *You* might not want one but, obviously, they think *someone* does! And, they are in that business -- so, presumably, have SOME idea of what THEIR CUSTOMERS are likely to want! Sony took the "pocket transistor radio" and replaced it with a "pocket cassette player" and convinced everyone that they needed them! (walkman) Your cell phone carrier spends a fair bit convincing you that you NEED a new phone every couple of years -- despite the fact that you probably had your original land line set for 30-40 years without feeling "inadequate". [You wouldn't be foolish enough to actually CARRY A PHONE, would you?]
>> Or, are you willing to redefine the devices to be allowed to participate >> on your IoT network? > > That for 90% of users becomes too confusing and leaves the security > issues open again.
Security is an orthogonal issue. When I add an IoT-ish device to my network, I "introduce" it to the administrative station -- a dedicated network connection in the equipment closet (i.e., physical security). There, private keys are installed in the device and its identity recorded with "The System". Thereafter, when it is connected to a particular network drop (that *I* select), The System recognizes its location and knows how to encrypt the traffic to *it* -- without fear of any other device being able to masquerade as that device *or* command/monitor it. No fear of a user selecting "PaS5W0rD" or "SexSexSex" or "asdfg". Keys can be long AND change frequently. And, as the device is in constant communication with the system, if it "disappears" (because an adversary wants to reverse engineer the silicon on the device), The System can mark it as "untrusted". This is possible because *I* have adopted a standard for how devices will talk to the system. When the IoT world gets smart, they will do something comparable.
> For 90% of users a microwave is a microwave
And, for 90% of drivers, a car doesn't need a backup camera. Or, something to tell them when another vehicle is in their blind spot. Or, cruise control that senses when they are creeping up on the car in front of them. Or, a lift gate/side door that opens/closes itself. Yet, when folks USE those things, they suddenly decide they were *worth* the additional cost. Predicting what people WON'T want is always likely to leave one surprised. Pet rock, anyone?
>>> At quick top of head calculation it should be doable in 10Mb link speeds >>> which is easily doable on mains. I can get cheap mains networking that >>> does 500Mb for streaming video. >> >> Will it run in an apartment house setting where your neighboring >> apartments are ALSO using the mains for THEIR devices? And, the >> apartment complex distributes "free CATV" using the same mechanism? > > There are always outliers > > Adding filters or clamps to supply at local electricity supplier point > is not difficult and can often be done by clamp ferrites. Actually has > always been the recommeded practice over here. As it is the pairing > between two premises needs co-operation of both parties. > > If others are using mains for distribution of signals there will always > be an issue.
So, just *you* are allowed to use it? Do the neighbors get together and take a vote?? Or, maybe each neighbor gets to use the mains for a week before moving on to the next neighbor? Does the guy on the other side of the wall separating your apartments have a say?
> If using Wifi there will be MORE places with issues, from poor coverage > due to building construction, and growing congestion of wifi users in > one location by multitude of devices then you have to move to a > different band and oh please update your IoT to new band and hope they > will work.
So *don't* use a shared medium! D'uh! Those alternatives are ways of avoiding cabling costs. There are tradeoffs with all things -- you don't get "ease of connection" without some consequences! Every device, here, is wired. That includes the "appliances" as well as servers/workstations/laptops. As a result, I can ensure that only devices that should talk to each other CAN talk to each other despite sharing a common switch. Spend a week in our guest bedroom with your laptop and all the malware you can muster -- and you won't be able to talk to ANYTHING in the house (even though I can give you unfettered access to The Internet!) Most of my nodes would be hard pressed to gain access to AC mains. And, virtually ALL of them would "look clumsy" having power cords running off to the nearest UNUSED outlet -- instead of siting them where they BELONG. I have 10 speakers mounted up near (or in) the ceiling. Should I install receptacles /way up there/ to make the mains accessible to each of them? What will the next homeowner think/do when he opts not to have devices sited up there? Just put a cover over the Jbox and blush each time a guest asks "Why do you have those blank plates way up near the ceiling?"
>> If you can do it with AC mains, then the same sort of non-problem >> exists wirelessly. >> >>> This sort of control network should NOT >>> need high bandwidth. If it does then you are over specifying the IoT >>> processor and its requirements in each node. >> >> I ran 100Mb PoE to all of my nodes. I regreted not running Gbe but the >> hassles of handling the cable were just not worth the trouble in >> "old construction". >> >> I have 10 IP cameras. What should they do with their video -- because I >> don't want to "over spec'" the requirements for each node!? Should they all >> stream live video OVER THE AC MAINS to a central server that does the >> real-time motion detection *and* capture? Or, send it wirelessly? >> If I do motion detection in the local node (by "over spec'ing" the >> node's capabilities), that eliminates the PROCESSING requirement on >> the remote server -- but, still doesn't eliminate the need to dispatch >> the (now compressed!) video to that "repository". So, there is still >> a high bandwidth requirment. > > You are part of the 5% of high technology adopters, the vast majority of > the public are NOT, The vast majority in connected countries do not have > the budgets for adding all this.
So, who is buying these IP thermostats, IP cameras, irrigation systems, baby monitors, doorlocks, wall switches/outlets, security systems, etc.? There are increasing numbers of products being offered. And, not in the "upscale in-flight magazines" but, rather, in home stores, hardware stores, etc. So, the people who make those types of products -- including LEGACY PLAYERS -- have obviously decided there is a market.
> The simple fridge, light switch etc is all they can afford.
... until the cost of adding these options falls to a point where NOT having having them is more costly than having them. Icemakers used to be optional equipment. I don't think I know anyone who *doesn't* have one. And, most folks have "in door" ice AND WATER dispensers!
>> Should the 6 audio channels for each "TV" be dispatched over hard > wires to >> the 6 speakers "near" each TV? While the HD video is being dispatched to >> the TV -- and, separately, collected from cable/satellite/OTA sources? >> If I put smarts in the nodes (beyond simply reproducing lossless, baseband >> audio), then I can reduce the bandwidth requirements for THAT audio. >> Though, increase the complexity at the source (to mix, compress and transcode >> the audio channels accordingly) > > The number of housholds I have seen adopt IP audio streams in this > country and my small area with some high spenders is TWO, and one of > them regretted putting it in with all the different protocols, > connectivity issues and subscriptions.
Because the market is not mature. You have "islands of automation". Anything you buy is a crap-shoot as to whether it will work with anything else that is offered next year! I know dozens of people who use media tanks to serve their audio and video content. The DVD players replaced by tiny devices that just act as network taps, "stereos" replaced by "music over wifi" to little portable speakers that they place wherever they want the music. When our DVD player died, we replaced it with a small (USFF) PC. I can replace DVD drives in PC's for far less money than a consumer DVD player! And, I can let the PC do double-duty as a DVR.
>> And the VoIP service? etc. > > Number of users over here of VoIP outside commercial use is small as > they use their mobile phones, and then in home the phone over wifi.
VoIP is increasingly popular, here. Land-lines are obsolescent so their ISP effectively gives them phone access. (We've been exploring this option as well). Cell phone users use their cellular providers at home.
> Why are you trying to combine an IoT network with a data network. That > is like combining the water and electricity.
Why not? Do you power your lights from RED electricity and your other appliances from BLUE electricity? Do you have different receptacles for different appliances? Do you only drive on CAR roadways -- unless you're driving a TRUCK (in which case, you drive on the TRUCK roadway?) Data is data. Do you really think your VoIP provider is sending your voice stream over different wires than your on-demand video stream? And, your web traffic on a THIRD set of wires?
> Leave the data network on wifi as for most folks it is better separate > > Put the infrastructure and IoT on different network completely with > gateway. That is how I see it deployed effectively for industrial, > commercial and domestic right now. > > Your infrastructure network has to be more permanent than your data > network that is subject to fads and random changes from your internet > provider change of wifi, change of ISP.
So, if I want to listen to music on my laptop, I have to install a bridge that lets that content flow from the IoT network to the "data" network? Should my IoT devices be prohibited from accessing The Internet? And, likewise, prohibit access FROM the Internet? (then what's the point of having them accessible remotely -- if you won't let them be accessed remotely?) Should there be some special mechanism that lets my IoT TV access the Netflix service FROM THE IoT network -- even though Netflix is hosted on the (DATA) Internet?
>> Shared media, IMO, are NOT the answer -- despite being the easiest to >> implement (for the consumer). Instead, you want to be able to contain the >> traffic and its bandwidth requirements to resources that you can scale >> at will (i.e., add another network drop -- instead of having to petition >> for another frequency allocation). > > Hence infrastruce IoT on mains as the majority of units need to > connected to mains anyway. > > Data networks over existing cable/wifi
Needless duplication of effort. And, an arbitrary partitioning of capabilities that need not be thus: "You're an appliance; you aren't allowed to talk to The Internet" or: "You're an appliance; when you talk to the Internet, you have to use this OTHER mechanism cuz you're not as GOOD as a computer!" (appliance envy!)
> I know of plenty of functioning IoT, remote monitoring etc in CURRENT > use that split the IoT network of sensors etc into its own network > then use gateway to conect to internet, have used wifi but now going to > ethernet from gateway to routers. They do NOT use wifi for the IoT to > gateway. This is ACTUAL products in COMMERCIAL use. > >> As with storage NEEDS increasing to fill the available disk SPACE, I >> expect bandwidth requirements to fill the available bandwidth. > > Only if you try to > > a) mix them
Why should they NOT be mixed?
> b) make every IoT device like a phone able to browse the web etc
Who says EVERY device needs to be able to browse the web? You, OTOH, are deciding that NOTHING should need that capability. Will you then be inventing proxies to run on the COMPUTERS (which CAN access the internet) and a conveyance to port that information to the IoT devices? What happens when the computer needs to be replaced or the hosting OS is no longer available?
> c) Actually think ONE Thing must be able to do all things at once
Why not? Why shouldn't your irrigation system be able to check the local weather forecast? Why should some COMPUTER have to do that as its proxy -- and then transfer the information to the irrigation system? Now, TWO devices need to be involved (and understand the syntax, etc.) in that acquisition task. Why shouldn't a refrigerator be able to research your grocery choices this week (cuz it sees that every Monday you HAVE RETURNED from grocery shopping and, today being Sunday -- gee, how did I know that? -- it should take the initiative BEFORE you need it!)? Or, note that there is a report of tainted broccoli florets that seems to match the broccoli florets that you purchased last week? Why shouldn't your car determine when you need an oil change -- instead of relying on you to watch the time/mileage (but be fuzzy on the actual *wear* that the car sees in that interval)? Or, note that a recall notice has been posted for its S/N? Why shouldn't the motorized skylight be able to see that it is raining and, thus, best close itself? Or, the blinds close themselves to keep the sun out when it is low in the sky? Why shouldn't your "internet radio" be able to fetch a podcast in which it thinks you might have an interest -- based on the previous podcasts that you've PASSED THROUGH IT?
>> If you want to instill some QoS guarantees to ensure the smoke > detectors >> get preferential treatment -- or, the VoIP system -- then you complicate >> the design of the system and the responsibilities for the user (*he* has >> to resolve any competition for scarce resources) > > Only if you try to make IoT devices all must use the same network as > data services. This is the COMMON mistake of IoT manufacturers NOW.
IoT manufacturers don't talk to anything besides themselves. They don't have a broad range of product offerings. How many are ESTABLISHED light switch, TV, kitchen appliance, GDO, AND etc. manufacturers? THAT is the common mistake made, now. Not *how* they do that talking! Choice of interconnect technology only affects how easily the device can be adopted -- not WHETHER it will be adopted. Which Company X wants to take a risk on interfacing to Company Y's similar IoT kit -- without assurances that Company Y's products will see widespread adoption? IoT vendors are looking for the "killer app" or "beachhead appliance" that gets them in the door. But, as their offerings are pricey and cumbersome -- AND their "bench" isn't very deep -- they aren't able to generate any buying inertia. What does the $200 IoT thermostat afford me that my $20 "setback" thermostat doesn't? Why will I want an IoT irrigation system just because I bought an IoT thermostat?
> Basically the greedy practice of all apps, devices, computer addons > software package from manufacturers > > "They have bought our xxxxx and that is ALL they use" > > When the manufacturers of a lot of tat products remember their product > is part of the mix, different things should be on different > infrastructure for many reasons. >
Reply by Grant Edwards February 5, 20172017-02-05
On 2017-02-05, Paul <paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk> wrote:

> Anyone doing that [...] is asking for a DISASTER
Um, it's the IoT. I thought that was the point. -- Grant
Reply by Paul February 5, 20172017-02-05
> [...]
For 5% of technology adopters who will ever afford these things or even think they need them, until they lose mobile phone coverage.
> If a 100-unit hotel/motel has remote enabling of the HVAC in each > individual unit, that (by itself) saves the staff ONE trip to each > room per visit (to turn the HVAC on as the visitor checks in; > household cleaning staff can turn it OFF in their normal course > of duties after he's checked out). > > OTOH, if this remote control ABILITY is exploited by an intelligent > AGENT to *stagger* the energy demands for the hotel/motel as a whole > by ensuring that only one subset of the OCCUPIED rooms can draw > on the electricity required to heat/cool their respective rooms > *now*, then the benefits of that remote control are greatly multiplied.
A lot of hotels use a room cardkey switch to do this already also means only when a VALID user is in the room does anything happen.
Change is inevitable progress is not Many NEW things and CHANGES occur quite a lot are short lived 3D TV, certain Samsung phones classic recent example. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/LogicCell/> Logic Gates Education <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/> Raspberry Pi Add-ons <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/fonts/> Timing Diagram Font <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
Reply by Paul February 5, 20172017-02-05
In article <o788ft$i7l$1@dont-email.me>, blockedofcourse@foo.invalid
says...
> > On 2/5/2017 2:31 PM, Paul wrote: > > In article <o75bqe$n0q$1@dont-email.me>, blockedofcourse@foo.invalid > > says... > >> > >> On 2/4/2017 4:03 AM, Paul wrote: > > ..... > >>> I see enough issues with Wifi in houses not working or because three > >>> people are streaming they get buffering (partly due to low broadband > >>> speed). Often the heat efficient houses have foil backed dry wwalling > >>> (plasterboard), making each room into its own Faraday cage. Let alone > >>> the ones with stone walls a foot or more thick. > >> > >> Or, other emanations that cause retransmissions, etc. > >> > >> Note that not all comms can be easily "buffered" without appreciably > >> impacting performance or the UX. Would you want your VoIP phone to > >> incur a lengthy lag just to ensure a sufficient buffer IN the device > >> to provide continuous speech in the presence of congestion? > >> > >>> If you have a MAINS connected device don't use Wifi use the Mains wiring > >>> you already have to talk yo your base station. > >> > >> Bridging the two legs of the (split) transformer, here, poses challenges > >> for high bandwidth comms when the nodes are on opposite legs. > >> > >> It also suffers from the same congestion that the wireless approach > >> experiences with a "shared medium". > >> > >> Finally, any shared medium makes it problematic to contain the traffic > >> from eavesdroppers *or* malicious attack -- even if that is just a DoS > >> attack. > > > > If you need high bandwidth for smoke detectors, light switches and the > > like then you are doing TOO much!!! > > But IoT isn't limited to smoke detectors and light switches. > > What do you do when your refrigerator initiates a web search to > determine who has the cheapest MILK, this week? Then, follows up with > another search for EGGS, KETCHUP, etc.?
Anyone doing that and relying on the machine to work out their shopping list is asking for a DISASTER Just because someone has cheapest milk does not mena you ACTUALLY need any the same or more than last time For fridge at home you have had 6 visistors for a few days your milk consumption went up for that period, you do not need the same amount for next week. Or are on holiday for two weeks or out of town for 2 days. There are two many variables that have to be input even into a shopping list for forthcoming events. ALL the fridge needs to tell you you is I am working efficiently (no faults) Impending failures (pump not operating smoothly possible door seal issue, not reaching temperature) Fridge is cooling for thermal mass inside and the DIFFERENT types of items that need to be at DIFFERENT temperatures. Current temperature is .... Power failure ocurred at xx temp rose to yy at zz Power restored.. after xx time temp was yy restored to zz at ... (decision can only be made depending on contents) Putting other things inside to scan barcodes and weigh EACH item or similar to work out actual usage makes the fridge too expensive. Just because you take milk out of fridge does not mean you actually used some because you got called away before putting milk in coffee or tea. So just returned the milk to the fridge. Putting other sensors inside to monitor each item or even doing image analysis, is making a gold plated fridge with technology that will be ignored. Just like do I need a light switch to tell me the mains voltage, frequency, the value of the dimmer setting on the panel of the switch this is Big REDUNDANT and WASTED data. Shopping list criteria is not what should be processed by the fridge
> Meanwhile, the LCD display that replaces the front door of your > microwave oven is presenting live streaming video -- while your > kids are playing an interactive internet game on the TV in the > living room.
Why does every device have to stream elsewhere? Then you get confusion about do I stream from the microwave, oven, washing machine, fridge, blender, HVAC.... More tat multi-function products that are gone like 3D TV in a few years
> > Most devices do not need to update every ms more like 1s to 30s, with > > response to command probably less than 0.5 second. > > > > What the hell are you expecting to send to all these devices even 1000 > > devices on a polled network with base controller can organise when they > > should poll, based on priority smoke detector much higher than light > > switch. If you cannot do all devices in 1 second then the amount of data > > is too big, the biggest part should be some form of GUID and type ID > > the rest of the data should be less than that. > > See above.
Of stupid ideas
> Or, are you willing to redefine the devices to be allowed to
participate
> on your IoT network?
That for 90% of users becomes too confusing and leaves the security issues open again. For 90% of users a microwave is a microwave
> > At quick top of head calculation it should be doable in 10Mb link speeds > > which is easily doable on mains. I can get cheap mains networking that > > does 500Mb for streaming video. > > Will it run in an apartment house setting where your neighboring > apartments are ALSO using the mains for THEIR devices? And, the > apartment complex distributes "free CATV" using the same mechanism?
There are always outliers Adding filters or clamps to supply at local electricity supplier point is not difficult and can often be done by clamp ferrites. Actually has always been the recommeded practice over here. As it is the pairing between two premises needs co-operation of both parties. If others are using mains for distribution of signals there will always be an issue. If using Wifi there will be MORE places with issues, from poor coverage due to building construction, and growing congestion of wifi users in one location by multitude of devices then you have to move to a different band and oh please update your IoT to new band and hope they will work.
> If you can do it with AC mains, then the same sort of non-problem > exists wirelessly. > > > This sort of control network should NOT > > need high bandwidth. If it does then you are over specifying the IoT > > processor and its requirements in each node. > > I ran 100Mb PoE to all of my nodes. I regreted not running Gbe but the > hassles of handling the cable were just not worth the trouble in > "old construction". > > I have 10 IP cameras. What should they do with their video -- because I > don't want to "over spec'" the requirements for each node!? Should they all > stream live video OVER THE AC MAINS to a central server that does the > real-time motion detection *and* capture? Or, send it wirelessly? > If I do motion detection in the local node (by "over spec'ing" the > node's capabilities), that eliminates the PROCESSING requirement on > the remote server -- but, still doesn't eliminate the need to dispatch > the (now compressed!) video to that "repository". So, there is still > a high bandwidth requirment.
You are part of the 5% of high technology adopters, the vast majority of the public are NOT, The vast majority in connected countries do not have the budgets for adding all this. The simple fridge, light switch etc is all they can afford.
> Should the 6 audio channels for each "TV" be dispatched over hard
wires to
> the 6 speakers "near" each TV? While the HD video is being dispatched to > the TV -- and, separately, collected from cable/satellite/OTA sources? > If I put smarts in the nodes (beyond simply reproducing lossless, baseband > audio), then I can reduce the bandwidth requirements for THAT audio. > Though, increase the complexity at the source (to mix, compress and transcode > the audio channels accordingly)
The number of housholds I have seen adopt IP audio streams in this country and my small area with some high spenders is TWO, and one of them regretted putting it in with all the different protocols, connectivity issues and subscriptions.
> And the VoIP service? etc.
Number of users over here of VoIP outside commercial use is small as they use their mobile phones, and then in home the phone over wifi. Why are you trying to combine an IoT network with a data network. That is like combining the water and electricity. Leave the data network on wifi as for most folks it is better separate Put the infrastructure and IoT on different network completely with gateway. That is how I see it deployed effectively for industrial, commercial and domestic right now. Your infrastructure network has to be more permanent than your data network that is subject to fads and random changes from your internet provider change of wifi, change of ISP.
> Shared media, IMO, are NOT the answer -- despite being the easiest to > implement (for the consumer). Instead, you want to be able to contain the > traffic and its bandwidth requirements to resources that you can scale > at will (i.e., add another network drop -- instead of having to petition > for another frequency allocation).
Hence infrastruce IoT on mains as the majority of units need to connected to mains anyway. Data networks over existing cable/wifi I know of plenty of functioning IoT, remote monitoring etc in CURRENT use that split the IoT network of sensors etc into its own network then use gateway to conect to internet, have used wifi but now going to ethernet from gateway to routers. They do NOT use wifi for the IoT to gateway. This is ACTUAL products in COMMERCIAL use.
> As with storage NEEDS increasing to fill the available disk SPACE, I > expect bandwidth requirements to fill the available bandwidth.
Only if you try to a) mix them b) make every IoT device like a phone able to browse the web etc c) Actually think ONE Thing must be able to do all things at once
> If you want to instill some QoS guarantees to ensure the smoke
detectors
> get preferential treatment -- or, the VoIP system -- then you complicate > the design of the system and the responsibilities for the user (*he* has > to resolve any competition for scarce resources)
Only if you try to make IoT devices all must use the same network as data services. This is the COMMON mistake of IoT manufacturers NOW. Basically the greedy practice of all apps, devices, computer addons software package from manufacturers "They have bought our xxxxx and that is ALL they use" When the manufacturers of a lot of tat products remember their product is part of the mix, different things should be on different infrastructure for many reasons. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/LogicCell/> Logic Gates Education <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/> Raspberry Pi Add-ons <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/fonts/> Timing Diagram Font <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
Reply by Don Y February 5, 20172017-02-05
On 2/5/2017 3:22 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
> On 05/02/17 18:10, Don Y wrote: >> On 2/5/2017 2:11 AM, Tom Gardner wrote: >>> On 05/02/17 08:00, Robert Wessel wrote: >>>> On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 14:42:43 -0000 (UTC), mac <acolvin@efunct.com> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>>> >>>>>> There are also a number of smoke detectors that are (or can be) >>>>>> Internet connected. Many of those also avoid the need for wires to >>>>>> interconnect multiple detectors in a house. >>>>> >>>>> Because, what could go wrong? >>> >>> Start with the company going broke and its servers being >>> turned off! Then consider technical issues. >> >> I can't believe (?) that a smoke detector has to contact the >> manufacturer's server before it can contact its *peer* smoke >> detector in the next room! (?) >> >> I also don't see the need for a real 802.11 stack just to chat >> with another smoke detector WITHOUT RUNNING WIRES in the home. >> >> This sounds like a case for "shoot the engineer"... > > Well, yes. > > I remember a ong-running advert for a car, where every > feature was marked "No", e.g. > water-cooled engine: no > except for > central door locking: yes[1] > [1]all doors can be reached from the drivers seat
<grin> In the WiFi IoT device case, the feature was implemented to satisfy some OTHER aspect of the manufacturer's design (marketing) goals and RATIONALIZED for a different reason (interconnectivity). Realistically, they sat down and said, "How can we get a foothold in EVERY house? Not just the folks who have infants (baby monitors) or air conditioning (heating/cooling thermostats) or garages (GDO's) or gardens (irrigation systems) or..." And, they came up with: - thermostats - smoke detectors Because these are low cost "investments" -- both in terms of manufacture/design AND saleability. E.g., they could also have said "refrigerators"... but, that requires far more of an investment to manufacture and then SELL them -- and convince EVERYONE to buy *yours* instead of one from a more established manufacturer! Ditto TV's. Next, ask yourself why they wanted to be *in* every home...
On 2/5/2017 2:39 PM, Paul wrote:
>>> Generally once somebody mentions "IoT" or "Industrie 4.0", I just stop >>> listening... >> >> IoT is far too new/evolving. People can't decide what the IoT > > IoT is just a rebranding of network connected devices otherwise my > network facing printers with their web interfaces and SNMP which have > done this for 15 years and more are somehow different.
No, that just limits IoT to "remote control". I.e., lets you migrate the user interface, even dynamically. What IoT promises/suggests is for devices to know how to interoperate and communicate (with each other!). I run a rule-based system. So, I have to write a shitload of rules. My water heater can't inherently know that it should "sleep" at certain times of the day (when there will be little/no demand) and be "prepared" at other times. The washing machine can't know that the water heater has been sleeping and, thus, the hot water available might not be at the required temperature for an effective wash cycle. And, neither of them can inherently know that I take showers at a particular time of day! So, if I buy IoT enabled appliances, what does it *buy* me? Maybe I can drag out my cell phone and command the water heater to raise its set-point half an hour before I'm ready to step into the shower? And, likewise, inhibit the washing machine from running a wash cycle (unless it wants to use COLD water!) in that same period lest it compete with the quantity and quality of the hot water available to me in the shower. Instead, you want devices that can discover each other AND discover each other's capabilities. Then, "discover" the user and adapt their concerted actions to his benefit!
>> environment will look like, how much of it will be covered in >> standards (i.e., which OSI layers), what the goals of the market will >> be, etc. > > It is rebranding just like 'Cloud' BS first of all > "There is NO cloud it is just someone elses computer" > Cloud is a rebranding of a mixture of things > Web/FTP and other usages > 1960's buying of mainframe time slices
No, that's simply not worth the effort. Do you *really* care if you can turn your back porch light on from your desk at work? Or, check to see if you've remembered to close the garage door while you're waiting for your aircraft to depart? Connectivity ONLY gives you those things. If a 100-unit hotel/motel has remote enabling of the HVAC in each individual unit, that (by itself) saves the staff ONE trip to each room per visit (to turn the HVAC on as the visitor checks in; household cleaning staff can turn it OFF in their normal course of duties after he's checked out). OTOH, if this remote control ABILITY is exploited by an intelligent AGENT to *stagger* the energy demands for the hotel/motel as a whole by ensuring that only one subset of the OCCUPIED rooms can draw on the electricity required to heat/cool their respective rooms *now*, then the benefits of that remote control are greatly multiplied.
>> Beyond the MECHANICS of communication, there's the whole semantic >> issue -- how do you codify *meaning* across an unconstrained set of >> devices/applications? > > Most using Bluetooth, unlicensed ISM radio bands, Wifi band and some > using fixed wiring protocols that have been around for years. > > One of my clients is moving a lot of their stuff AWAY from wifi to > wired due to site installation problems as their product involves > monitoring fridges, freezers for large establishments. The wifi or radio > is sporadic on a few sites or so clogged with employees phones > continually using wifi bands a stheir phone apps continually phone home.
Yes, but they're just using it for remote control and monitoring. The freezers don't "coordinate their use of power" to minimize the PEAK demand (many electric tariffs are peak-demand-related). And, when conditions are such that duty-cycle limiting each individual freezer's power needs leaves one or more freezers unable to meeting their cooling requirements (hypothetical), do they know how to *shed* their individual requirements in favor of maintaining the freezer(s) with the most perishable items? "Boy, I had my compressor running for the full timeslice that I've been allotted and I *still* can't maintain the desired temperature specified for me! These folks are going to be really upset to discover their ICE CREAM is melted..." "Yeah, I'm in a similar predicament. Its a shame to think about all the STEAKS that the cafeteria won't be able to serve due to spoilage!" "You guys think YOU'VE got it bad? Imagine what happens when the hospital staff -- annoyed at having to eat hamburger instead of steak and jello instead of ice cream -- discovers that their BLOOD SUPPLY is tainted!" IMO, IoT only has value if the networked devices can then form a gestalt that adds value beyond their individual values. That means having more in the mix than just "connectivity".
>> So, individual players are trying to bring their own mini-ecosystems >> to the market and, of course, they are too narrow in scope. You then >> end up with little islands of automation that do little more than >> give you remote control. > > That unlike my 30 year old light switch may in 5 years be unsupported > unrepairable, not compliant etc..
And the bit of kit that you design to monitor their freezers will somehow remain supported and compliant? :> Any time you adopt/embrace a technology that *is* moving forward, you risk it CONTINUING to move forward -- at the expense of leaving you behind! We've been looking at replacing some toilets. For *decades*, maintaining a toilet was a no-brainer; the guts had been reasonably standardized so that even with variations in manufacturing techniques and approaches to the problem, you'd have affordable options at your corner store. Now, not so. While the cost of the fixture isn't much... and, the effort to install it isn't difficult nor tedious (nor challenging)... it is still not the sort of decision you want to make lightly and CHANGE if you choose wrong! Given that each manufacturer has come up with their own "innards" for their products, how do you know which manufacturers have made bad design choices that will bite *you* a year or two down the line (recall changing toilets isn't something you do on a whim)? Which will remain viable producers? Which will *abandon* their products (because only you and three other j'mokes happened to buy them)? *So* much easier/safer when things were static and mature!
Reply by Tom Gardner February 5, 20172017-02-05