Reply by Ulf Samuelsson February 8, 20052005-02-08
"Ron" <ron@rtds.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi guys, > > I'm looking at ways to update our companies firmware out in the field (it > will mostly be fpga code in .bit format). A USB memory stick would work > nicely for this. Do any of you have any recommendations on a > microcontroller that has a USB host core? Or what about USB-OTG? > > The port would only use a memory stick, no HID devices, etc. > > Thanks > > Ron > >
The AT43USB380 is built to handle exactly this case. It has an internal controller, that runs the USB host stack. You need an external processor which runs the Mass Storage Device Class. The S/W has been tested for compliance with a number of memory sticks. The library to handle the USB Mass Storage stadnard si about 20 kB. The library to support the memory stciks on the market is currently 40 kB. Atmel has a compatability document which shows what memory sticks have been tested. Since the library is delivered in binary form, you have to use an "approved" CPU architecture, like the AVR, ARM, PowerPC etc. It has OTG functinality as well, but then you need a small analog chip outside. Typically the 12 mA current provided by an OTG host is not sufficient for a memorystick. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by Joerg February 8, 20052005-02-08
Hello Lewin,

>It's probably a much safer idea to pick a removable flash media >standard, such as SD or CompactFlash, and interface directly to it. > >
Except that these media are more prone to damage in a rough industrial environment. A USB stick is quite tough, put the cap on and place it in the shirt pocket or tool box. Even if the cap is lost they can still be pretty reliable for a while. For a real rough industrial environment I'd look into coin cell type memories. The only downside of those is that handling with gloves is next to impossible and they are so small that they easily become lost. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply by February 8, 20052005-02-08
> will mostly be fpga code in .bit format). A USB memory stick would
work
> nicely for this. Do any of you have any recommendations on a
Just be warned that the only testing these vendors do is "does it work with Windows?". I used to have a page bookmarked - I can't find it any more - that talked of horror stories with various mass-storage devices - weird noncompliant behavior, and so on. It's probably a much safer idea to pick a removable flash media standard, such as SD or CompactFlash, and interface directly to it.
Reply by Ron February 8, 20052005-02-08