Reply by David Lawson February 15, 20052005-02-15
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:21:48 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:

>Never tried, but I think you can chain two 16 bit timers on the AT91. >If you dont want to waste timers: > >If you run at 50 Mhz, and have a top value of 50000, you also get a >free clock tick for an operating system. > >The clock tick will update the upper 16 bits for the 32 bit timer, >and the capture interrupt will read from the SRAM location. >Is this to reduce power consumption or to reduce interrupt rates?.
I was thinking of trying to connect timer2 to timer1 to see if I can get a 32 bit capture to work. I wasn't sure if that would work. I'm using tioa2 to get a 16 bit capture. I'll give that a try. I may need to read some very low rpm's, so 16 bits might not be enough. I'm running timer0 as the system timer. David
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson February 14, 20052005-02-14

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
"David Lawson" <david_lawson@xdevnullx.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I'm trying to find an ARM chip that has a 32 bit capture timer. I can't
find any from Atmel.
> Does anyone else make such a thing? > >
Reply by Nicholas O. Lindan February 14, 20052005-02-14
"David Lawson" <david_lawson@xdevnullx.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to find an ARM chip that has a 32 bit capture timer. I can't find
any from Atmel.
> Does anyone else make such a thing?
Yes, but in software. With a 65MHz input to the timer the overflow rate is 1 KHz and easily handled by a 6-instruction software interrupt routine. At ~1-2 MHz the rate is 30 - 60Hz. By reading the software counter before and after reading the hardware timer it is possible to get 100% reliable on-the-fly counts. -- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/
Reply by Richard Tuffin February 14, 20052005-02-14
"David Lawson"  wrote  I'm trying to find an ARM chip that has a 32 bit
capture timer. I can't find any from Atmel.
> Does anyone else make such a thing?
The Philips LPC2000 series have 2 32 bit timers with 3 or 4 32 bit capture channels each. http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/catalog/45988/45993/index.html#45993 Richard Tuffin
Reply by Jim Granville February 14, 20052005-02-14
David Lawson wrote:
> I'm trying to find an ARM chip that has a 32 bit capture timer. I can't find any from Atmel. > Does anyone else make such a thing?
Maybe Philips LPC213x series, and the TI TMS470's have advanced timers, with a small timer control unit (opcodes) ?. -jg
Reply by R Adsett February 14, 20052005-02-14
In article <l7r111h8hktk8em5hkq3n22t5mhn4ctmft@4ax.com>,
david_lawson@xdevnullx.com says...
> I'm trying to find an ARM chip that has a 32 bit capture timer. I can't find any from Atmel. > Does anyone else make such a thing? >
Philips, all of their ARM (LPC2000) timers appear to be 32bits. Robert
Reply by David Lawson February 14, 20052005-02-14