Reply by Henry January 7, 20042004-01-07
Difficult to ask a unknown question :)

Reply by Hans-Bernhard Broeker January 6, 20042004-01-06
Henry <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote:
> I didn't notice any further discussion to the subject but would like that!!
Ask new question, then ;-) The old ones seem to be considered settled by everybody else. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Reply by Henry January 6, 20042004-01-06
I didn't notice any further discussion to the subject but would like that!!
Hopefully it goes on ...

Reply by Henry December 25, 20032003-12-25
Hi!
I feel a strong need for a i2c newsgroup, webpage or yahoo group. Exists?
All the webpages I know a very limited in parts to the subject i2c.

82B96 background info from Philips is here (interesting as they show other
vendors circuits and historical info)
http://my.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/other/mcu/notes_82b96.pdf
Yes, I think the 82B96 doesn't know anything about the protocol. As I
understand it the device works by sensing a differential voltage between
external and internal signal. The Philips block diagram shows voltage
sources of 0.6 volts in-line (= diodes?).

Reply by Henry December 25, 20032003-12-25
Surely.
The Philips 82B96 does isolation for i2c with a little help. What you
describe is more like Ethernet or other "networks".
You can directly add chips to the bus and that is the benefit of i2c.

Reply by Henry December 25, 20032003-12-25
We speak about i2c ! Having the benefit of directly interface to a mass of
different chips. Current loops is another field.

Reply by rickman December 22, 20032003-12-22
Tauno Voipio wrote:
> > "Jacek R. Radzikowski" <jacek+maqmba@spamer.die.die.die.piranet.org> wrote > in message news:bs4ltb$mki$1@www.itl.waw.pl... > > Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio@iki.fi.spambait_remove.invalid> wrote: > > > > > "Henry" <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote in message > > > news:3fe373ce_1@news.arcor-ip.de... > > >> Hi! > > >> I need a i2c bus isolation with optocouplers or another technology. > Google > > >> doesn't know interesting hits. Any hints other than the Philips > solution > > >> with i2c bus drivers and optocouplers? An integrated solution as a > cheap > > >> sockable DIP or SMD device would be great. > > >> I wonder that none of the big semiconductor producers is interested > > >> producing such a device many people need. Hey marketing engineer, where > > > are > > >> you?? > > >> Greetings - > > >> Henry > > > > > Did you just ask for isolation of Maxim/Dallas single-wire bus? > > > > > The basic problem is the same: the bus is essentially an open-drain > > > bidirectional bus, but the available isolators are unidirectional. You > need > > > to bridge both the clock and the data line with two isloators each, one > for > > > each direction. To prvent inventing an isolating flip-flop, the isolator > has > > > to understand pretty deeply the bus protocol to select the direction > > > properly. The contention mechanisms in I2C make this a challenging > > > situation. > > > > Take look at http://www.esacademy.com/faq/i2c/q_and_a/faq/i2cqa3.htm. > > This circuit should do the job (although I haven't tested it). > > > > Did you notice that there is a severe speed restriction? > > The circuit does not go over 10 kHz, but the bus is 100 kHz or faster.
I don't see any obvious reason why this circuit won't work at higher speeds than 10kHz. But I do see a problem which would result in a glitch when both sides are driving the bus and one side releases. As the released side rises, it has to reach a voltage of around 3.4 volts before the opto cuts off enough to let the other side turn on to drive back. This will be a short glitch and it is likely that the side doing the release will not be watching. But if any transactions are edge detected, this is likely to cause a false edge. Perhaps this has something to do with the speed limitation? -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Reply by Tauno Voipio December 21, 20032003-12-21
"Jacek R. Radzikowski" <jacek+maqmba@spamer.die.die.die.piranet.org> wrote
in message news:bs4ltb$mki$1@www.itl.waw.pl...
> Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio@iki.fi.spambait_remove.invalid> wrote: > > > "Henry" <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote in message > > news:3fe373ce_1@news.arcor-ip.de... > >> Hi! > >> I need a i2c bus isolation with optocouplers or another technology.
Google
> >> doesn't know interesting hits. Any hints other than the Philips
solution
> >> with i2c bus drivers and optocouplers? An integrated solution as a
cheap
> >> sockable DIP or SMD device would be great. > >> I wonder that none of the big semiconductor producers is interested > >> producing such a device many people need. Hey marketing engineer, where > > are > >> you?? > >> Greetings - > >> Henry > > > Did you just ask for isolation of Maxim/Dallas single-wire bus? > > > The basic problem is the same: the bus is essentially an open-drain > > bidirectional bus, but the available isolators are unidirectional. You
need
> > to bridge both the clock and the data line with two isloators each, one
for
> > each direction. To prvent inventing an isolating flip-flop, the isolator
has
> > to understand pretty deeply the bus protocol to select the direction > > properly. The contention mechanisms in I2C make this a challenging > > situation. > > Take look at http://www.esacademy.com/faq/i2c/q_and_a/faq/i2cqa3.htm. > This circuit should do the job (although I haven't tested it). >
Did you notice that there is a severe speed restriction? The circuit does not go over 10 kHz, but the bus is 100 kHz or faster. Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi
Reply by Jacek Rafal Radzikowski December 21, 20032003-12-21
Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio@iki.fi.spambait_remove.invalid> wrote:

> "Henry" <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote in message > news:3fe373ce_1@news.arcor-ip.de... >> Hi! >> I need a i2c bus isolation with optocouplers or another technology. Google >> doesn't know interesting hits. Any hints other than the Philips solution >> with i2c bus drivers and optocouplers? An integrated solution as a cheap >> sockable DIP or SMD device would be great. >> I wonder that none of the big semiconductor producers is interested >> producing such a device many people need. Hey marketing engineer, where > are >> you?? >> Greetings - >> Henry
> Did you just ask for isolation of Maxim/Dallas single-wire bus?
> The basic problem is the same: the bus is essentially an open-drain > bidirectional bus, but the available isolators are unidirectional. You need > to bridge both the clock and the data line with two isloators each, one for > each direction. To prvent inventing an isolating flip-flop, the isolator has > to understand pretty deeply the bus protocol to select the direction > properly. The contention mechanisms in I2C make this a challenging > situation.
Take look at http://www.esacademy.com/faq/i2c/q_and_a/faq/i2cqa3.htm. This circuit should do the job (although I haven't tested it). j.
Reply by CBFalconer December 20, 20032003-12-20
rickman wrote:
> Tauno Voipio wrote: > >
... snip ...
> [...]
Simplify :-) You want a one wire path that detects collisions, can be 'wire or' connected, opto-isolated, etc. Go back further than open collectors and, presto: Current loop. Think mark/space. I have driven 20 mA current loops, opto-isolated, through literally miles of extremely noisy environments, surrounded by elevators, diathermy, x-rays, you name it. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!